Doctors to experience hypo

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounded like a mere fraction of a real hypo to me. Just the visual stuff.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Safer than this "experiment" I suppose..?

Not hypoglycemia. But the some of effects may as well be...

Reactions: Dodo

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Those VR headsets always make me feel nauseous too, and the visual effects are very powerful.
Hopefully it will give some idea, but it won't be the whole body experience (or my particular brand of psychotic rage), that is for sure!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Those VR headsets always make me feel nauseous too, and the visual effects are very powerful.
Hopefully it will give some idea, but it won't be the whole body experience (or my particular brand of psychotic rage), that is for sure!

That whole walking into a room & forgetting why accompanied with the HUD eye thing.
The only way they could realy understand the mindset of it, is in a controlled safe environment & sent sub 3.5...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It won't come close to being like the real thing @Dodo , but nonetheless it will give them some insight (and anything is better than nothing I suppose).

Reactions: Dodo

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The only way they could realy understand the mindset of it, is in a controlled safe environment & sent sub 3.5...

That would be a useful thing to try on whichever politicians and NHS managers are calling the shots on whether cgm should be on the NHS - we could say, see, guys, that's what we spend a lot of time avoiding, how did you like it?

Reactions: Jaylee and azure

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh can't say how much I would like to put some of the " experts " who have told me down the years that I only need to eat 20g carbs max when I'm having a hypo into an insulin induced hypo.
I would stand them in a kitchen, with biscuits,fruit, bread, chocolate, cereals the whole lot and tell them that the glass of OJ or the 4 jelly babies or the 4 Glucotabs is all that can eat.
There ain't nothing that in my opinion that can ever replicate any one of the hundreds of different hypos we have to live with.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I read this and was a little disappointed...

I read that newly diagnosed diabetics used to be forced into a controlled state of hypoglycemia at the hospital as to make them aware of the sensations and get an idea of what to look out for.

Could always try it on a doctor, dextrose IV on standby - job done:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I read that newly diagnosed diabetics used to be forced into a controlled state of hypoglycemia at the hospital as to make them aware of the sensations and get an idea of what to look out for.

That is what happened to myself @GrantGam

Spent 5 days in hospital and wasn't allowed home until I'd had a hypo, in the end they induced the hypo and still remember it to this day.

Times have changed and newly diagnosed people aren't always admitted to hospital now, but managing type 1 back then was a little bit more tricky as you didn't have bg meters (you had to test for glucose in your urine which was time consumming) and we didn't have the luxury of insulin pens, the syringes we used were the old fashioned type made of glass and the needles for them were the same size as knitting needles :rolleyes:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Spent 5 days in hospital and wasn't allowed home until I'd had a hypo, in the end they induced the hypo and still remember it to this day.

Times have changed and newly diagnosed people aren't always admitted to hospital now, but managing type 1 back then was a little bit more tricky as you didn't have bg meters (you had to test for glucose in your urine which was time consumming) and we didn't have the luxury of insulin pens, the syringes we used were the old fashioned type made of glass and the needles for them were the same size as knitting needles :rolleyes:
Any ideas why the induced hypo idea changed @noblehead?

My diabetologists made it very clear that they never wanted my BG coming down too quickly, so I can only imagine that it may have something to do with that?

From what you've said regarding the primitive tech, I do feel quite "lucky" to have got T1D when I did...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Any ideas why the induced hypo idea changed @noblehead?

I've no idea why things have changed tbh. In the 5 days I was in hospital they expected me to have a hypo without it being induced, but when it didn't happen they brought the hypo on, other long-term type 1's on the forum have said much .the same.

The good thing about having your first hypo in a hospital setting is you know you are safe, looking back I'm sort of pleased they done it that way as the first hypo can be frightening.

Reactions: GrantGam

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The good thing about having your first hypo in a hospital setting is you know you are safe, looking back I'm sort of pleased they done it that way as the first hypo can be frightening.
Fully agree. I had my first one on the way to lunch with the Mrs, luckily I wasn't driving as I plummeted quite rapidly after interpreting a nutritional label incorrectly for breakfast...

Sure I was aware of the symptoms, but being aware of them and experiencing them for the first time are two very different things! It was scary, and I massively over-corrected - a hypo surrounded by doctors would have been slightly better:)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sure I was aware of the symptoms, but being aware of them and experiencing them for the first time are two very different things!

Absolutely, totally agree. At least you come to no harm and over-correcting is just impulse as your body is in a state of panic (in a situation that it doesn't recognise).

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Absolutely, totally agree. At least you come to no harm and over-correcting is just impulse as your body is in a state of panic (in a situation that it doesn't recognise).
Absolutely. Was a define panic, and a sweaty one at that!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I remember you mentioning hypo inducement a while back.. I'm wracking my brain & don't remember ever undergoing this.
(Though I was in hospital for about 5 days.)
I was just given a "Janet & John have diabetes" book & told "if you come over all queer.? Eat something & drink milk."
Like you, I remember the pee test kit & glass syringes & was drawing up & injecting myself the first week I was back home.
The "care package" at school was an 8 year old & a satchel containing a chemisty set & mars bars .. Seriously, that was it!

In the twee illustrated book John feels funny after running out to play without eating & mum gave him milk.. He was always getting onto jolly old scrapes with his diabetes.. But help is always at hand.
In the early years it felt like I'd been knocked sideways on the animal stuff..
It taught me think calm & rationally under duress.. No one else had a clue how to help in most scenarios unless it happened at home..

Reactions: noblehead

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember you mentioning hypo inducement a while back.. I'm wracking my brain & don't remember ever undergoing this.
(Though I was in hospital for about 5 days.)
I was just given a "Janet & John have diabetes" book & told "if you come over all queer.? Eat something & drink milk."
Like you, I remember the pee test kit & glass syringes & was drawing up & injecting myself the first week I was back home.
The "care package" at school was an 8 year old & a satchel containing a chemisty set & mars bars .. Seriously, that was it!

In the twee illustrated book John feels funny after running out to play without eating & mum gave him milk.. He was always getting onto jolly old scrapes with his diabetes.. But help is always at hand.
It taught me think calm & rationally under duress.. No one else had a clue how to help in most scenarios unless it happened at home..
I don't remember an induced hypo either even though I was in for 2 weeks. I certainly remember the glass syringes and urine testing though as that went on for a number of years.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

It was because I'd not had a hypo in the time I was in, so they suggested inducing one to get a feel of what one felt like.

I was a bit too old for the Janet & John book @Jaylee :) But wasn't it great that such books were around then.

And the smell of surgical spirit (was it surgical spirit we kept the syringe in?). The pee test was the called the Clinitest Kit, there some good pics on Google images as a reminder of what one looked like.

Imagine a Mars Bar being recommended now as a hypo treatment, I too carried one around.

I found the hypo's were more profound on animal insulin, they could indeed knock you sideways.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And the smell of surgical spirit (was it surgical spirit we kept the syringe in?). The pee test was the called the Clinitest Kit, there some good pics on Google images as a reminder of what one looked like.
Ah yes, the surgical spirit! I remember touching the bottom of the test tube when doing my pee test to see if the Clinitest tablet really did boil it. It did!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Ah yes, the surgical spirit! I remember touching the bottom of the test tube when doing my pee test to see if the Clinitest tablet really did boil it. It did!

You were not the only one........:rolleyes:

Wasn't it a downer when it turned orange?