Doctor won't

les1480

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Doctor won' t give me a self test kit so I don't know if I'm controlling my levels What can i do other than buy my own with I think will be quite expensive for me ?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @les1480 and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately as a type 2, unless you are on insulin or blood glucose lowering medication you are unlikely to be prescribed a testing kit. If you want to track your levels and test which food affect you, then self funding will be the only option.

The cost of the strips is much more important- that is the bit that can be expensive. There are two meters which have cheaper strips:

SD Codefree, available from
https://homehealth-uk.com/product-category/blood-glucose/
which costs £12.98 or:

TEE2
http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/
which is free

Make sure that you tick the appropriate box on the on-line order form and you won't pay VAT on your meter or strips.
For the SD Codefree, the strips are £7.69 for a pack of 50 and there are discount codes available for bulk purchases:
5 packs x 50 use code: 264086 .. cost is £29.49
10 packs x 50 use code: 975833 .. cost is £58.98
Finding the box to put the discount code is a bit tricky, so pay attention!

For the TEE 2, the strips are £7.75 for a pack of 50 .. but there are no discount codes currently available

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello, and welcome to the forum,

I cannot add anything to what @Goonergal said, except to emphasise that self testing is very important when you are learning about how your body reacts to different foods, giving you the chance to formulate a way of eating that keeps your blood sugars under control, is sustainable, and enjoyable.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Is metformin blood glucose lowering medication That what the doctor put me on

Metformin is a mild drug. It helps a little with reducing the amount of glucose the liver produces and also helps a little with insulin resistance. It doesn't reduce blood glucose levels after eating. What you eat is more important. It is also an appetite suppressant, so if you need to lose weight it can help in that respect.

Reactions: dbr10 and ziggy_w

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to self fund my strips too. I use the SD Code Free and use the discount codes to make it as cheap as possible. As you’re diagnosed diabetic and have been put on Metformin you now qualify for free prescriptions in England (unless you’re in Scotland or Wales in which case they are already free). In case you haven’t already done so you need to get a form from your GP to confirm your diagnosis and then send it off to get your exemption card. Here’s a link to more info.:
https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/exemption-certificates/medical-exemption-certificates

Reactions: dbr10 and ziggy_w

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No it helps with BG management but cannot cause hypo’s, unlike insulin and sulfonylureas which are the medications attracting test strips on prescription. I would agree with others that self funding the Tee2 or codefree and using that to establish what dietary choices work for you is a vary good investment to make

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Doctor won' t give me a self test kit so I don't know if I'm controlling my levels What can i do other than buy my own with I think will be quite expensive for me ?
It's completely idiotic.

les1480

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It a joke because you on eBay and loads of strips available multi packs with long dates my suspicions are raised

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It a joke because you on eBay and loads of strips available multi packs with long dates my suspicions are raised
I had a quick look on eBay for Code Free strips and I couldn’t actually find any cheaper than if you buy from Homehealth using the link and discount codes that @Goonergal posted in comment #2. Especially if you order 10 boxes, they work out at £5.89 each. Correct me if I’m wrong but I couldn’t find as cheap as that on eBay.

Biggles2

What can i do other than buy my own with I think will be quite expensive for me ?
Hi @les1480 and welcome to the forum! With regard to the strips, I think of it as a trade-off. I find that testing helps me to avoid all of those foods which raised my blood glucose and eventually got me my T2DM diagnosis in the first place. To be honest, I think that testing has even saved me money over the long term as I have eliminated so much unhealthy food from my diet - to the extent that my grocery budget is about 1/3 less than it used to be!

Reactions: Prem51

les1480

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone for the advice I don't get to do because I was somebody says it's apocracy if you don't bother taking your meds and you can end up in serious trouble with holding cost NHS twice as much to put it right so god knows how much a small meter and a few test strips once a month is going to cost them as how much as having you in hospital for 24-48 hours is it going to cost

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Am type2 and self fund.
I use a codefree.
I get mine from amazon, that homehealth also sell through. Exactly the same price as the homehealth site. I found ordering through Amazon that they arrive quicker then through homehealth

Biggles2

Thanks everyone for the advice I don't get to do because I was somebody says it's apocracy if you don't bother taking your meds and you can end up in serious trouble with holding cost NHS twice as much to put it right so god knows how much a small meter and a few test strips once a month is going to cost them as how much as having you in hospital for 24-48 hours is it going to cost
You are so right @les1480. It is a penny foolish pound wise approach. Unfortunately, CCG's and GP's have a finite budget and must deal with the 'here and now' issues in front of them, and make the most prudent and fair decisions based on the immediate needs of their total population within their current budget cycle. Being wise about prevention is a very forward-looking approach. But does work, as Dr. David Unwin can attest too!

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I fund my own SD Codefree too. Very few type 2's will get meter and strips prescribed. Many excuses are given but it seems to boil down to cost and is very much a postcode lottery.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have managed to get 3 months @ 50 strips a month because I was able to show the GP how I have lowered my BG and weight by testing pre and post main meal. I believe I am in the minority!

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was self funding and will continue to self fund when the prescriptions dry up which I'm sure they will .........

D

Diabeticliberty

You can appeal in writing in the strongest terms and tell your doctor you intend to lodge a formal complaint against his or her foolish decision to refuse you the equipment you need to self manage your own condition. I do not suggest that this will be easy but if you are able to make a strong enough argument then sometimes doctors will relent. My ex missus is type 2 and we appealed a decision to refuse her testing equipment and had it overturned but it was a battle. I am type 1 and my own GP attempted to cut my blood testing equipment by 50%. I demanded an appointment, sat in front of him and challenged him. I told him I would pursue this matter with my dying breath if that's what it took and he backed down. I know another lady who lodged a very strong complaint when her own doctor refused her testing equipment misquoting NICE Guidelines. She challenged her doctor alone and in the end was successful in her quest to quite rightly be prescribed test strips. I don't mean to be overly forceful but until more diabetics start to challenge these absolutely crackpot decisions then the doctors and DSN's will continue to ride roughshod over us and quite frankly this is wrong. If you don't wish to challenge your doctor then this is ok. Lots of diabetics choose not to. Personally hiwever I think you should as you have nothing to lose and lots to gain. Without testing none of us have much chance of good control. I wish you the very best whatever you decide to do :)

Reactions: ziggy_w

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Metformin does not lower BG, it makes your body respond better to the insliln your body creates, therefore there is no risk of BG being too low due to taking metformin