Do I Have Diabetes?!

Thewomanintrouble

Hello all ,

I am a non-diabetic.

I tested myself, this morning, before breakfast, on my son’s Glucose monitor, and I’m 5.9 !!! I thought 5.5 was the Maximum GL for pre waking for a non-diabetic.

Do I have Diabetes ?!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You cannot tell from one blood test.
Also note that the testing meters can be out by as much as 15% - so 5.9 on the meter could actually be between 5.1 and 6.8 and still be within the valid tolerance level for accuracy.

Are you thirsty a lot, are you peeing a lot?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you had not eating and this was a fasting bg then as Rokaab says you cannot tell from 1 reading and would need to re test.
So you could be pre diabetic but to be sure I'd go to the GP and get the HBA1c which measures your long term (3 month) average blood glucose.
You could also pop over to Diabetes Uk and do a Know Your Risk test for risk factors.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all ,

I am a non-diabetic.

I tested myself, this morning, before breakfast, on my son’s Glucose monitor, and I’m 5.9 !!! I thought 5.5 was the Maximum GL for pre waking for a non-diabetic.

Do I have Diabetes ?!

Your reading would certaininly, in itself, not lead directly to any diagnosis of diabetes. Morning reading, in particular, have so many variables in play, but at 5.9, in your shoes, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Testing your own bloods on your son's meter could muddy the waters, should his team choose to rrereview the meterer aat a future appointment. I wouldn't think it's the best idea.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello all ,

I am a non-diabetic.

Do I have Diabetes ?!

Out of interest why did you test yourself ? So do you have any other symptoms ?

5.9 before breakfast is fine, you are non diabetic.

HICHAM_T2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Nothing
The answers of the members were very clear and useful
Just let me add important information. You must do the Hba1c test is a very rigorous test

Best wishes to you and to all members