do you have a hobby ?

5Terry

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being alone and having little or no money to enjoy the hobbies I like to do.
I was diagnosed T2 in April. I have been coping with my diabetes by controlling my diet and watching what I eat through, the week.

The problem is I can do two three weeks with no problems, but on the odd occasions, I get blotted and feeling of nauseous, and it is always at the wrong time of the day as it comes on when I am about to go bed as like last night was such a last night, I tend to over think things. but I hardly got any sleep last night due to the uncomfortable feeling, I sure that it is the medications that I am taken to assist in controlling my diabetes are interact acting with the other medications that I have to take, one which is to control my blood pressure as I am mildly hypertensive (thanks dad) along with one that controls my cholesterol levels.

I had a case of that last night which really does not help the way I feel the next day. As I feeling a little nauseous at the moment.

I am not getting any form of support from the doctors, except the yearly check-up and blood tests, which I feel is a bad, I understand that the doctors are under pressure, and as far I can make out there is no diabetes support groups in the local area where I live. I have no family support network, due to circumstances that are out off my control.

I have purchased a few recipe books to guide me through what I can eat, I also purchased a small slow cooker and an air fryer which I use when the mood takes me. But I like everyone else, I have good days and bad days.

My biggest problem is living on my own, as I have no support network, I do have some friends but I very seldom hear from them unless they need help with something.

I have looked into see if there are any local groups for people that have diabetes, and have not found any locally from what I can see.

I feel so isolated from society as very few people contact me, that includes my own family, as I have tried to keep in contact with them but that as they all have their own families to attend to it is difficult for them.

I have not spoken to my brother as his wife had me charged with assaulting him back in 2017. As he is in an abusive relationship that he is to blind to see that for himself. Not only that he bullied me all through my childhood, so did my parents as I regard as stupid at the time, but I was later dialogised with dyslexia in the last 18 months of my secondary education.

I am just taken it one day at a time, I wish I had the space to enjoy the hobbies that interest me, but due to ongoing depression the concentration levels are low at this time

• Hug
Reactions: catinahat

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
I really enjoy growing plants - mostly veggies like peppers and a few exotic ones with a growing box - the kitchen is full of them!!

PlushPuppy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I combine my love of Samoyed dogs, spinning and knitting.
I've loved the breed since first learning of them 47 years ago and owned the breed for 34 years. They have the most beautiful coats. They are double coated, with a harsh weatherproof outer coat and a very soft warm undercoat which is shed. I wanted to have their coat spun since I got my first Samoyed in 1988, and 10 years ago I finally realized it by getting a spinning wheel and doing it myself.
I spin the coats of friends' Samoyeds and knit or crochet keepsake items for them from the yarn,
I also am into cooking and recipe research; and love baking bread. I find working the dough by hand theraputic and relaxing. It's satisfying to feel the dough come together, become smooth and elastic with lots of air incorporated into it.
Oh and then the reading...or listening to audio books...
539079_10151888699928816_276817617_n.jpg14902788_10154840552878816_1282653979071818083_o (1).jpg1384354_10152036886503816_1192812111_n.jpgrose3.jpg270917_10151419210463816_1326268405_n (1).jpg1452286_10152069469953816_157088649_n (1).jpg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PlushPuppy love the beautiful products you've made. Gosh spinning yarn takes me back to my 4th year in Primary school, we had a spinning wheel in our classroom which we used to learn how to spin sheeps wool. Not sure I could do it now as a) not sure i'd remember and b) I struggle with gripping and holding things with hands a lot.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed T2 in April. I have been coping with my diabetes by controlling my diet and watching what I eat through, the week.

The problem is I can do two three weeks with no problems, but on the odd occasions, I get blotted and feeling of nauseous, and it is always at the wrong time of the day as it comes on when I am about to go bed as like last night was such a last night, I tend to over think things. but I hardly got any sleep last night due to the uncomfortable feeling, I sure that it is the medications that I am taken to assist in controlling my diabetes are interact acting with the other medications that I have to take, one which is to control my blood pressure as I am mildly hypertensive (thanks dad) along with one that controls my cholesterol levels.

I had a case of that last night which really does not help the way I feel the next day. As I feeling a little nauseous at the moment.

I am not getting any form of support from the doctors, except the yearly check-up and blood tests, which I feel is a bad, I understand that the doctors are under pressure, and as far I can make out there is no diabetes support groups in the local area where I live. I have no family support network, due to circumstances that are out off my control.

I have purchased a few recipe books to guide me through what I can eat, I also purchased a small slow cooker and an air fryer which I use when the mood takes me. But I like everyone else, I have good days and bad days.

My biggest problem is living on my own, as I have no support network, I do have some friends but I very seldom hear from them unless they need help with something.

I have looked into see if there are any local groups for people that have diabetes, and have not found any locally from what I can see.

I feel so isolated from society as very few people contact me, that includes my own family, as I have tried to keep in contact with them but that as they all have their own families to attend to it is difficult for them.

I have not spoken to my brother as his wife had me charged with assaulting him back in 2017. As he is in an abusive relationship that he is to blind to see that for himself. Not only that he bullied me all through my childhood, so did my parents as I regard as stupid at the time, but I was later dialogised with dyslexia in the last 18 months of my secondary education.

I am just taken it one day at a time, I wish I had the space to enjoy the hobbies that interest me, but due to ongoing depression the concentration levels are low at this time
You've certainly got the right idea with taking one day at a time.

It's difficult dealing with a multitude of problems and not having much support in place. May I suggest looking at support groups for Men in general rather than limiting it to just diabetes support groups. You may find that there are people within those groups that also live with diabetes and that there are more around and will also help with the depression too.

I think you've taken the first big step though by joining here and well done for that. That in itself is a little win which should be celebrated. Take the wins when they happen but try not to mourn the losses too much. I'm new to this forum myself and just finding my way around but it looks like there could potentially be a lot of support around here.

Good luck!

• Agree
Reactions: catinahat

jsmagnin

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello, Oh my god. It looks like a real one. Really nice.

King Mustard

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I love computing and gaming. I am 37 and got into it when I was around 11 years old, just as 3D PC gaming was starting to really take off.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
My hobby if one can call it that is walking my whippets it not only helps my levels but keeps me pretty active, used to love reading but eyes tend to be very tired so not do that so much these days I also like to watch films and good dramas keeps me entertained ...smiles

Reactions: Lamont D

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Football. On tv mainly now, but once not so long ago, never missed a game. Been to about 140(ish) different grounds.
Cricket, on tv.
Darts on tv.
Jigsaw on computer, arthritis sonny allow me to do real ones.
Reading, many different genres.
Music, always doing jigsaw or reading or.....
Garden. Front and back, lawn and mainly spring and summer bulbs, summer and autumn bedding plants. A couple of bushes. Back is mainly roses, with a bit of grass, the odd bulbs.
Relaxing in garden.
Walking.

Don't know how I found time to work back when.
Too many chores and looking after the wife now, only when I can for hobbies.