Doctors Advice is confusing

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much for your input! Its not like I was even asking to eat the fattiest cuts of beef or pork. I literally asked if I could continue to have chicken breast, salmon, and mackerel. I don't think eating a balanced meal of vegetables, protein, and nuts should destroy me.
Well, yes. As it happens I do go for the fattiest cuts, because that's where my fuel comes from. I am not bothered by cholesterol worry, but you might be interested to know that my total calculated cholesterol is at its lowest ever level (still high enough for me to be refusing statins on a regular basis).

pb&cj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My doc knows my way of eating has kept me in the normal range since a month or two after diagnosis. She still tells me it's perfectly fine for me to have a slice of birthday cake every now and again, at parties, so I don't feel left out. I think she figures no-one can keep up a diet without cake? ;)

Just go with your meter, it knows better what's happening in your body than your, (or my!), GP at any given time. My meter loves meat, poultry, fish and eggs, does yours? :)

As for exercise, not my area of expertise, but considering the diet's the main thing... Anything you do is a bonus. One long walk or a bunch of small ones will lower blood glucose. Anything strenuous'll make you spike most likely, but in the long run you lower blood glucose... I figure, whatever you do is a win. But that's just my take. Find what suits your life, really.
Thank you! You're the first person to actually say what I've been thinking. My doctor said to add fruits and that I could eat sweets every so often but I told her that it's okay. She told me that its not sustainable to abstain from those treats. I'm not gonna lie, I do want my slice of pizza or piece of fried chicken but that's it. I have no cravings for anything outside of those two things. It feels good to know I'm not the only one :) Thank you so much

• Hug
Reactions: JoKalsbeek

pb&cj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, yes. As it happens I do go for the fattiest cuts, because that's where my fuel comes from. I am not bothered by cholesterol worry, but you might be interested to know that my total calculated cholesterol is at its lowest ever level (still high enough for me to be refusing statins on a regular basis).
Ah really? Hmm I may have to test this out for myself cause it'd be wonderful to have a bit of a nice reverse seared ribeye ya know? That would make my entire month haha

Reactions: Paul_

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat all the fat that comes with the meat, cook with plenty of olive oil and butter, love crispy chicken skin and enjoy oily fish. No ill effects whatsoever, and you wouldn't believe how good my skin is!

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah really? Hmm I may have to test this out for myself cause it'd be wonderful to have a bit of a nice reverse seared ribeye ya know? That would make my entire month haha
Yes, really. Steak as often as possible for me. I don't see any problem with fried chicken either - I'm not using anything carby to coat it in and fry it in lard, ghee, or similar.

Zero impact on my BG.

Pizza - no. Not for me.

Your doctor's recommendation of fruit (fructose) and sweets would keep sending both your blood glucose and your insulin levels up, so your system will not adapt to lower glucose levels. Best avoided in my book.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@pb&cj - And just to show how versatile low carb / keto is, I don't go for the fattiest cuts as a general rule. This isn't down to any health concern or medical factor, it's just my personal preference. However, I still hit fat requirements for my keto macros, I still hit calorie requirements (although cals are a secondary target for me personally, despite needing to lose weight). That's the beauty of this diet/lifestyle for me, you can tailor and adapt it to fit your needs and preferences.

Contrary to many opinions from doctors that I've seen, I really don't see low carb or keto as restrictive in any bad ways. The whole "it's unsustainable without sweets and junk food" angle bugs me to the extreme. The fact is that those foods should be limited/restricted for everyone, they should be treats at best, and the insistence they should be built in to normal, everyday dietary routines is why global health trends are moving in the dire direction they are. I'd also add that contrary to the general perception, it is possible to build these treats in to low carb and keto diets if you really wanted, as long as the portion you're having fits within your macro limits, which again if we're honest, addresses the portion control everyone should be practicing with sweets and junk food, diabetic or not.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pizza is one of my all time missed foods but you can still get the “pizza hit” just not with the bread crust, google low carb pizza recipes or even “fathead pizza” I’ve never done that one but people that have say it’s amazing.

Batten out a chicken breast and cook it through in the oven, don’t over cook, take it out add a bit of tomato paste, mozzarella cheese, any toppings and herbs you like and put it back in the oven for 10 minutes, delish!

