Does anyone agree?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I feel the same way about the whole bag thing I have to carry around the biggest fecking bag possible just to make sure I have everything

:hilarious: maybe they could use you in a video next time, I'm sure I wouldn't moan about that one :rolleyes: ;) :D

Reactions: 2 people

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
I think it was meant to be over the top. I actually enjoyed it :)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd like to see her in a new series of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I once disclosed to a work colleague that I was diabetic and she changed so much towards me, she'd say things like 'your looking well today' well I look well everyday, I don't look different being diabetic! Or she'd say several times through my short 4 hour shift 'do you need to go and have a drink?' It drove my crazy so I vowed after that I would never tell anyone again. I absolutely hate the thought of people seeing me any 'different' to themselves!

Reactions: 3 people

HeatherJoy_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel the same way about the whole bag thing I have to carry around the biggest fecking bag possible just to make sure I have everything

Going to be a bit cheeky here, Im doing a university project about making a more compact blood glucose meter since i have a similar problem with carrying everything in my bag, if anyone has a spare few minutes could they fill it in? https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2Q6S2QL
Sorry for being cheeky and asking, but thanks if anyone does fill it in :)

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Going to be a bit cheeky here, Im doing a university project about making a more compact blood glucose meter since i have a similar problem with carrying everything in my bag, if anyone has a spare few minutes could they fill it in? https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2Q6S2QL
Sorry for being cheeky and asking, but thanks if anyone does fill it in :)

I filled it in for you!:) x

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I completed your survey. I saw a glucose monitor a fews years back that was simple but a good idea for travelling light. It was a pot of test strips that had a built in tester. So all you had to carry was a small pot and finger picker. X

keishamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I completed your survey. I saw a glucose monitor a fews years back that was simple but a good idea for travelling light. It was a pot of test strips that had a built in tester. So all you had to carry was a small pot and finger picker. X

I like the sound of that

HeatherJoy_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you
Yes i remember these havent seen them recently

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't had diabetes long but whenever people ask thats the first thing they say "Oh so that means you can't ever have chocolate?!"

I usually just laugh.. "No, it just means i can't ever have chocolate without stabbing myself with a needle is all.. "

In fact, two nights back i didn't really feel like making a dinner so i just ate half of a chocolate bar dipped in peanut butter lol I survived... sugars never got above 8mmol/l either.

Its tricky, because we want to convey that YES we can eat whatever we want, and still do anything we want to, but at the same time it is still a serious life long problem... So its hard to engage with people without coming off like its 'no big deal, and not bad at all' or 'its always a problem and lifes ruined'

My response is usually just to smile and change the topic..

EDIT - To avoid a double post, I watched that video (some of it anyway lol) Why do you need a can of coke!? I usually just carry some tootsie rolls in my pocket, and dextabs, and Airheads candy strips with my kit lol That totals like 100+g of carbs. I can fit everything i need with me for the entire day into a pencil case, that i just put in my bag or whatever I am usually always carrying anyway.

Sometimes i think people don't think through their choice of glucose, if you're out and get so low that you can't chew your glucose so you need to drink a coke (and can't make it to a shop to buy something), then you have some serious management issues and should re-think going out... Even, then there are more compact liquid glucose sources to pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some of the memes you find on google sum it up perfectly haha
78aNoBq.png

This deserves like triple LIKE button!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I eat what I want

simples :)

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I'm an 18year old who has had diabetes for 7years now and still to this day I get people that haven't got or ever dealt with anyone with diabetes telling me what i can and cant do and what i can and cant eat..It really grinds on me. I feel like turning round and telling them to get stuffed, luckily for them I'm too nice.

Does anyone else have this? Like a family member or Colleague at work tell them that they shouldn't have that little bit of chocolate or that one custard cream?!

Please tell me I'm not the only one?..

What I normally to say to anyone who says I shouldn't eat eat something is -

" Anyone who lives with diabetes will know that there are times when they will need sugar " I then normally wait. They normally go away and if they do respond with something stupid I just tell them to Google hypoglycaemia!

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)

I think one of the best I got was " If you eat chocolate will it kill you "

Reactions: 6 people

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ha ha, ****** the insulin, pass me that wagon wheel, ha ha!!!