1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Do you feel that diabetes has ruined your life ?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by HICHAM_T2, Feb 14, 2018.

1. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Being diagnosed with diabetes was the best thing that could have happened to me to be honest. I've lost weight and feel great, I no longer eat processed **** and I am able to work and still have enough energy to run around after my grandchildren. I don't miss the chest and stomach pains, being unable to breathe, the headaches and lethargy and the mini comas. Don't get me wrong sometimes it's not easy but I've never once thought that it has ruined my life.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Diagnosed T1D at the tender age of 6, so I only know being a diabetic. Things were primitive when I started out....but have come on in leaps and bounds. Yes, it has caused me major problems (lost sight in left eye and stage 4CKD) BUT I do NOT let it get in the way. It can make things harder to do but with planning there is nothing a T1D can not do. Diabetes will not beat me

• Like Like x 6
    #62 porl69, Feb 15, 2018 at 9:17 AM
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  3. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

No no no no no.

When I was given the confirmed diagnosis, I was told "diabetes should not stop you doing what you want".
    Since then, I have lived my life proving that point: as well as the usual working (including a career change with lots of International travel), dating (in which I was very open about my diabetes), trying every type of food I can find (and learnt to adjust my insulin for different foods) and general day-to-day living, I have competed in sports events, sailed across the channel in force 8 gale, walked in the Himalayas, rock climbed in the Dolomites, sky dived over Northants, tracked gorillas in Uganda, canoed down the Wye, ...
    Sure some things require a bit of planning and I have had to walk for 8 hours after a horrible night time hypo and I have struggled to mountain bike because my BG is too high and ... but I manage my diabetes, it does not control me. I won't let it ruin my life.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  4. HICHAM_T2

HICHAM_T2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

At least I don't eat what I want

Cause I have health problems

When i don't control it i don't sleep well it up three times a night. This adversely affects my work
    Conversely What do you offer diabetes for you?

• Like Like x 1
    #64 HICHAM_T2, Feb 15, 2018 at 9:42 AM
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  5. Crocodile

Crocodile Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It has modified my life but not ruined it. I'm only diagnosed as a T2 a bit over two years and have diet and blood in control with planning, vigilance and discipline. New nothing at diagnosis and the information from the hospital next to useless. Self education, talking and forums like this have helped immensely. I'm now 12 kg lighter, fitter, healthier and feel pretty good. Just for the record, my wife and I lost our eldest boy at 5 years of age to cancer. Kind of puts a T2 diagnosis into perspective quick smart.

Glenn

• Hug Hug x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

What an awful tragedy for you all. I am so sorry, and you are right. Even a cancer diagnosis, living with it and living beyond it puts it all into perspective. For me, anyway. Diabetes isn't always pleasant and is hard work, but it can be controlled. Some other chronic or life threatening conditions can't.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. HICHAM_T2

We are sorry for your wife's loss

The only thing I can not understand is spending a lot of money to destroy people in wars
    In return, some money is not spent to revive some people

8. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Like others have said diabetes has changed my life not ruined it, especially as my diabetes is caused by taking medication that quite possibly has saved my life and at the least has kept me mobile well I'm not spending my days sat in a chair any more.

So it was a risk and a trade off that I was willing to take.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

Thank you. I needed to hear that, especially today.

• Like Like x 1
  10. rochari

rochari Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well over 50 years on insulin here. Diabetes gave me a different and sometimes frustrating life. I’m not sure if it did ruin it but it certainly made it very difficult at times. Being diagnosed so young built in a discipline, driven by doctors, nurses and parents all those years ago, about everything connected to the condition and that is sometimes not a good thing. I remember a doctor telling me that with the new insulins I could now eat this or that. It took me years to be comfortable enough to take that advice. I always feel I have never ever relaxed with it.

That constant discipline tires me out. Yes, what it’s done has kept me fit, no diabetic complications BUT some days I really, really despise my diabetes. Perhaps that’s an age thing now but not sure.

Bill

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. HICHAM_T2

I think it varies from person to person depending on the material circumstances and age

12. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi. You have a a few more years under your belt than me ( 27 yrs here ) but can definitely relate to the mornings you describe.
    Waking covered in blood and requiring stitches, waking surrounded by family and medics, all this years back. Fortunately not so bad nowadays.

• Like Like x 1
  13. caius2x8

caius2x8 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Glad your doing better. Mine is generally good but i catch myself out now and then too. But my hba1cs are 54 so i keep trying settle a bit lower. Ironically ive found that keeping my blood sugar no lower than 6mM ratger than 4 steadies things a bit too.

• Like Like x 2
  14. cjj

cjj · Active Member

No!

But it does have limitations with certain careers i:e Army, Navy, Police, oil Rigs, Merchant Navy, Heavy Goods Vehicle driving and many other high risk types of work.

I’m a tv news cameraman, and I have travelled globally countless times, covering conflict, sport, documentaries etc... however, my experience on reflection, meant that I wasn’t really in control and times when I don’t ever recall checking my B/sugars over long periods. Though I’ve stopped overseas travelling now because I found managing my diabetes and running around with a heavy tv camera are not very compatible, as early diabetic neglect, I believe, has resulted in my current circumstances where neuropathy is quite severe and I’ve also fractured my leg recently where it’s taking quite long to heal.

Chris
    Type 1 for 42yrs 57yrs old.

• Like Like x 2
  15. HICHAM_T2

Permit me to raise my hat to you
    You taught me a lesson I will not forget thank you

16. cjj

cjj · Active Member

You’re most welcome - good luck.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Have to say @hichamgsm your English is just getting better and better. Just been reading up on common Morrocan languages on Google. Mike :)

I sure couldn't command that level of expertise though I can do limited French, Italian and some German

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. HICHAM_T2

You welcome sir
    Can I ask you where are you from ?

19. Mike d

Mike d Type 2 · Expert

Of course you can :) Australia :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. HICHAM_T2

Good peoples you welcome

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook