Do I need to visit a doctor

Eb

Hi all,

I'm looking into the symptoms of a possible diabetes type disorder (sorry if this is badly worded) for myself as I was advised by a paramedic to get a check up whilst I was being rescued from an unrelated injury. Long story short, I didn't stick around the hospital so I never got a check up on my low blood sugar at the time (3.04 after eating Kendal mint cake), because I dismissed it as a repercussion of my injury.
However, recently I've been feeling symptoms that are similar to a diabetic: increased toilet visits, thirst, feeling unwell/exhausted randomly, shakes etc.
I'm not a particular healthy person but I am not unhealthy, I've just finished university which doesn't promote the healthiest diet but I'm afraid of visiting a doctor.
I'm sorry if this is an inappropriate post but I don't know anyone who is diabetic to ask for advice on what to do, so I thought of looking for help online.

Reactions: Sunflower1978

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Long story short; yes. We can't diagnose, as not only are we not qualified to, but it's against forum rules.

You mention low bloodsugars after eating, but not how long after eating they occured. Ask your doc for an extended ogtt and an HbA1c test. Diabetics don't get low bloodsugars after eating; we go high because we can't process the carbs (and resulting high bloodsugars). There is a condition called Reactive Hypoglycemia though, where there's an overreaction and too much insulin released, making people go low after a spike in bloodsugarlevels. That's what the extended ogtt (oral glucose tolerance test) is for.

RH is treated by cutting out carbs, as if there is no spike, there won't be a resulting dip either. But you do need to see your doc about this. People without bloodsugar issues can hit three's with no problem, so... Get checked out. It could be anything.

Good luck!
Jo
Hi all,

I'm looking into the symptoms of a possible diabetes type disorder (sorry if this is badly worded) for myself as I was advised by a paramedic to get a check up whilst I was being rescued from an unrelated injury. Long story short, I didn't stick around the hospital so I never got a check up on my low blood sugar at the time (3.04 after eating Kendal mint cake), because I dismissed it as a repercussion of my injury.
However, recently I've been feeling symptoms that are similar to a diabetic: increased toilet visits, thirst, feeling unwell/exhausted randomly, shakes etc.
I'm not a particular healthy person but I am not unhealthy, I've just finished university which doesn't promote the healthiest diet but I'm afraid of visiting a doctor.
I'm sorry if this is an inappropriate post but I don't know anyone who is diabetic to ask for advice on what to do, so I thought of looking for help online.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Heed the advice. Get a blood test. Fear of a doctor is (to me) NOT logical when you're left in a state of NOT knowing

Reactions: SimonCrox
Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
I would go with what has already been suggested and go to the doctor and ask for the tests as while some people are afraid of doctors, the not knowing can be more dangerous, especially when things can be resolved much quicker when you're armed with the information you need going forward.

Wishing you luck and hoping you get the answers from your DR. soon!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I would like to add, it is relatively cheap benefit for your health to get a glucose meter and start testing so you know what your blood sugars are doing!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The good news...

the earlier you are diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia, or pre-diabetes, or type 2 diabetes, the easier it is to restore your health. Assuming of course you want to be healthy. ;)