Does Anybody Else Not Know Their Blood Group?

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I used to donate blood and from my card they give you I'm O+ :)

Reactions: 2 people
S

Shar67

Snap! Me too, I was told that we have a rare blood group, can't remember the percentage but it was under 5% of the population I think
My hubby is O rh negative, and he's always getting letters from Blood Donor Service to make sure he attends every six months to donate. I used to donate before t2

I'm B+ too, my mum was A+ so I think my dad is an AB+

Knew mum's from her being a blood donor and mine from being given 8 pints of whole blood transfusion when I was 18. I did donate until medically they changed mind about people who had whole blood transfusions then due to medication.

Last edited:

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
For only 5% of the population there seems a lot of B+ on here
Apparently it's 9% @Shar67 when I donated my first pint of blood at 18yrs I seem to remember being told it was under 5% but Mr Google says 9%

D

Deleted member 308541

I'm O negative, I found this out when I first donated blood when I first came to Australia.

I have not donated any for the last ten years or so, to much heart medication and copd puffers floating around in the system my Doc said give it a miss.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Ok folks I've got it...A Rhd Neg, just like Yvonne...how incredible is that for a reasonably "rare" (6% of population) blood type:)

It's now included in my emergency data home lock screen in my iPhone!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Last edited by a moderator:

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
I've got the red stuff ... but as to which type, I haven't a clue

:wideyed:

Tes78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok folks I've got it...A Rhd Neg, just like Yvonne...how incredible is that for a reasonably "rare" (6% of population) blood type:)

It's now included in my emergency data home lock screen in my iPhone!

I found mine out when I was pregnant, I needed extra injections and to carry a card around with my blood type on, which is also A negative.

Reactions: 4 people

deeds24

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found out I was Rh A- when I had my first daughter, I had to have an Anti-D injection within 72 hours of giving birth. In order to prevent rejection of any further pregnancies where the child is born with a + blood type. 3 of my 4 children were born Rh A-.

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am type O+ which is a universal donar ...they gave me a blue card many years ago when I wa shaving my first child and told me I could only receive blood from my own blood group but could give my blood to any other blood group. never was told to carry it aroudn with me so probably tucked inside a bag some where lol...

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Why were you giving your little one a shave? My son didn't start shaving till he was three.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Why were you giving your little one a shave? My son didn't start shaving till he was three.

Haha...I've just nearly fallen off my chair laughing:)

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I noticed over the past three months within this community that so many people know their Blood Type.

I don't:)...even at 54, so I asked the Dic today, but he explained you can't have the test on the NHS as it is not a medical requirement...fair enough:)

I'd be interested to know who else knows or does not know their blood type?

Every woman who has had a baby will have been told their blood group! Also if they have been ill (seriously) they may have found out that way. Some nationalities require their blood group to be on the id cards and passports. I know all my kids 3 because they were seriously ill and just was curious about the other 3 (turns out the a+ got ill and the b+ didnt wierd) i also know my parents and my parent in laws!

If you are curious and want to know i bought the test kits on amazon and would say use your own finger pricker as theirs is rubbish, there is also a diet called eat right 4 your blood type, where they believe that your blood type hold the key to what your body can cope with, mine puts me on the low carb diet!

Dark Horse

I am type O+ which is a universal donar ...they gave me a blue card many years ago when I wa shaving my first child and told me I could only receive blood from my own blood group but could give my blood to any other blood group. never was told to carry it aroudn with me so probably tucked inside a bag some where lol...
The "universal donor" blood group is O neg not O+. You shouldn't give rhesus (D) positive blood to a rhesus (D) negative recipient.

Humblebee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK so another question. How important is it that we know?

If we have to have an emergency transfusion, how quickly can they test, why do they give O as a default when they don't have it in your records?

Just trying to get a bit more knowledge and whether a private test would be useful:)

The reason for putting 'O' is those with O Rhesus Positive or Negative cannot be given any other blood type. Whereas all the others Blood Types can have 'O' . Hope that helps. I am O Positive as are two of my three sisters, with one being .... O Negative! Our Mum was O Positive, but no idea what our Dad was.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
While clearing a drawer, i stumbled across my old blood donor cards, which tell me I'm a .................B+.

For only 5% of the population there seems a lot of B+ on here
So I got to thinking, as a group, we could be very useful research data to someone. A Dr Peter d'Adamo claims, "Types A and B are the most susceptible to diabetes". Is there any truth in that? And also "Type B's are also especially susceptible to autoimmune disorders, such as chronic fatigue, lupus, and multiple sclerosis".
I've found a couple of other M.E. sufferers on here, so maybe there's a ring of truth in that too.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I noticed over the past three months within this community that so many people know their Blood Type.
I don't:)...even at 54, so I asked the Dic today, but he explained you can't have the test on the NHS as it is not a medical requirement...fair enough:)
Former blood donor, and tanks for it I know my blood type, subtype and whatever... A1+CCDee I don't know about UK rules, but it's not possible to get a "plain" prescription and pay the full price for the test?
I suppose the blood type test costs few quids.