Or you could be lazy like me and buy some low carb bases from the internet, I get mine from the Low Carb Food Co. Which is where I get my low carb bread & rolls from, granted they’re not cheap (can’t remember how much) but still work out cheaper than take away pizza they’re in a pack of 4 and freeze well.

• Agree

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pizza is one of my all time missed foods but you can still get the “pizza hit” just not with the bread crust, google low carb pizza recipes or even “fathead pizza” I’ve never done that one but people that have say it’s amazing.

Batten out a chicken breast and cook it through in the oven, don’t over cook, take it out add a bit of tomato paste, mozzarella cheese, any toppings and herbs you like and put it back in the oven for 10 minutes, delish!

Or you could be lazy like me and buy some low carb bases from the internet, I get mine from the Low Carb Food Co. Which is where I get my low carb bread & rolls from, granted they’re not cheap (can’t remember how much) but still work out cheaper than take away pizza they’re in a pack of 4 and freeze well.
The Low Carb Food Co pizza bases were a game changer for me. Don't have them often, but they brought back a convenient option and satisfied the pizza itch. They're 1.4g of carbs for the entire base.

I think @pb&cj is US based, however there are a number of decent suppliers over the pond from what I've seen. Fathead dough does get rave reviews, but like you, I haven't attempted it as yet.

I'll also throw out low carb wraps as an alternative for a pizza base too - just make sure they're actually low carb, not just claiming it.

@pb&cj - This has prompted me to mention about food labelling differences. Being a UK forum, you'll see most of us here just talking about total carbs, not net carbs. It's different in the US, where the carbs listed on your labels include fiber as well. You'll need to take the carb amount listed on the label and subtract the fiber content to find net carbs, and net carbs are what you're interested in restricting to whatever gram level you decide on.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
May I also ask about working out to anyone here? Does it matter if I split up my walking time or would it work to have a single workout in the morning? I'm just trying to ascertain whether length of workout is important or frequency is more important. Cause I've heard that a 10-20 min after a meal can help blood sugar spikes. But I'm getting a bit exhausted doing that after everything I eat.
The best exercise is something you can maintain.
There are a number of people who walk after eating ... because it helps bring down their blood sugars.
But if this is causing you problems, you are not likely to maintain it.

I often see questions asking "what i the best exercise?"
All exercise has benefits (beyond reducing blood sugars) and should be encouraged.
But if you don't enjoy it or don't really have time for it or don't feel good afterwards, you will not continue it.

So, if you are more likely to continue doing a longer walk in the morning than a shorter walk after every meal, do that.
The benefit of exercise on our blood suagrs is more than just reducing the post-meal spike - it has an effect for up to 48 hours as well as being good for our mental health.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
piece of fried chicken
No carbs in fried chicken without a crust.
If you want a crust, I just discovered that pork scratchings make an excellent crust on fish so it would work on chicken as well. The downside, just like with pizza is that you'll have to make it yourself.
Crush pork scratchings to crumbs, coat whatever you want a crust on with a beaten egg or mayonnaise for glue, roll in pork scratchings and fry or bake. No carbs but don't tell your doctor. :hilarious:

Impy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for your input! Its not like I was even asking to eat the fattiest cuts of beef or pork. I literally asked if I could continue to have chicken breast, salmon, and mackerel. I don't think eating a balanced meal of vegetables, protein, and nuts should destroy me.
If you want to add a bit of variety try some seeds as well - chia, flax and sesame seeds are all good, hemp seeds as well if you can get them.

Chia seed pudding is one of my breakfast staples (18g chia seeds/125ml unsweetened almond milk, mix together and leave in the fridge overnight - add berries for flavour if you want) :)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No carbs in fried chicken without a crust.
If you want a crust, I just discovered that pork scratchings make an excellent crust on fish so it would work on chicken as well. The downside, just like with pizza is that you'll have to make it yourself.
Crush pork scratchings to crumbs, coat whatever you want a crust on with a beaten egg or mayonnaise for glue, roll in pork scratchings and fry or bake. No carbs but don't tell your doctor. :hilarious:
Grated parmesan makes a good crust for fish so could work well with chicken as an alternative.

