1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Doctor refuses me test strips TWICE

Discussion in 'Ketogenic diet forum' started by Footygirl, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Bittern

Bittern Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In twenty years I have never been prescribed test strips and have self funded. I only test new foods or changes in diet plus once a day, usually foot on floor, test. It's worked so far.

2. HarryBeau

HarryBeau Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Be careful Daisy often the meters we are given are freebies supplied to your GP by the companies who make their money on the testing strips usually the more expensive ones as @Goonergal says it's better to find out what the most affordable meter & strips are.
    I do still have my testing strips supplied on prescription & I still take Metformin, even then having your GP supply them is not a certainty, my GP would not prescribe them without my challenging the local CCG on the way they interpreted the NICE guidelines it involved a lot of hard work.

But there is nothing to stop you trying, don't ask don't get.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well done and keep going because your hba1c will drop further and if you are being strict with the carbs the results will start being boringly predictable.
    Sad to say that as a type 2 you would need to make your diabetes serious enough to require insulin before you were given test strips.
    I am type 1 and got mine for free which makes my laxity recently quite shameful (I have never given up chocolate). I now have a free style libre which lasts for 2 weeks and at cost is £48. This is a lot but could perhaps be used once every 3 months to get lots of accurate readings across the day and night which might provide an interesting snapshot of your state of insulin resistance and reaction to different foods.

4. DaisyDuke 2

DaisyDuke 2 Type 2 · Active Member

Yes I can understand that, plus also listening to your body. I generally know when my blood is low. It’s just when it’s higher than usual.

Thanks for all your help, Merry Christmas

5. DaisyDuke 2

Yes, after doing an online search Contour Next came out tops for accuracy 100%, however the strips are £20 for 50!

6. lucylocket61

lucylocket61 Type 2 · Expert

I think this might be causing confusion on here, as being one would mean you were in a coma.

Such a high reading is also very unusual in a type 2.

Are you on any diabetes meds at the moment?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. DaisyDuke 2

I can only tell you what my machine said... but it seems there are not alway accurate.

I was on Metformin in the beginning but it didn’t agree with me and So, I did a little research and found this site and Diet Doctor and now cook everything from scratch.

Doctor advised me to test every morning, before and after meal which I have done ever since being diagnosed.
    My blood sugar was very high when first diagnosed but due to the diet and daily exercise it has dropped down to “normal”

I was having regular (3 month) blood test until this year, but only had one this year due to Covid, in October and then they didn’t test my sugar for some reason ?
    Not been for an eye test or seen Doctor and now they don’t want to give test strips!
    Feeling a bit abandoned

8. searley

searley Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm luck they are prescribed as I said any meter with affordable strips will do

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook