Type 2 do we have a protein problem too ?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a really interesting article but I forgot what it said.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The unfolded protein response isn't related to the kind of protein that you are eating - so no, you don't need to be worrying about eating protein. Basically, your body is making proteins all the time, including enzymes, to do things in your body, and sometimes, for whatever reason, they don't get folded up properly, which is a Really Bad Thing. It's important for your cells to react to this, and get rid of those unfolded proteins, because they can be really damaging.

It's not connected to dietary protein.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh goodness, cut sugar, cut carbs, now protein, may as well starve to death! :joyful::playful:

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh goodness, cut sugar, cut carbs, now protein, may as well starve to death! :joyful::playful:

"...may as well starve to death..." That would resolve any weight problems anyone might have - and you wouldn't die of diabetic complications - so maybe a great idea :)

I must admit I was pleased when I found out it wasn't the proteins we eat! Phew!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @EllsKBells

These unfolded proteins are natural proteins our bodies make. We have them all over our bodies, all doing different work. It is quite different from the protein we eat.

Reactions: Granny_grump_

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Protein spikes insulin almost as much as carbs. Though you might not see high bg, you will still be spiking insulin. I watch my protein and keep it to .8-1 g per kg lean body mass. But that’s my choice

I’ve also had kidney stones. And I need to take insulin for 1/2 my protein as if it were a carb. But I’m ultra low carb

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Protein spikes insulin almost as much as carbs. Though you might not see high bg, you will still be spiking insulin. I watch my protein and keep it to .8-1 g per kg lean body mass. But that’s my choice

I’ve also had kidney stones. And I need to take insulin for 1/2 my protein as if it were a carb. But I’m ultra low carb

But this article isn't about the protein we eat, it is about a faulty mechanism in the natural protein our bodies make, such as the human growth protein which we all need or we would still be embryos!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my dad died from alzheimers... must say I am a bit afraid to end that way too...

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
But this article isn't about the protein we eat, it is about a faulty mechanism in the natural protein our bodies make, such as the human growth protein which we all need or we would still be embryos!
Oops. Didn’t read it. Perhaps that would have been a good idea!!!