Type 2 Doctor wants to stop medication soon

pezcore

Hi Everyone,

So was diagnosed back in January with my first HbA1c test at 10.9.
Doctors put me on metformin 250 mg twice daily. I had some decent results but a month later, was increased to 500mg.
Since I do not have a physician, I have to be followed at a clinic and that new doctor switch my meds to Janumet 50mg/500mg. Ive been taking this since late February.

Now, Ive been on quite the change of lifestyle, I take a 30 min walk daily after diner/supper, dramatically reducing my portions, and my carb intake to a max of 100g daily.

Im 6'2" and I weighed in at 331lbs the day I was diagnosed and as of last week end, Im now at 270.. 61 pounds lost in 4 months.

I got my results today of my 2nd HbA1c and it is 5.2. the doctor is now afraid that im getting too low. She is switching me back to metformin at 250mg and she said that most likely in October, after the result of my 3rd test, she'll stop the meds all together, especially if the weight loss continues, which I intend to because my goal was losing 100 lbs in a year.

This kinda scares me to be honest even though I should be taking this as great news. Im afraid that my levels will go up or will have to make an even greater effort, to keep the same results. I had a great thing going here, why mess it up? I understand that I dont want my levels to be too low but still. When you're fighting to lower yout glucose level and now im told, they're too lowm it feels weird Not sure what to think about it.

Anyone else went through this? Did your A1c test remain similar even without the medication. Still learning about this disease so perhaps Im missing something.

Anyways, thank you

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, @pezcore .
First of all, well done on your achievement. Weight lost, change for the better with diet and exercise. Reduction to non-diabetic HbA1c. What’s not to like?
Ok, so you still have weight to lose to reach your target, but October is a while away, and you can discuss staying on Metformin then, if you need to. If you keep on your current diet and exercise regime, I see no reason for you not to meet your goal.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was really ill taking Metformin and Atorvastatin, so stopped.
There was no need to have ever taken them as far as I can see - my levels continues to reduce, my weight is stable.
I have has a couple of run ins with Covid which were not serious as an illness but they did increase my Hba1c, but my glucose levels are still as they always were after eating, so I assume that my next test will be back at non diabetic levels.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You'll be surprised how different your body is by then, not just in terms of weight, but how its working internally too. Don't make any decisions now, just see how it is at the next review.
You've got this, doing well.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,

So was diagnosed back in January with my first HbA1c test at 10.9.
Doctors put me on metformin 250 mg twice daily. I had some decent results but a month later, was increased to 500mg.
Since I do not have a physician, I have to be followed at a clinic and that new doctor switch my meds to Janumet 50mg/500mg. Ive been taking this since late February.

Now, Ive been on quite the change of lifestyle, I take a 30 min walk daily after diner/supper, dramatically reducing my portions, and my carb intake to a max of 100g daily.

Im 6'2" and I weighed in at 331lbs the day I was diagnosed and as of last week end, Im now at 270.. 61 pounds lost in 4 months.

I got my results today of my 2nd HbA1c and it is 5.2. the doctor is now afraid that im getting too low. She is switching me back to metformin at 250mg and she said that most likely in October, after the result of my 3rd test, she'll stop the meds all together, especially if the weight loss continues, which I intend to because my goal was losing 100 lbs in a year.

This kinda scares me to be honest even though I should be taking this as great news. Im afraid that my levels will go up or will have to make an even greater effort, to keep the same results. I had a great thing going here, why mess it up? I understand that I dont want my levels to be too low but still. When you're fighting to lower yout glucose level and now im told, they're too lowm it feels weird Not sure what to think about it.

Anyone else went through this? Did your A1c test remain similar even without the medication. Still learning about this disease so perhaps Im missing something.

Anyways, thank you

Hi there,

so congratulations on moving to this point. I can share that I also lost a lot of weight and my hba1c dropped to just below the cut off and was hovering around the pre diabetic levels

I was on more drugs than yourself and the last drug I stopped was metformin, all done by doctor support.

the changes to what is eaten I found meant stopping metformin didn’t impact noticeably my hba1c levels. I am not against taking medication if needed but I wanted to go to a stage without, really to see if I could. In the future if things change I’m not against it. The only impact is that imminently my medex will run out and diet controlled T2 aren’t on free prescriptions but then I don’t have drugs so no impact :)

so, for me, yes levels stayed similar and what I eat makes more difference. If you stop them, you can test your bloods yourself or still keep an eye on your hba1c and if there is a significant enough change go back to them maybe?

it’s actually a good thing your doctor wants you to stop, some push medications that might not be needed too quickly.

change is scary but honestly. Take from this how amazingly well you have done. You (and others on the forums) are changing the minds of the medical profession that you cannot put T2 into remission and control it. But if you are concerned still, have you raised these concerns with the doctor?

all that said, some people on the forums also do continue to take a low dose of metformin for other reasons. I believe @Rachox is one. Not sure what those discussions doctor wise are

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Welcome @pezcore
I would say that you are giving too much credit to the fairly lowish amount of mild drugs you have been given.
Metformin helps a little by reducing the amount of stored glucose released by your liver. It does not reduce the sugar in your blood that got there from your diet.
It is the changes you have made to your lifestyle and diet that have had the most impact on your weight loss and hba1c.
If your levels do rise a little without any medication, at 100g of carbs a day you could easily cut your carbs further to compensate.
Well done on your progress so far, excellent results.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think your doctor is being so supportive and sensible, treating you as an individual, and wish I had met one like that.

With medical support, you can ease off the metformin when your bloods stabilise in the remission range, and if it doesn't work out, it's easy enough to go back on a low dose.

I have come off it completely, and it made maybe point 5 difference for a few weeks, which has now adjusted downwards. We are all different, but most of us have found similarly. I control my T2 solely with diet. I'm happy to do that.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
all that said, some people on the forums also do continue to take a low dose of metformin for other reasons. I believe @Rachox is one. Not sure what those discussions doctor wise are

As @Andydragon says, yes despite my HbA1cs are maintained in the 30s I continue on 1500mg Metformin per day. It’s helps suppress my appetite making maintaining weight more easy, plus it appears it may have other benefits too, some are cited here:
https://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2001/9/report_metformin
My GP and DN agree with my informed decision, and I don’t suffer any unwanted side effects. My surgery will check my vitamin B12 levels if I ask, as Metformin can sometimes affect absorption on B12 and so far those results have been normal :)

Reactions: EllieM

pezcore

Thanks for all the nice comments and replies. I am psyched that after less than a year, I might get off the meds. I'm proud of that all the sacrifices and efforts I've made are paying off. I often said, before being diagnosed, that I had to change my lifestyle as I was eating myself to death.

However, perhaps it's more of a mental crutch than anything else, I really thought the medicine was doing alot of the heavy lifting. This lifestyle of healthy eating, physical activities, the weight loss and 2 pills a day was working well. Afraid to lose my mojo if one element is taking away.

However, you guys are reassuring me alot so thanks again

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Afraid to lose my mojo if one element is taking away

Ask yourself why most Dr's consider T2 to be progressive.
If the drugs worked as well as you think wouldn't everyone find this T2 malarkey easy, just take your pills and make a few minor changes to the diet and forget you ever had T2.
If there is any mojo (magic) happening here it is in your hard work and commitment not in any pill

Reactions: ziggy_w