Do my numbers sound like diabetic?

Woee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have a situation here and I hope all of you can help me. My mother was diagnosed with pre-diabetes with a fasting glucose of 106 (we are in the US). I became concerned because my mothers diet is much better than mine. I bought a glucometer One Touch Ultra 2 and tested my glucose level that same morning. It came out at 112. I cut on calories thinking that was the problem and limited my diet to 1600 calories per day... three days later and it marked 114. The I came to learn that it was carbohydrates the one I should be taking care of and started a 10 carbs per meal for about 4 or five days. Then I was told that the glucometers are not very accurate and that I should be tested in a lab. I started to eat 160 carbs per day... 40 per meal before for 4 days and went to get tested. Results came back as 93. I tested next morning with glucometer and it marked 87. Yesterday I tested fasting and got 100. later that day I tested after taking a 30 carbs meal and my number were 147 at the one hour mark and 112 at the two hour mark. So my concern is that my numbers were a little high I think for a 30 carb meal and that lab test came back as normal because I was making diet for about a week and a half prior. Should I trust my lab result and assume I am ok or should I trust my glucometer and seek further help?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi , and welcome !! :)
those numbers are not overly worrying
if you are concerned I would seek a blood test from a health care professional in your locality.
with the history it would be wise to check just to be sure

normal fasting BG = 70-100

Woee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
hi , and welcome !! :)
those numbers are not overly worrying
if you are concerned I would seek a blood test from a health care professional in your locality.
with the history it would be wise to check just to be sure

normal fasting BG = 70-100
Hey thanks for replying!

I already did and it came back as 93. My only concern with those results is that I was making a diabetic diet for about 10 days prior to the blood draw. I am worried that my results are a fake normal because of my diet.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All your numbers seem reasonable to me especially since if a meter has any inaccuracies it is nearly always on the high side. Testing one hour after eating is interesting to find the shape of the graph but the only official advice we seem to get is what the reading should be below at two hours. The 112 is well within limits. In the UK it is considered ok up to about 150 except that few people accept that and aim for lower.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Woee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
All your numbers seem reasonable to me especially since if a meter has any inaccuracies it is nearly always on the high side. Testing one hour after eating is interesting to find the shape of the graph but the only official advice we seem to get is what the reading should be below at two hours. The 112 is well within limits. In the UK it is considered ok up to about 150 except that few people accept that and aim for lower.
Thanks for replying! Those numbers apply to nondiabetic persons as well?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You might have seen some advice similar to what I was given - which was to aim for very low numbers - so low that I would be advised not to drive here in the UK - which came from a US based site.
I try to keep under 135, 2 hours after eating and to be at about 100 to 110 beforehand. I go by my meter, as that is what I have and also it seems to be a bit higher than the hospital results, though not drastically so - and what I want is the assurance that I am in normal numbers and not getting higher numbers due to poor food choices.
The accuracy of the meter is irrelevant if I was getting - for instance, numbers equivalent to 250 I would know that I was not eating right.
With the numbers I am getting now my doctor is not at all interested, despite a diagnosis of full blown diabetes last November.

Woee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
You can't go by carbs alone, depends on fats, fiber and other factors. And numbers differ during the day, react to stress, there are indicvidual responses to foods, there is a factor for fasting and exercie, etc

Have you had an A1C3 test which tests your average sugars over the past 3 months? I'm in the US Which meter do yu use?
No I only have taking a fasting glucose test which came back as 93. I use One Touch Ultra 2 and the strips are code 25 in case that matters. Should I take the A1C3 test? Do my numbers look out of normal range to you?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey thanks for replying!

I already did and it came back as 93. My only concern with those results is that I was making a diabetic diet for about 10 days prior to the blood draw. I am worried that my results are a fake normal because of my diet.

Then you're ok, aren't you? Just because your diet is worse than your mother's doesn't mean you'll get diabetes. Lots of people eat dreadful diets and don't get diabetes.

My advice is to get another check in 6 or -2 months if you feel it necessary - and improve your diet for general health :)

Reactions: Prem51

Woee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I got my test results for fasting glucose and they came back as 101... doctor ordered A1C test for a better diagnostic. So far my fasting glucose has been 112, 114, 93 lab, 87, 100, 101 lab. Is it a normal variation? Next week I'll get my A1C results.

Woee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thank you all for your support! This is going to be a long week while I wait for my results. Thanks again!

Reactions: Freema

Woee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I have received my A1C results and it came back as 5.7 The doctor said I was ok. Do you guys think I should make additional testing or should I leave this behind. How should I proceed?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My opinion is that you don't have a problem at the moment and should stop worrying about it. Maybe you could test yourself once a year to keep an eye on things but at the moment you show no sign of being diabetic.

Emile_the_rat

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I have received my A1C results and it came back as 5.7 The doctor said I was ok. Do you guys think I should make additional testing or should I leave this behind. How should I proceed?

Well 114 festing are only slightly elevated, and since a HbA1c of 6-6.5 count as prediabetic, your results are actually pretty decent.

So be happy and don't worry :)