Doctor said No

Hodge1960

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could I please ask for some advice,.... I had hba1c test done in February it came Back at 40mmol's 20/42 doctor said I am not diabetic or pre, I tested using my code free monitor and was higher than the tables on here for levels, I stopped taking readings as doctor said I should.. now one day last week I was not feeling good and just for the shell of it I took my blood sugar reading 31.2. Half hour reading after it was 10.5.... am on blood pressure meds which doc said would not affect my glucose even if I had been diabetic...does anyone have a clue what if anything in the body could make levels high. I am overweight and 55 if that accounts for raises ??

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Was that 31.2 reading taken 2 hours after a meal or some other time? I don't think BP pills make much difference to blood sugar - my Ramipril (low dose) doesn't.

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
as a test try taking a pre brekkie and 2 hours post brekkie result for a week -- every day .

record those results and if any pre meals are above 6.4 and any 2 hour post meal are above 8.5 go straight back to your doctor with the record ( do not pass go !! - monopoly reference :) )

all the best !!

Reactions: 4 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could I please ask for some advice,.... I had hba1c test done in February it came Back at 40mmol's 20/42 doctor said I am not diabetic or pre, I tested using my code free monitor and was higher than the tables on here for levels, I stopped taking readings as doctor said I should.. now one day last week I was not feeling good and just for the shell of it I took my blood sugar reading 31.2. Half hour reading after it was 10.5.... am on blood pressure meds which doc said would not affect my glucose even if I had been diabetic...does anyone have a clue what if anything in the body could make levels high. I am overweight and 55 if that accounts for raises ??
I have a Codefree too, and sometimes it gives me a misread with an unusually high value. if this happens again, repeat the test on a different finger, and compare

There must be a reason why you got a meter. Do you suspect that diabetes is likely in your case? I agree with the advice about checking the same meal for a week as suggested, But a caution, the SD Codefree tends to read a couple of points higher than the range values quoted by Daisy1 on this site since it has different calibration. Mine does

ETA my latest HbA1c shows that my NEO reads about 1 mmol/L low, but my SD Codefree is reading 1 mmol high. if I average between the two, I get very close to the lab value.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hodge1960

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your comments, the 31. Reading was mid morning but after the two hour deadline for post meal . I was feeling weird that's why I took a reading ..Thank you Himtoo I will give that a go.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly, I'd write that 31 mmol/L reading off as an error with the meter (given the context of the situation).

However, if that happens again you definitely need to see a doctor. Sometimes the cheaper (and even expensive ones) meters will malfunction like that and record false highs/lows.

If your blood sugar was truly that high, it would be a potentially life threatening situation.