Doc said no to self testing ...

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Thankyou for your advice - I had a nasty water infection two weeks ago which is how this all happened- it doesn't help when they use terms that haven't been explained- haemoglobin they said was extremely high which I didn't understand at first . I've had awful pins and needles too - he said I haven't had diabetes long enough for that to happen - urggg well I am not imagining it !
Mine came to light when I went to the drop in centre with what I thought was cystitis. You may well find that the pins and needles improve when your levels come down. If not, Alpha Lipoic acid is useful - you will see many posts on the forum about it. Cheap enough to buy and it works.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
He just said ' it's not necessary ' as I would never have a hypo - but as I want to get the levels down then like you said monitoring is the key ! I just ate a banana see what it does !

Bananas are very fast release (the glucose appears almost as soon as it hits your mouth) so testing earlier than 2 hours is best for these. Just a little hint. ;)

Reactions: Debzz_ and hankjam

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can't add just yet to what they all said, there's enough to keep you going for a bit. Just wantd to say hello and welcome to the forum; there's plenty to get your teeth into (as it were) and plenty of advice when you want it. Good luck with the testing and the low carbs - enjoy ! :)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
He said not to test my glucose levels which I'm a bit confused about

No need to be confused, ask him, and his DN, how you're expected to know whether your life style changes and his prescribed medication are working and how to prevent the damage caused by poor blood glucose control when you have to wait a year for a test that only looks at the previous 8 - 12 weeks and even then doesn't see the peaks and troughs.

If he has a good answer, please could you share it with the rest of us.

Reactions: Salvia

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
NHS Policy is not to tell you things until you reach certain levels of being ill and when I asked should I be measuring my BG levels, the DB Nurse immediately assumed I expected NHS to fund which I wasn't inferring at all.
Same frustration - I was glucose intolerant from general age screening and because I didn't hit the target at the time to be labelled T2DB, they didn't even tell me let alone give me any new recommendations on diet restrictions. I was told by my GP that I need to have BG of 20 mmol/L before they would label me as a diabetic and only at this point was I told privately by the GP and DB Nurse to disregard earlier recommendations on diet and seriously consider LC.
I am only frustrated with myself for not taking control earlier and doing my own research rather than allowing myself to be led by "experts".
That's awful !

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Can't add just yet to what they all said, there's enough to keep you going for a bit. Just wantd to say hello and welcome to the forum; there's plenty to get your teeth into (as it were) and plenty of advice when you want it. Good luck with the testing and the low carbs - enjoy ! :)
Thankyou ! Big learning curve

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
Well, I for one, think he is stupid, but, unfortunately most GP's/nurses would say the same. The reasons given are
-you will frighten yourself or become obsessed
-they will do all the necessary tests so you don't need to
-they won't change your meds based on your results, they will only rely on their own, so yours are pointless
- you may get an infection in a finger from too much pricking
- you wouldn't understand the results anyway
- there is nothing you can do to respond to or alter the results, only they can do that.
And the real reason is,
-test strips cost money.

Meanwhile, keep up the good work. Test before and after meals and learn what puts up your sugar levels and, maybe, in the not too distant future you will be one of the many diagnosed T2's who have dropped meds.
Sally
Hi @sally and james ..
And here's another one for your list ..
- you don't need to test because you're on Metformin :***:

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Hi @Debzz_
Have you got your meter yet .. if so, it will be interesting to see what your banana does to your BG in an hour or two ;)
At the end of the day, you have to do what you think is right for you .. and you might like this little strategy that I was given recently for dealing with advice from your Healthcare professionals ...

.. Listen
.. Nod
.. Smile and say Thankyou
.. Ignore

Hope this helps
Ha I like that - Blood sugar no change after banana

Reactions: berylc and AM1874

JRF

Today I have had the results to all my tests - so I am officially T2 and been put on Metformin 1000mg twice a day and also statin tablet . My GP gave me an info pack and that was about it ! The diabetic nurse will contact me by email . He said not to test my glucose levels which I'm a bit confused about - my glucose was through the roof . I didn't tell him I had ordered a monitoring system . What does everyone think of his thinking ? I've already started a low carb diet too .
I too was told not to test by my dn but after joining the forum and reading about diabetes I decided to ignore her. I've been to the dietician and she told me to test and when I highlighted this to my dn she just said they don't agree with the info dieticians give out.

Reactions: berylc and AM1874

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting to hear what your dr said. I hope I get on better with the diabetic nurse - still two weeks to go.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The reason given for me not to test was that "I would get sore fingers!! @Debzz_ did he give the reason that he prescribed a statin or was it the usual "all diabetics should take statins"? Have a good look at the side effects because some of us have suffered from them and no longer take them.

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The reason given for me not to test was that "I would get sore fingers!! @Debzz_ did he give the reason that he prescribed a statin or was it the usual "all diabetics should take statins"? Have a good look at the side effects because some of us have suffered from them and no longer take them.
I agree - GPs use a ready-reckoner based on an algorithm that calculates risk based on factors including BMI and BG levels. If Compooter says Yay, you get statins.

Reactions: AM1874

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree - GPs use a ready-reckoner based on an algorithm that calculates risk based on factors including BMI and BG levels. If Compooter says Yay, you get statins.

It is the Q-risk formula, available on line and recommended by NICE. https://qrisk.org/2016/

If you are of a certain age and have diabetes you will most likely automatically reach the 10% score that triggers statin prescriptions without any of the other factors. NICE continues to recommend statins to all diabetics. It doesn't mean you have to take them.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I too was told not to test by my dn but after joining the forum and reading about diabetes I decided to ignore her. I've been to the dietician and she told me to test and when I highlighted this to my dn she just said they don't agree with the info dieticians give out.
When I saw the dietician (5 months after diagnosis I might add) - she went through my diet and she didn't bat an eyelid when I said I did Atkins/LCHF. That was after losing 3 stone from diagnosis. And they always ask when you are there whether you have your monitor with you. From that they can download the results - which is useful both for them and you. I'm still waiting now for a letter from her to arrive at my GP to say I can come off my meds (1½ months later!) Either way, I think even if you've been told not to test just ignore them and test yourself - otherwise how will you know how you are progressing/improving your levels? - I'm sure they think we're all ignorant and not incapable of showing some common sense!

Last edited:

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Hi Daphne - my cholesterol is raised - it's 7 - I'm wondering if it will come down on its own with my change of diet ? I'm not keen on taking statins to be honest

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Mine came to light when I went to the drop in centre with what I thought was cystitis. You may well find that the pins and needles improve when your levels come down. If not, Alpha Lipoic acid is useful - you will see many posts on the forum about it. Cheap enough to buy and it works.
Thankyou I will make a note of that

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Can't think for themselves can they doctors- lol

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I actually did not ask my doctor his opinion on if I should self test or not did ask if he would prescribe monitor and strips he said not, on diagnosis I walked out of the surgery into the pharmacists next door and bought a meter and strips.

Don't lose sight of the fact that every one of us reacts differently to a food so the only way possible to decide what is best for you as an individual is to test. For example a banana may spike one person but not another.

seadragon

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Daphne - my cholesterol is raised - it's 7 - I'm wondering if it will come down on its own with my change of diet ? I'm not keen on taking statins to be honest
It's very likely your cholesterol levels will come down but bear in mind it's not total cholesterol that is of any concern (if you believe cholesterol is of concern at all any way), so you need to ask for the breakdown. My total cholesterol levels increased very slightly from 5.5 to 6.0 but the triglycerides halved and the so called bad cholesterol went down and what increased was the HDL ( or good cholesterol).

When I was first diagnosed (as pre-diabetic) I was offered metformin and statins but I refused both and said I'd try diet and exercise first. My doctor laughed and said "but you don't have any weight to lose" (I was within the accepted BMI for my height). I went on the LCHF diet as per this site and dietdoctor.com (highly recommended site for info on LCHF and it's affects on diabetes) and a year later had lost 8 kg ( I wasn't consciously trying to lose weight) and my HBA1c was in normal range.

I didn't get to see my doctor again as she just left a comment for the receptionist to give me of ' no action'. The best thing I did was to get a meter and test before and at one and two hours after meals to see what affected my BG levels. The main reasons they don't give them out seems to be 'cost' and also it seems they don't beleive anyone actually wants to take control of their own lives or is capable of altering their eating habits significantly. Also maybe as they push the Eatwell plate they haven't come across anyone able to control their diabetes by diet anyway (and they wouldn't since the Eatwell plate is massively carb heavy). They also believe that the only function of a meter is to test for hypos and so they are correct that if you are only on metformin you are not at risk of a hypo - but you are at risk of eating carbs that will massively spike your blood sugar. You may have difficulty persuading them that they should give you a meter and strips for this though as they are not really interested in you making yourself well.:)

Anyway welcome to the forum. Read some of the threads on here about statins via the search function and that may help you to decide if you really want to take them and buy that meter so you can take control of your own health. I was devastated by the initial diagnosis but now feel it has actually given me a new lease of life via the LCHF way of eating which has made me so much fitter and healthier overall.