• Useful
Reactions: Paul_ and Antje77

pb&cj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you want to add a bit of variety try some seeds as well - chia, flax and sesame seeds are all good, hemp seeds as well if you can get them.

Chia seed pudding is one of my breakfast staples (18g chia seeds/125ml unsweetened almond milk, mix together and leave in the fridge overnight - add berries for flavour if you want) :)
That sounds like a great idea, I've been missing my chia seeds but the carb content is so high :/

pb&cj

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Low Carb Food Co pizza bases were a game changer for me. Don't have them often, but they brought back a convenient option and satisfied the pizza itch. They're 1.4g of carbs for the entire base.

I think @pb&cj is US based, however there are a number of decent suppliers over the pond from what I've seen. Fathead dough does get rave reviews, but like you, I haven't attempted it as yet.

I'll also throw out low carb wraps as an alternative for a pizza base too - just make sure they're actually low carb, not just claiming it.

@pb&cj - This has prompted me to mention about food labelling differences. Being a UK forum, you'll see most of us here just talking about total carbs, not net carbs. It's different in the US, where the carbs listed on your labels include fiber as well. You'll need to take the carb amount listed on the label and subtract the fiber content to find net carbs, and net carbs are what you're interested in restricting to whatever gram level you decide on.
That is the most game changing information I have yet to receive to date. I didn't know that you had to subtract the fiber amount to get the actual carb number. Oh my goodness... that changes a lot of things for me. Again, Paul coming in clutch and really saving me!

Reactions: Antje77 and flonvic

Dave006

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My doctor just said that I shouldn't do low carb like that :/ and also I shouldn't get my protein from animal meats or fish (just once in a while) and that I would benefit from a purely plant based diet. Idk what to think any more. It just feels like she ripped out the last thing I could enjoy.

I was told that lifting weights or strenuous exercise would raise my blood sugar levels too much. I've just been walking around and its nice but I just miss the weights.

I don't know how to tag someone but thank you to Paul for advising me to post this

Wow.. hmmm maybe you should start looking for another Doctor.
Please make time google: Dr. Ken Berry and Dr. Jason Fung
You’ll be amazed of their expertise in reversing T2 Diabetes. I’ve been following them since I was diagnosed as a Type 2 over 4 years ago.
I’m on the LCHF (low carb healthy fats) lifestyle.
I eat cruciferous vegetables, free range eggs (6 to 8 a day) grass fed meat, fish, raw Oysters and cook with Ghee, Coconut oil and eat grass fed butter on my homemade Hempseed bread. I eat avocado and rarely eat berries. I at times put double cream on a piece of bread and eat. Saturated fats are good for us.. any Doctors need to unlearn and face reality.
Check out the UK based Dr. David Unwin, I follow him too.
All the best..

Dave006

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't agree with your doctor (I didn't agree with the NHS advice I was given either).

I have been on ~20g carb a day since December 2019, with the results seen below. The carb largely comes from green veg, but I'm fuelled 95% by meat and dairy. While I think it's possible for some people to achieve similar results on a plant-based diet, that would not work for me.

I do get blood glucose rises with strenuous exercise, which is good - my system is providing fuel for my muscle cells to work, and contributing to using up energy stored in bodyfat. And it feels good. My glucose will be back to my normal level within minutes of stopping. If I were you, I'd be back on those weights.

With advice like you've had, I can see why there is still a belief in much of the medical profession that T2 is a progressive, inescapable disease. Following that advice would probably do it.

Well said…
I’ve been following Dr. David Unwin, Dr. Ken Berry and Dr. Jason Fung as well as many other Doctors for the past 5 years.
I’m still medication free and eating a LCHF diet.. free range eggs, grass fed meat, fish, Oysters, minimum cruciferous veggies, cook with Ghee, Coconut oil, grass fed butter on my homemade Hempseed bread and I’m gym slim as .. Type 2 can be controlled as I’ve never taken any medications. If one is stressed and not sleeping well, BG goes up.. I walk a lot and keep myself busy moving about, I feel good. BG goes up but will come down if one is doing the right thing.