Do herbs, supplements, diet, etc. help?

macro

Type of diabetes
HCP
Hi guys,
Because I was diagnosed so late in life and probably had CFRD /type3 for many years before I was, I had been extremely ill for a very long time. My experiences with doctors in those days weren't very good (understatement, lol), so out of sheer desperation I started studying natural medicine. When my weight dropped to as little as 4st. (24kg) at times, I really hadn't been left any other choice, as the doctors that I personally encountered didn't seem to recognise what was wrong with me. Too many different things wrong with me, so they treated me as a hypochondriac, rather than testing me for CF (and following that, CFRD), as I had been asking them to do for years! When I eventually found a decent GP willing to have a proper look, I was quickly diagnosed with half a dozen illnesses/complications of CF...

Anyway, in those VERY desperate years I had found many natural means which were somewhat helpful and which altogether certainly saved my life until I was properly diagnosed. So I wondered which, if any, natural health products have you found helpful and why/how?

S

Shar67

I know some people have found yoga helpful. If you take replacement digestive enzymes a low fat diet is usually recommended, though some people find the LCHF diet helpful.
It is a very individual thing but I find the more natural your food the better your body is

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I have tried a range of alternatives without significant benefit, until I was becoming crippled with complications.
Then with advice from contributors here I cut out carbohydrates, & increased veg & fatty foods. In THREE MONTHS my health was restored.

Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

I have tried a range of alternatives without significant benefit, until I was becoming crippled with complications.
Then with advice from contributors here I cut out carbohydrates, & increased veg & fatty foods. In THREE MONTHS my health was restored.

As I said LCHF is not suitable for most 3c diabetics as we cannot digest fat without taking replacement enzymes as our pancs don't produce them any more, it is more of a challenge, I think a proper diet would be high protein rather than fat depending on person. Unfortunately if I was at a perfect weight and perfect HbA I would still be diabetic and still not able to digest food without replacement enzymes.

Replacement enzymes are under brand name Creon, they are made from pig pancreas (Muslim and Jews have dispensation from chief Iman and Rabbi to take these as there is no alternative)
I don't know exactly what is done to activate them, but I did once put dose in my mouth then went to get glass if water, I nearly lost my tongue as they start to disolve and digest quickly

macro

Type of diabetes
HCP
I really didn't get on with Creon, so I get mine from Health Food shops/companies.

Yh, I agree, high protein seems to be important!

Has anyone looked into restoration of beta cell function through various herbs/foods?