Do I HAVE to Swap Arms Each Time?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the Freestyle Libre 2 and have had a few fail, Abbott have quickly sent replacements, so all good there. However the failures all seem to have been on my right arm. I do sleep on my right side so prefer the Libre on my left arm for comfort and to avoid compression lows. Would it therefore be possible/sensible/advisable to always use my left arm? My skin is always fine under the adhesive and I would obviously not place a new sensor in the exact same place as the previous one. Does anyone else just use one arm?

Edit for typo

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Of course you can use one arm, no worries!

I only swap because it's more convenient because I apply my next sensor a day early, saves me from scanning the wrong one.

Reactions: Rachox

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I alternate my arm , but I put mine on the inside of my bicep , that also stops knocking sensor off on door jams

Reactions: Redshank and Rachox

StayinLane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One arm is fine with care. I use mainly my left arm because my right arm leads to failures. I think because I get a knock on the sofa and the insertion point gets inflamed. I go one high and then one low. Too high on the arm and it seems to fail. I use the inside of the arm. I use a barrier spray and give it at least 30 mins to dry. This way I can get away with overlapping the adhesion areas from one sensor to the next. Sometimes I’ll go to testing strips for a day between sensors to give the arm a rest.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Of course you can use one arm, no worries!

I only swap because it's more convenient because I apply my next sensor a day early, saves me from scanning the wrong one.
I stopped bothering putting them on a day early as I don’t see any difference!

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I stopped bothering putting them on a day early as I don’t see any difference!
For me it insists I'm low most of the night the first night if I activate right away, but if this isn't an issue for you I don't see any barriers to using the same arm all the time!

If anything, it'll save you from doing this stupid dance for three days every two weeks. :hilarious:

• Funny
Reactions: MrsA2 and Rachox

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I always use my left arm because I have had compression lows as I sleep on my right arm, I just try to avoid sticking it in the exact same place, I tend to have a circle where the last one was so it’s easy to avoid, I also just stick it in and zap it as it seems fine for me.

Reactions: Rachox and Antje77

Lakeslover

I always use one arm because I’m not allowed to have any needles or injections in the other. I just alternate the areas of the arm…one high, then one low, High moved across a bit. Never a problem.

Reactions: Antje77 and Rachox

finzi1966

For those worried about scanning a new sensor “by accident” don’t worry, that can’t happen, because when you scan the new sensor it asks you whether or not you want to start the new sensor and all you have to do is click “No”.

I wear mine on my chest, and find for some reason it seems much more accurate on the left side, so at changeover time I have two sensors *very* close to each other, practically touching, and it’s never been an issue at all.

• Agree

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Some of we radicals even use places other than our arms. (Go me!)

Upper, outer of my chest usually works well, and doesn't show when wearing sleeveless garments, or even a bikini. Lower abdomen works well, but can be caught when pulling jeans or trousers down.

I know of at least one person only able to use one arm (successfully) due to a lymphoedema risk, post cancer treatment, including the removal of lymph nodes.

I'm pretty convinced the recommended sites for the Libre would have come out of the various testing and trials, pre-approval.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For those worried about scanning a new sensor “by accident” don’t worry, that can’t happen, because when you scan the new sensor it asks you whether or not you want to start the new sensor and all you have to do is click “No”.

I wear mine on my chest, and find for some reason it seems much more accurate on the left side, so at changeover time I have two sensors *very* close to each other, practically touching, and it’s never been an issue at all.
I did that (following a recommendation) and Abbott told me off for doing it. At first they refused to replace it when it failed.

• Informative

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
When u think about the total surface Area of the body I find it unbelievable that a relatively small area is recommended, I’ve used various different areas with no problem ! ive checked against a finger prick and results are very acceptable ,as far as Abbott are concerned I’ve never been asked where I’ve put my sensor and I’ve been using Libre for years , if they did ask I’d just tell them outside of arm , how are they going to know , I know if I’m standing at the gates with St Peter in front of me denying me access I’ll feel guilty …….not

Reactions: Antje77