• No

Votes: 20 8.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 77 33.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

qbix

Chrispp

Fair play to you. Unfortunately for my mother is rather liberal with family information, so the choice if who knows in my extended family has been taken out if my hands :roll:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mr Happy

Chris. I would suggest a one size doesn't fit all. My work colleagues rarely discuss it and are kind enough to ask if I am ok when looking a little stressed. I have progressed at work as I would expect and some might even suggest I am held in higher regard for not letting it affect me negatively. 1 day off in over 2 years helps and those that know to a degree are somewhat inspired by my "if I didn't come in when I felt a bit **** then you'd never see me" approach...

Debsy22

Toni Barke said:
I have been using a dating site since Xmas after splitting from my ex 3 yrs ago !! One guy I was talking to on line and told him I was diabetic been chatting for 4 weeks so no big deal !! Thing is he sent me a message he didnot want to catch it and bring I was a junkie he had no interest I should just drop dead and save the world from parts like me !!!i was so insulted !! I now have DIABETIC on my profile so rveryone sees it if they wish to chat with me !!!!!

That is Absoloutey disgusting!! I'm sorry someone said something so awful

Trinity_32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish
I tell the people that need to know. As for new partners I always tell them, if they have an issue with it (nobody has yet) then it's their problem, not mine!

A

Anonymous

Debsy22 said:
Toni Barke said:
I have been using a dating site since Xmas after splitting from my ex 3 yrs ago !! One guy I was talking to on line and told him I was diabetic been chatting for 4 weeks so no big deal !! Thing is he sent me a message he didnot want to catch it and bring I was a junkie he had no interest I should just drop dead and save the world from parts like me !!!i was so insulted !! I now have DIABETIC on my profile so rveryone sees it if they wish to chat with me !!!!!

That is Absoloutey disgusting!! I'm sorry someone said something so awful

On a brighter note ..... thank goodness you didn't get as far as meeting up!

laurabethxo

I tend to only tell people if it's entirely necessary, for example when it comes to my education or work, I'll always tell my tutor or my manager, just so they'll know why I need a regular break etc. I don't tend to tell other people unless they are close friends, just to avoid the awkward questions and in extreme cases, bullying.

Finzi

@PokerTom, Were you prescribed beta-blockers, such as atenolol, after your heart attack? Atenolol in particular has been implicated in causing diabetes. That is not a reason to stop taking it, obviously, but it might be worth bearing in mind.

spideog

I'll tell people that I have diabetes, if relevant to the conversation. Nothing to hide about it and I never had any issues in work due to people knowing. Of course now that I'm the boss it's not going to be an issue anyway.

Andi Pandi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic
I tell people if it's relevant to the situation or if we are friends, though it doesn't stop people offering me cakes.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
I tell those I see regularly, especially at work as I'd rely on the right info being passed onto medical staff, should the worst come to the worst. I don't embrace diabetes, I hate the thing. I saw someone only yesterday displaying either drunk or diabetic symptoms. It was a passenger in the waiting area of new street station in Brum. I was on voluntary 'travel champion' duty, helping the public negotiate the new station format as the station is halfway through re-modernising (long overdue btw) unfortnately the mid 50's gentleman (at my estimate) perished in front of me. The BTP and paramedics were in attendance and assumed the man was intoxicated and treated him as such. I've seen elderly relatives die and it's heart-breaking, but you at some stage come to expect it. While I wasn't traumatised as such, I thought, "that could be me at work one day if I kept it a secret". I work in birmingham, primarily and london, manchester and liverpool on the railway. Sometimes, it is wise to tell people who's business it isn't, really, so they can at least (worst case) say I have diabetes and I may get to enjoy another day. That is all from me on this occasion, it was a harrowing, humbling experience.

I hope you all keep well.

Mart.

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Selfish people, arseholes who think they know it all, ignoramuses, chavs and people with no manners. People who play music on the bus or train full blast on their phones.
Hello, Liang17, Do you mean diabetic and use insulin?

Just wondering, because if you are diabetes, you may find yourself unpopular on here.

:)

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Sketcher said:
I certainly don't say "Hello, my name's Fred; I'm diabetic" (especially as my name isn't Fred :)), but I'm happy to say I'm diabetic when it comes up in conversation. It's useful when food crops up: I'd hate to be thought of as a faddy eater, and it requires an explanation when faced with a sandwich lunch, when I fish out the contents and throw away the bread! I hate to be so wasteful, but it can be that or starve at business working lunches.

Wow - did you know you don't have to throw away the bread if you adjust your dosage? I reccomend booking a visit with dietician, not Fred! Wraps make a nice alternative to bread as well.

Sketcher

Dislikes
Other people's cats in my garden
Hello Martwolves. I would adjust my dosage if I was on insulin, but I'm T2 controlling with diet only (I was on Gliclazide, but my low carb diet allowed me come off).

martwolves

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Sketcher - apologies for my ignorance! I can be a balloon sometimes, especially after taking imsulin. I didn't mean to sound condescending.

May I congratulate you on your progress?

Well done indeed.

All the best

Mart.