Prediabetes Do They Know What They Are Talking About?

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I was invited to a meeting with a lady this am regarding me doing a 18 week course on being healthier. Organised by my GP because I’m Prediabetic.
During the meeting this lady said the way she teaches now is
6 portion of carbs or day.
I asked. What would those portions be
She replied 2 portions ie 60g of cereal am
Possibly 2slices of Bread for lunch and maybe a few potatoes with your with your evening.
I continued to explain about lchf.
Which she did not feel she or the government guide lines agreed with.
Told me I shouldn’t be testing.
Then I gave her my last two weeks BG charts and said “ O dear your higher than you should be “
So that’s on 50 ish carbs a day.
I test 2small bread rolls and a ff yogurt for lunch, only to find it went up from 6.6 to 8.5.
And she wants me to have 6 portions of carbs including bread.
Are they mad. I said I would do this course but really. What will I do

Mal37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Social situations
I was invited to a meeting with a lady this am regarding me doing a 18 week course on being healthier. Organised by my GP because I’m Prediabetic.
Possibly 2slices of Bread for lunch and maybe a few potatoes with your with your evening.
Then I gave her my last two weeks BG charts and said “ O dear your higher than you should be “
I test 2small bread rolls and a ff yogurt for lunch, only to find it went up from 6.6 to 8.5.
Is there any point in doing a course that will try to brainwash you?

I would decline the course (politely) for now, saying that you wish to try taking control of your health your own way first!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yup! That's what they say.

Some of them are more enlightened these days. The truth is trickling through.

Eat to your meter, it's the only way to see what foods you can tolerate.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would not waste your precious time any further.

You know what carbs do to you. You have proved this with your meter. You know how valuable testing is. You are on the right track. This lady is giving out dangerous advice, whether by choice or because this is what she has been told to say..

Reactions: Freema and dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The course is obviously designed to make you fully diabetic. Did it ring any bells with DN when she said your numbers were already too high on fewer carbs than she is suggesting?

You could attend but treat the information very critically, and check with other sources, like on here, where people actually have experience of managing their condition successfully.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not an insulin user but I've come to the conclusion that maybe this business about insisting on eating (a set number of) carbs with every meal may relate specifically to T1s ttaking fixed doses of insulin and has been carried over to being generic dietary advice for all flavours of diabetics?
(See https://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/fixed-dose-therapy.html)
@Juicyj
@catapillar

Robbity

Reactions: CrazyNanna27

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm not an insulin user but I've come to the conclusion that maybe this business about insisting on eating (a set number of) carbs with every meal may relate specifically to T1s ttaking fixed doses of insulin and has been carried over to being generic dietary advice for all flavours of diabetics?
(See https://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/fixed-dose-therapy.html)
@Juicyj
@catapillar

Robbity
I've often wondered that too. It really is like all diabetics are treated the same regarding this advice.

Reactions: Freema

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Really Guys.
I can’t thank you all enough, I know your all correct in what you say. How does one get past a brick wall. Even my GP does not want to do my HBA1C for a year.
It’s like they want you to go further down the road to hell.
I think I might go fir a few appointments but I will need stick stuff over my mouth. As I will want to shout Low carb to everyone, who might be brainwashed by this absolutely awful advice.
Thanks to you all. I know I’m getting the correct advice here.
This course is one a week for an hour, and is 18 weeks long. Not sure I’ll make it. Watch this space.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: dbr10

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hell fire! What are they going to cover over 18 weeks?

You are not yet diabetic. You are taking the right steps to make sure you don't get there.

Download the mySugr app. After a few days it will give you an estimated HbA1c.

You can buy an HbA1c test, it is expensive and can only be used twice.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really Guys.
I can’t thank you all enough, I know your all correct in what you say. How does one get past a brick wall. Even my GP does not want to do my HBA1C for a year.
It’s like they want you to go further down the road to hell.
I think I might go fir a few appointments but I will need stick stuff over my mouth. As I will want to shout Low carb to everyone, who might be brainwashed by this absolutely awful advice.
Thanks to you all. I know I’m getting the correct advice here.
This course is one a week for an hour, and is 18 weeks long. Not sure I’ll make it. Watch this space.
Certainly looks like you'll need some stamina. You could always treat it like game, if you have a wicked turn of mind. Question what evidence they have for what they're telling you. Aren't complex carbohydrates just string of simple glucose molecules? That sort of thing. Your 'Educator' will have no answers.

Reactions: Freema

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Who is organizing this course, does it have a name? The usual DESMOND type course for T2D without insulin is 2 x 3 hour sessions, so 18 hours seems to be a lot for a pre-diabetic.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Who is organizing this course, does it have a name? The usual DESMOND type course for T2D without insulin is 2 x 3 hour sessions, so 18 hours seems to be a lot for a pre-diabetic.

I think these pre-diabetic courses are just set up locally by the local doctors rather than being nationally organised. Not sure, but it comes over this way, and was one of the recommended actions to follow in preventing diabetes.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whilst I have eaten LC since diagnosis, I have had a couple of "robust" chats with a diabetes dietician, in a social setting. I was never invited to any structured education (although there may have been very legitimate reasons for this).

Talking about T2 diet, this lady suggested malt loaf to be a decent snack option. I nearly swallowed my tongue.

She did go on to explain that I was very much an exception to the norm and that often those referred to her were eating extremely poorly; whole packets of biscuits and multi/family packs of crisps often very frequently in play.

Times are changing, but NICE and the NHS take a very long time to change direction.

Wilber123

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Thanks to all, I can’t help but laugh. It’s sooooo ridiculous.
Malt loaf!!!!
I don’t understand, if I were to eat chips take away a crisp biscuits and all the rubbish some people eat, I then would accept that 6 portion of carbs a day might be actually healthy, bearing in mind chips crisp etc.
But I have a healthy diet, do not eat chips crisp cake biscuits. etc. And only weigh 8stone 7lbs.
My dad and his siblings all had diabetes T1 and T2. So the GP said my problem is not caused by diet.
So why would he send me to a course like this.
This is not a Desmond course.
I will keep you up to date. I feel it’s leaving me without correct advice. Which in the long run could be dangerous to my health.
Not good.
Thanks to all.

Reactions: Prem51

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

They are mad definitely

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Think I'd be telling them to stick their course where the sun doesn't shine.

Reactions: Prem51