Do you think you could get any further going privately?

Blondie153

Hi all I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with NHS and then going privately? My husband has private health care and I was wondering if I could get the pump for my daughter any quicker or CGM if we went privately? Anybody any experience with this
M

jopar

You are very likely find it pretty similar to the NHS if you expecting a medical insurance policy to cover the cost of pumps and/or CMS, The number crunching for the medicals insurance same bred as the number cruncher at the NHS.... And the good thing about the NHS, is the NICE guidelines means you can argue your position a lot better, if the medical insurance company says 'no' then it's a 'no'...

Have you spoken to INPUT at all, as they can advise you of your nearest pump friendly clinic, so you can ask your GP for a referral to this clinic, and/or they can help you with putting your case together for your daughters funding..

The other option, is see if your clinic will agree to they oversee and you self-fund!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
As far as I am aware, paying private for an initial consultation normally beats the nhs queues for initial appt only. Yep that is good.. I just paid £150 and cut 18 week time off and because of that injtial q jumping having investigations now .. Before what my 1st appt would have been..

However unless you are actually prediagnosed and treated for going to find out you are diabetic privately, then to be honest I do not know of any way that you could Win' by going privately. I certainly haven't seen or heard of anybody in uk that has gone private and managed to get a pump by doing so.

The private consultants are still the nhs ones, just having a day paid for by private people..if consultants dont encourage pumps in a nhs hosp. Not necessarily because of funding), then don't they still hold these views on their one day in private med?

I would try to ascertain why consultants against you/daughter having a pump..how many people have your hospital placed on pumps..find oht if any other hospitals have better number ratios for pump users.. You do have a choice of hospital.

I certainly know of one person.. Who when he asked for a pump to his dsn... She actually thrned round to him and said "no, you'll be too dangerous using one'....
He did research, and went to consultant with all the reasons he should have one..... He got it....

However, I helped him in early days of pumping... And hugy 'yes' he was a nightmare, phoning me up at 3am and asking what he should do because he had bomysed for a hypo... Yep dangerous indeed initially!!!

So my line is... I dont know of any person succeeding on the route you suggested. There are orher avenues to explore nhs too... Input - and others help enormiusly to people up against brick walls....

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Most private health care plans in the UK will not cover chronic conditions like diabetes, unlike other countries where they do.