ruby_jane26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey
So I was only diagnosed with type one in September and before this diagnosis i didnt always eat breakfast, either because I would wake up too late or just because I'm not hungry in the mornings. This became my routine. But since I was put on fixed doses i felt like I absolutely had to eat breakfast. Lately I've skipped breakfast and my blood sugars seem fine. Is this bad or damaging in any way as I know my body is fasting for a long time. I'm still new to this haha so I don't really know all the ins and outs.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Being newly diagnosed it is probably a good idea to be getting into a routine. For me I've been diabetic for a while so right now if I'm not hungry, I have a 200ml glass of semi-skimmed milk because I have to do that to take my meds (they make me real sick without milk or food).... so I'm still having a carb even though it's a low calorie meal. Other than that I try and eat regularly. Then again I'm on calorie reduction so that's another reason why I'm doing that. If you're monitoring your sugar levels regularly to keep in check... I guess skipping the one meal and not seeing a drop in your sugar level is ok.

Reactions: ruby_jane26

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are on a basal bolus regine then you can skip breakfast as long as you do not bolus Sorry if that is obvious! Breakfast is just the 1st meal of the day so if you are not hungry til 11 or lunch and your bgs are fine then that is ok! We have been misled by all those food manufacurers that eating a bowl of starch is essential to stave off a doughnut binge but if that is not a problem for you then why worry?

Reactions: ruby_jane26

Mrsrobbieswan

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I am not diabetic but \I would say that skipping meals, especially breakfast is a slippery slope . I am 7st and maintain my weight by eating small and often.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey
So I was only diagnosed with type one in September and before this diagnosis i didnt always eat breakfast, either because I would wake up too late or just because I'm not hungry in the mornings. This became my routine. But since I was put on fixed doses i felt like I absolutely had to eat breakfast. Lately I've skipped breakfast and my blood sugars seem fine. Is this bad or damaging in any way as I know my body is fasting for a long time. I'm still new to this haha so I don't really know all the ins and outs.

Hi, Ruby, it's quite common for newly dx'd to be put on fixed doses for a while to reduce the number of variables in play till docs/dsn figure out your responses to insulin.

But it won't always be like that. After a while, once they get you clued up on figuring out the number of carbs in a meal and the amount of insulin to take for that, you can basically make your own mind up about what or whether to eat. It can be scary at first, a bit like driving a car on your own for the first time after passing your test, but once you get it sussed, it gives you a lot of freedom.

I can't be bothered with breakfast either, prefer an extra 30 minutes in my kip, and it hasn't done me any harm after 30 years.

But do stick to what your docs are telling you meantime, there's reasons they're doing it.

T1 can be a bit of a grind at times, but, longer term, it really shouldn't hold you back in any way. I've been away backpacking for months on end in Asia without any difficulties, so never think, "I'm T1 so I can't do this". Think, instead, "I'm T1, I'm going to do this, so what do I need to do to make sure I can do it safely?" More often than not, it's just a case of making sure you've got a ready supply of sweets at hand!

ruby_jane26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, Ruby, it's quite common for newly dx'd to be put on fixed doses for a while to reduce the number of variables in play till docs/dsn figure out your responses to insulin.

But it won't always be like that. After a while, once they get you clued up on figuring out the number of carbs in a meal and the amount of insulin to take for that, you can basically make your own mind up about what or whether to eat. It can be scary at first, a bit like driving a car on your own for the first time after passing your test, but once you get it sussed, it gives you a lot of freedom.

I can't be bothered with breakfast either, prefer an extra 30 minutes in my kip, and it hasn't done me any harm after 30 years.

But do stick to what your docs are telling you meantime, there's reasons they're doing it.

T1 can be a bit of a grind at times, but, longer term, it really shouldn't hold you back in any way. I've been away backpacking for months on end in Asia without any difficulties, so never think, "I'm T1 so I can't do this". Think, instead, "I'm T1, I'm going to do this, so what do I need to do to make sure I can do it safely?" More often than not, it's just a case of making sure you've got a ready supply of sweets at hand!
Thanks . I needed to hear that

AKM TYPE 1

Hey
Hi

If you are on Fast acting insulin you can skip a meal and not inject, your slow acting insulin/pump will be acting in the backgound. If your blood sugars are ok then its not a problem, its not secretly damaging you, blood sugar levels reveal all! Been type 1 for 29 years no problem!