Do I tell

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had call from health centre today to make appointed for my annual check.
I have it with the nurse who introduced me to this forum and put me on the road to the low carb diet.
Do I mention to her that I had been to a Desmond course were the nurse was running her down by name,saying she didn't know what she was talking about because I mentioned, above ground good below ground bad.
She was also telling those attend g they could eat bread, porridge, cereals rice and pasta (although I may have mentioned this before).

Reactions: GeordieMark88

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it were me I’d feedback to her that the course wasn’t as useful as you’d hoped. They were telling people bread and porridge were fine and putting down anyone who suggested or wanted to discuss anything other than ‘their facts’.

You don’t have to tell her they were personally attacking her.

Reactions: NaijaChick

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t know if you should, but I would. She has the right to address the “slander” of her being named personally.

It’s very unprofessional at the least of the Desmond nurse to do this. And considering she’s wrong, nhs support dr unwins low carb regime, even worse.

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I guess it also depends on how good your relationship is with your diabetic nurse and also your personality (maybe the wrong word). I wouldn’t be comfortable or confident enough to tell someone that they were being personally attacked by others in that way. But telling her would allow her to address the issue.

Reactions: HSSS

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do I mention to her that I had been to a Desmond course were the nurse was running her down by name
Perhaps a different way to go about this if you are uncomfortable addressing this misconduct with your nurse would be a letter of complaint to the leaders of the Desmond course. I am sure they would take a dim view of the behaviour you describe.

Some people are not very good at standing up for themselves perhaps you nurse is one of them.:nurse:
:bag:

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just wish I'd stood up and given a lecture on low carb eating when I was on the so called education course in 2017 - one of the people on the course with me has lost a foot since then. I can't, of course, say that it could have been saved, but with advice about eating baked beans and baked potato for lunch being dished out, and the eatwell plate - the result was never going to be good.
It would not do any harm to mention what the advice was - and how wrong it seemed.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be fair I did a course in 2018 (name unknown and undisclosed but it sounds like the desmond) and quite happily told the other participants about my low carb and meter testing success and results. The course leaders were happy to let me talk, explaining in private they were not allowed to teach anything other than course content. In fact they encouraged it and were frustrated by the restrictions to the extent one of them had resigned!

Sadly of the dozen of us, 3 had discovered already some sort of low carb knowledge for ourselves, maybe a few listened with interest, and maybe almost half just wanted a pill to make it go away for whom giving up potatoes and bread was unthinkable.

I just hope those few gained enough to go away and seek a better outcome for themselves as a result.

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be fair I did a course in 2018 (name unknown and undisclosed but it sounds like the desmond) and quite happily told the other participants about my low carb and meter testing success and results. The course leaders were happy to let me talk, explaining in private they were not allowed to teach anything other than course content. In fact they encouraged it and were frustrated by the restrictions to the extent one of them had resigned!

Sadly of the dozen of us, 3 had discovered already some sort of low carb knowledge for ourselves, maybe a few listened with interest, and maybe almost half just wanted a pill to make it go away for whom giving up potatoes and bread was unthinkable.

I just hope those few gained enough to go away and seek a better outcome for themselves as a result.
The nurse who was taking our course would hear no other views except the ones she was teaching. I did say that the low carb high fat diet was endorsed by diabetes UK but she denied this stating what she was stating was also recommended by them.

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There appear to be two issues
One is the content of the course. The second is a very unprofessional attack on the competence of a nurse (your nurse).
If the person making this attack was indeed a nurse, they are probably breaking the professional standards for nurses.

I would be tempted to write to the organisers of the DESMOND course and express your concern about the two distinct issues.
It will be important to give the date of the course and the name of the course leader who said these things.

ShortStuff

I would, she’s a decent person doing a good job and doesn’t deserve not to be able to get that nasty behaviour stopped.

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There appear to be two issues
One is the content of the course. The second is a very unprofessional attack on the competence of a nurse (your nurse).
If the person making this attack was indeed a nurse, they are probably breaking the professional standards for nurses.

I would be tempted to write to the organisers of the DESMOND course and express your concern about the two distinct issues.
It will be important to give the date of the course and the name of the course leader who said these things.
Yes she is a nurse. She used to work along side my nurse at our local surgery. She is now a nurse at the hospital.

Edited by mod to remove identifying info

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Difficult situation but I would speak to my nurse and tell her you are concerned about not only the info imparted on the course, but the unprofessional approach. If you feel awkward telling her face to face can you right it down either on paper for her to read or in an email?

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Difficult situation but I would speak to my nurse and tell her you are concerned about not only the info imparted on the course, but the unprofessional approach. If you feel awkward telling her face to face can you right it down either on paper for her to read or in an email?
Told Grace what was said. She said results speak for themselves. I have lost over 2 stone on the diet and my last blood test put me well below the.pre diabetic range. She said that I had reversed my diabetes and if I continued to follow the low carb diet it would probably stay reversed. This is in spite of the course leader saying you couldn't reverse diabetes. However I shall continue to be a member of this forum which has helped me so much. Grace is going to contact the Desmond people and put in a complaint.

Reactions: HSSS

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good for her.
In situations where advice on diet an be either life enhancing or the complete reverse, there has to be honesty, integrity and responsibility.

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not been on here for a while because I thought I was doing ok.
Just got results for my latest blood test and 3 years on I am still I remission.
Thanks for all help in past, low carb really works.

pdmjoker

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not been on here for a while because I thought I was doing ok.
Just got results for my latest blood test and 3 years on I am still I remission.
Thanks for all help in past, low carb really works.
Well done! Did you inform the nurse what was being said about her at Desmond course - how did you tackle the issue?