Does anybody else inject in the morning without food?

smahmo99

I always get rising blood sugar levels in the morning, after breakfast, or exercise after waking.

I use 3u of Novorapid in the morning to combat the high blood sugars. I intermittent fast so I don’t eat till 1pm if I was to, my blood sugars will start going crazy for some reason.

Does any else inject insulin in the morning to combat this?

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its probably foot on the floor phenomena. Basically your body gets ready after waking up by releasing energy which increases the BS levels.

Used to happen a lot with me when I was on Lantus, now not so much I switched to Tresiba, but will still increase if I do certain exercises without food.

Reactions: Juicyj

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds like the effects of the morning hormones...........

if you aren't eating till 1pm then your liver will be providing assistance to help you start the day in the absence of any fuel in the gut....there may also be some cortisol about which will increase your resistance to insulin....

Reactions: smahmo99

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @smahmo99 As others have advised it's your body acting in response to the absence of food, it's always a good idea to start with something as simple as plain yoghurt and a few berries or something else to prevent the rise, otherwise you will need to correct with insulin to combat the rise. I cannot tolerate carbs in the morning as I can hit double figures very easily otherwise but need to eat something to prevent the steady increase in my BG levels, so something simple like full fat yoghurt does the trick with a bolus to cover this it keeps me in single figures during the morning.

smahmo99

Its probably foot on the floor phenomena. Basically your body gets ready after waking up by releasing energy which increases the BS levels.

Used to happen a lot with me when I was on Lantus, now not so much I switched to Tresiba, but will still increase if I do certain exercises without food.

How high would it go in general?

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How high would it go in general?

If I exercised without food it could easily hit double figures. Its a lot better now I'm on Tresiba though, and it also near enough eradicated my night time hypo's.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have the same which is magnified if I cycle into work. My liver is producing a load of glucose. A little bit of fat and protein seems to calrm things if I am not exercising intensively or a steady walk with the dog (me being steady, he being a crazy squirrel chasing creature!). I don't really like taking insulin when I haven't eaten and tend to react to the high sugar rather than doing it earlier.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yup, every morning before getting out of bed :)
My feet on the floor effect is very predictable, so I figured it doesn't make a difference if the glucose in my blood comes from food or from my liver.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it depends on my hunger too, I’ll correct and dose for breakfast if I’m hunger and if I’m tired and I want to lay in, I’ll correct and take my basal and roll back to sleep.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always get rising blood sugar levels in the morning, after breakfast, or exercise after waking.

I use 3u of Novorapid in the morning to combat the high blood sugars. I intermittent fast so I don’t eat till 1pm if I was to, my blood sugars will start going crazy for some reason.

Does any else inject insulin in the morning to combat this?
Yep. Every morning. Really frustrating when you want to maintain a beautiful straight line on the CGM and your friendly liver decides otherwise.:)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Yup. I dose for 12g fast carbs as soon as I get out of bed and that seems to deal with it.

Reactions: porl69

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
d it's your body acting in response to the absence of food
I don't find this to be true. I find the rise happens no matter what and must be countered with insulin. If I wake up and don't eat right away I have to take 1 to 2 units depending on what my BG is. If I eat right away I still have to take those 1 to 2 units + insulin for breakfast, and if I have coffee or walk my dog I need even more insulin to deal with that. It might be true for some type 1s or maybe type 2s that eating stops the rise, but for me it just starts happening the second I get out of bed and nothing except more and more insulin can stop it!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find the rise happens no matter what and must be countered with insulin.
Same for me. On the few occasions I do eat breakfast I inject for that again and ignore the insulin I already injected for getting out of bed.

Pat13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't find this to be true. I find the rise happens no matter what and must be countered with insulin. If I wake up and don't eat right away I have to take 1 to 2 units depending on what my BG is. If I eat right away I still have to take those 1 to 2 units + insulin for breakfast, and if I have coffee or walk my dog I need even more insulin to deal with that. It might be true for some type 1s or maybe type 2s that eating stops the rise, but for me it just starts happening the second I get out of bed and nothing except more and more insulin can stop it!
I have the same problem - my blood sugar rises the minute I get up! I have been type 1 for 51 years and this has never changed, except for a few months when I was pregnant. Apparently there is commonly a dawn rise in blood sugar so just put up with it. I tend to try to run most mornings before I eat and this seems to raise it even more! It does usually drop, but during the night. I use a freestyle sensor and this makes testing much easier, especially during the night and also saves my fingers.
Good luck!

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I tend to try to run most mornings before I eat and this seems to raise it even more
Yes, I find physical activity will raise BG rather than lower it in the morning. I used to run and would take a unit or two before starting.

geekypants

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to have to do this before getting out of bed in the morning. It was definitely exacerbated by morning exercise and not eating, but the high blood sugar made it really hard to face food. I had blood sugar readings as high as 17 (and once, before a stressful clinic appointment managed to stress myself up to 20something)

I had to train myself to eat breakfast. Controversially, I went through a stage of eating really palatable things like cereal of whatever. Yes, they caused a glucose spike, but it got me in the breakfast habit which has helped longer term.

smahmo99

I’m the same! I find me not eating breakfast actually helps with the Hypers I find it more easier to control.

When I wake up and eat blood sugar go sky high but if I don’t eat a simple 1-3u does the job for me.

Same goes with exercise a few hours after rising

Reactions: scotteric