Do you ever walk around the supermarket looking in peoples trollys?

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh, I've had it done to me. I was getting my extra thick cream and full-fat yogurt, when Nosy, Outspoken, Observant Child said, "My mummy says that's really bad for anyone to eat." "Yes," chimed in Mummy, "We have healthy, low fat food."

"Oh, "said me. "You know, I did that for years, and all the sugar that gets put in that so-called healthy low-fat food you've got. It's made me very ill and I was twice the size I am now. Ever since I've been eating properly, for me, I've been so much healthier in so many ways, including the size I now am. My medical team say so." Exit Japes, leaving behind two uncomfortable looking souls.

So, yes, if you want to be judgemental in an out-loud way, go right ahead, I won't mind, just be prepared for my reasoning... be it financial, medical, or "Yes, I know and it's my choice to eat the way I do and none of your business what I am buying and why." (Might well be me shopping for a housebound neighbour who I'd rather ate what he wanted while he can, rather than my definition of healthy.)

None of this stops me being judgmental in my head and silently! Or thinking "Oh heck, just don't comment on my weird combination of items..."

Come to think of it, I get regular comments in one supermarket from the till operator about the large vegetarian family I must have. Um, no, just me in my house who bulk buys when special offers are on for the freezer to save me time in term time.

S

Sable_Jan

No, I don't judge what others are buying. I only think "I shouldn't have that because I ___", but as someone who has been judged a lot for her size for what I eat, I am very conscious not to do this to others. Just because I can't have it, doesn't mean others can't.

I know it's all just a mental note, but it does affect the way you see other people and it influences and contributes to stigmas in small ways. Just the way you're looking at someone's stuff can be very obvious. Trust me, I've seen the looks, even when nobody said anything - and they made me feel horrible. I recognize the look I get when I eat something as a treat that isn't healthy out in public, even if the rest of my diet is good. We know, every time you look and judge, we know. Sometimes the silent looks are worse than the outright harassment.

I'm even afraid to buy candy for hypo treatments because I fuss about what people are thinking. I use soda cans as an easy means to treat them on the go, and keep one on my night stand. It makes me self-conscious again to read so many people would think so negatively about me based on what I put on the conveyor belt. I'm tall and fat, so that means every piece of sweet is me slowly killing myself? I inject insulin, so I should not eat sweets?

You don't know anyone's situation, ever. Why can't you just train yourselves not to judge? A simple "I can't have/buy this, but I don't know their life, so I shouldn't judge. I should worry about my life only" reminder to yourself would be so much better than fighting the constant need to give unwanted advice.
Think you've got rather off track. The OP only asked if anyone else ever LOOKED in people's shopping trolleys..... not go off on one about "judging" there's a whole world of difference.... I look, I'm curious, nosy if you like, I'm not judging... I might think "afternoon in front of the box watching sport" or "ah, romantic dinner for two .... but I'm not JUDGING...

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Think you've got rather off track. The OP only asked if anyone else ever LOOKED in people's shopping trolleys..... not go off on one about "judging" there's a whole world of difference.... I look, I'm curious, nosy if you like, I'm not judging... I might think "afternoon in front of the box watching sport" or "ah, romantic dinner for two .... but I'm not JUDGING...
That was literally only 1/4th of the post. The remaining 3/4th was all about judging what's in people's trolleys and resisting the urge to give unwanted and uneducated advice, as were many of the responses following it.

I'm glad you're the observer type instead of the judgmental one, but that's certainly not the case for all.

Reactions: Sable_Jan
S

Sable_Jan

That was literally only 1/4th of the post. The remaining 3/4th was all about judging what's in people's trolleys and resisting the urge to give unwanted and uneducated advice, as were many of the responses following it.

I'm glad you're the observer type instead of the judgmental one, but that's certainly not the case for all.

I hold my hand up and stand corrected. I must have only read the heading.....

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sometimes when bright colors grab my eye , I think the same thing and it makes me really realize how I have changed the way I eat.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was in Lidl earlier buying my supply of rolls. The man in front of me had 8 packets of different biscuits, a loaf of white bread, 6 tins of mushy peas and a big bottle of pop. He was easily in his 60s, very, very heavy, had difficulty reaching in his trolley to retrieve stuff because his stomach was in the way, and eventually he shuffled out. When we were in the car park we saw him resting on his car. Very difficult not to judge.

Hotpepper20000

I know I get judged when I go to a local store that has fantastic thick pepper bacon made by a regional butcher. I buy
30 small packages to freeze. Mr Hotpepper and I eat one-two a week.
Each time someone behind me makes a comment on what I'm buying. lol I'm not thin so they must think no wonder she's so fat. Little do they know I have lost 50 pounds eating this way.
Doesn't help that I have various cheeses and butter in the cart as well.
In the summer I don't buy any berries or vegtables because I have a large garden.
Sooo yep I know I get judged but don't give a hoot. I feel great and my BG is under control.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
And raising your eyebrows at all the bad food and drink they are buying?
I keep wanting to say something.
"You know that stuff is killing you and your family!":mad:
I've kept my silence so far.:cool:
I check other people's grocery carts all the time and more times than not those with a lot of overly processed carbs and sugars tend to be obese. It's also important to note where I live - one of the poorest regions in my country - those processed edibles are the only thing they can afford as fresh vegetables and other produce are generally much more money.
It's too bad it has to be that way ...

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Perhaps I could get a delivery driver job...
Don't! My daughter helped her company out at christmas (a high end supermarket)by doing some driving/delivery but slipped off the back, broke her wrist in 3 places that needed playing, 4 months off work , still having physio but no compensation for her!