Do you ever walk around the supermarket looking in peoples trollys?

D

Deleted member 308541

I too used to wonder about people buying large amounts of bread, potatoes, and such like, till it occurred to me that there could be two options for why they're buying so much of the same stuff: either they run a "corner shop" type of business and would re-sell with a bit of price mark-up
The bowling club I am a member of does this to stock up on soft drinks and bottled water when it is on special.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope no-one judges my character going off my shopping trolley; it's always full of carbs! Maybe if I filled it with butter and bacon then I'd be a better human?

If you're judging someone based on what is (or isn't) in their shopping trolley, then you're pretty sad.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two things seem to run through my head:

- on seeing trollies full of bread, pasta, ready meals, snacks and crisps, i think 'Goodness, i wouldn't be up and functioning on that lot! Your bodies must be indestructable!'

- on seeing my own trolly, i think 'Haha! I bet they are all thinking 'No wonder she's fat. She's killing herself with cheese and butter and red meat. Oh, and who eats veg like that? I don't even know what some of them are. She must have pet rabbits or something. No one eats that much greenery, it is unnatural.'

:D

frankbegbie

I hope no-one judges my character going off my shopping trolley; it's always full of carbs! Maybe if I filled it with butter and bacon then I'd be a better human?

If you're judging someone based on what is (or isn't) in their shopping trolley, then you're pretty sad.
What if your just judging the trolly?
Then thinking who it's intended for?
And the consequences.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I wasn't going to comment on this thread, I came off the site and have been trying to distract myself.
However, I have just become angry and slightly disillusioned. 'How shallow' was my first thought. That became 'what snobbery'. Seemingly inteligent people who know how hard it is to avoid the mistakes that before dx we (or the majority of us) were making now judging people who for whatever reason fill their trolleys with what *we* deem to be ****.

Some of you contributing to this thread may remember a post put up a couple of months ago by a young lass who was very upset after an incident in a supermarket where a stranger had taken out an item from her trolley and told her she shouldn't be eating that stuff. The lass was mortified, the item, crisps if my memory serves, were for her child. Would we applaud that man? Would we wish to be more like him?

Where does your judgement stop? At what is in a trolley, the clothes on someone's back, the car driven or the salary earned? This 'Foodism' is not attractive, it's not conducive and it's not fair.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't really look at other people's food habits ( each to hi / her own) unless that is I'm in lidl and trying to figure out who has bought all the protein rolls. Wonder what people make of my shopping habits, large tubs of double cream, full fat Greek yoghurt, butter at least 2 dozen eggs and butter etc, etc, etc X
Yes it must work both ways and people wonder why we buy what we do.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Where does your judgement stop? At what is in a trolley, the clothes on someone's back, the car driven or the salary earned? This 'Foodism' is not attractive, it's not conducive and it's not fair.
I did not see that thread but how absolutely awful that someone could do that to a perfect stranger.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A story to lighten the heart !
A man in super market checkout queue the lady behind noticing a large bag of dog food said "On have you got a doggy then" Man replied that he was on a winalot diet "On did it work " ? said lady "yes until I was taken to hospital " "Oh no was it because of the dog food " asked the lady "No I stepped off the curb to sniff the bottom of an Irish setter and was hit by a truck !!!!"

Reactions: Sable_Jan

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Who are we to say what other people should not be buying everyone is entitled to buy what they want without some thinking what they do is right for everyone else . I do not think those who judge others would be happy to be judged them selves on what they have in their trolley like a lot of saturated fat stuff which many would say is not good and they should not feed their families on it.

frankbegbie

Who are we to say what other people should not be buying everyone is entitled to buy what they want without some thinking what they do is right for everyone else . I do not think those who judge others would be happy to be judged them selves on what they have in their trolley like a lot of saturated fat stuff which many would say is not good and they should not feed their families on it.
I wouldn't mind a stranger asking why I was buying what I had in my trolly to be honest.
I'd be glad of the opportunity to explain things and also get the chance to give then some useful information that could help them further down the road.
Like Tony Blair once said, "Education, Education, Education".

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On the few occasions now that i ever get to actually shop for real rather than online I'm too busy working out what's got to go into my trolley to worry about what might go into other peoples... But I have to admit when I was a regular shopper I was sometimes completely intrigued by the strange selection that the person in front of me at the checkout had in theirs...

And sometimes now I actually look at the strange selection that happen to be my online shopping at times, and wonder if my delivery driver ever wonders what this dozy old woman is actually going to EAT this week....:wideyed:

... And I'm afraid I stereotype the mousy librarian with the lasagne for one and a half bottle of wine... :angelic:
I bet you'd never have sussed me as one, then! :D:D:D

Robbity