Do we just live too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankbegbie

Would there be any Diabetes if we all died no older than say 40?

Type ones obviously but type two's?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh blimey what a thought! I made it to 55 before being diagnosed Type 2. I have to say, I'd much rather be living with diabetes beyond 40 or in my case 55 than pop my clogs before 40! :happy:

frankbegbie

It would solve a lot of problems if we all died before 40.

No type 2 diabetes, no pension timebomb, plenty of jobs for the young ones, no need for more and more houses and roads for cars.

Win win as far as I can see.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Well, I would have left a three year old without a mother...

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It would solve a lot of problems if we all died before 40.

No type 2 diabetes, no pension timebomb, plenty of jobs for the young ones, no need for more and more houses and roads for cars.

Win win as far as I can see.
There would be lots of very sad children too! Losing a parent causes great pain, and many of these would be very young children. I don't call that "win win".

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I think, in a way, you are right @frankbegbie I recently had a long conversation with my brother in law about this and he considers we should all fall off the twig when our children get to child bearing age. So I did some reading up on it and it seems that we haven't evolved much since stoneage man and the average life expectancy then was 33 so, according to my brother in law, we are artificially keeping ourselves alive beyond what our bodies were designed to do - which is have children, raise them, then die.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well this is a cheerful little thread isn't it? :rolleyes:

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Wow .. what a question
I was 69 when I was diagnosed .. so by your thinking, I would have missed out on 29 years of my life and not been blessed by over half of my married life, the birth of my youngest daughter and my ten grandchildren, not to mention all the wonderful joys, adventures and pleasures of being happy and (generally) healthy since 1988 when, according to your thinking, I should have "ceased to be" ..
PS: I can't work out whether this serious, tongue in cheek or provocative .. whatever, for me, it's a daft question

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sure that a lot of problems would go away if we all died on our 40th birthday.
World hunger might disappear overnight, for example. Most cases of arthritis, heart disease, Alzheimers...

On the other hand, a great number of other problems would simultaneously appear.

We obviously need access to multiple parallel universes so that we can test such theories.

How old was Hitler when WWII started?
Edited to add: Hitler was born in 1889, so he was 50 in 1939

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well in Singapore, the data says
http://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/im-kid-and-i-have-type-2-diabetes
"About 20 years ago, type 2 diabetes accounted for only 5 to 10 per cent of childhood diabetes. Today, that number has increased to more than 30 per cent."

Kids below 20 are getting type 2 diabetes. So yes. We will still see lots of Type 2 even if start dying off by 40. :D

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hmmmmm - just my opinion - but a lot of our ailments are caused by us living longer than we are designed to do. Not that I want to fall off the twig just yet as I am enjoying my 60s.

But, as @Brunneria says, I think there would be a lot more societal problems without older, more experienced (and probably wiser) heads to calm things down.

Although, having said that, Donald Trump is 71 - maybe he's the exception that proves the rule. ;)

frankbegbie

I think, in a way, you are right @frankbegbie I recently had a long conversation with my brother in law about this and he considers we should all fall off the twig when our children get to child bearing age. So I did some reading up on it and it seems that we haven't evolved much since stoneage man and the average life expectancy then was 33 so, according to my brother in law, we are artificially keeping ourselves alive beyond what our bodies were designed to do - which is have children, raise them, then die.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy
I recently had my cataracts done, (both eyes) If I had still been alive in the stoneage I would have been thrown out of the tribe for being a drain on recourses and being useless to the tribe.
People that wear glasses would be in the same boat.
It's only medical science that's keeping most people alive past 50.

And just look at all the problems it causes.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too a 4 year old - mind you my son will never be independent so I can never die - funnily enough my diabetes saved my life and probably gave me a lot more years I am so much healthier since diagnosis

Reactions: azure

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm finding this thread to be quite upsetting. According to the OP I should have died in childbirth aged 29 (when I had a placental abruption at 30 weeks). Spare a thought for those of us who suffer from depression already. Oh yeh, you have, we're all useless and a drain on society. Bye then.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@frankbegbie I know plenty of people in their 50s and 60s and above who are still alive and thriving without the slightest input from medical,science!

Are you feeling particularly fed up,with your diabetes today?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm finding this thread to be quite upsetting. According to the OP I should have died in childbirth aged 29 (when I had a placental abruption at 30 weeks). Spare a thought for those of us who suffer from depression already. Oh yeh, you have, we're all useless and a drain on society. Bye then.
I agree @zand - for the first time ever on here I'm gonna tick ignore this thread :(

Status
Not open for further replies.