Does anyone else feel nervous telling people they have diabetes?

Rachel_Shay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes almost 10 years ago now and I still feel nervous and slightly embarrassed to tell people. I don't know why, I guess I just hate the fuss that comes with it. Its as if everyone suddenly becomes my mum asking me if I should be eating chocolate or if I should be drinking alcohol. I think that one of the reasons I don't regularly take my insulin or test my blood sugars because I don't want to deal with the questions that come with it all. Today my nurse told me "your the doctor for my body" and as much as I want to take control of my health, I just don't know how to get over this little bump in the road because I know support from friends and family is really important, so any tips?

Reactions: 2 people

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My tip is to show them that you're in solid control of things so they feel more comfortable about it. If you don't have good control on things then you probably shouldn't be eating chocolate or drinking alcohol. In my experience, people say these sorts of things because they care about you and because they worry. Not because they want to upset you.

Of course, there are always going to be the people that will say something no matter what, but I try not to let those people bother me too much.

My mother (who I haven't lived with for 9 years) texts me every single time she gets an alert that my blood sugar is low (I have a Dexcom glucose monitor). If she doesn't hear from me within 5 minutes, she will call my girlfriend, and eventually call me even if I'm in a meeting for work. At first, it used to annoy me and I felt like I was being babied, but after a while I realized that it could be a lot worse: I could have a low, but no one in my life who cared about me.

If it becomes a problem, tell them how you feel, but respect their feelings too. They probably just want to know that you're safe and that you're okay.

S

Shar67

Even though there is the expression died of embarrassment, I don't think any has, but you can die from diabetic problems.
You know what you not doing is wrong and only you can fix that. Diabetes is part of you and you should try to be the best version of yourself but you also have to be kind to yourself.
There is lots of people on here that can guide and help you, you've taken the 1st step, don't stop, post, or pm but do please ask for the support
I will tag @daisy1 she will give you some I go re the site

Rachel_Shay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I gathered that, thanks that makes sense. I think I get upset because my levels are no where near under control and it's just a reminder that I can't always eat what I want because my levels are already high. But hopefully I'll be able to change that soon

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah, I gathered that, thanks that makes sense. I think I get upset because my levels are no where near under control and it's just a reminder that I can't always eat what I want because my levels are already high. But hopefully I'll be able to change that soon
Just remember that no one is telling you to avoid those things FOREVER, but it probably makes sense to avoid them for now.

The idea is to try not to make it harder on yourself. Get things under control with a healthy diet first, and when you do you can reward yourself every once. I find that's a pretty good long-term approach too as it's very easy to sustain and helps me avoid eating too much junk food.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes almost 10 years ago now and I still feel nervous and slightly embarrassed to tell people. I don't know why, I guess I just hate the fuss that comes with it. Its as if everyone suddenly becomes my mum asking me if I should be eating chocolate or if I should be drinking alcohol. I think that one of the reasons I don't regularly take my insulin or test my blood sugars because I don't want to deal with the questions that come with it all. Today my nurse told me "your the doctor for my body" and as much as I want to take control of my health, I just don't know how to get over this little bump in the road because I know support from friends and family is really important, so any tips?

Tips?
1/ Nervous? Feel the fear, and do it anyway.
2/ Sometimes you have to stick 2 fingers up at life and say..@#$* it!
3/ Questions? Educate the ill informed, you can sound like an expert for a while, and it feels good.
4/ Don't smoke in bed, it's a fire hazard.
5/ Your nurse is correct, you have to look after yourself, forever, or at least until you end up in a nursing home and people you don't know are caring for you ( if you're lucky), or they actually find a cure AND the NHS can afford it.
6/ Bananas are the food of the devil.
7/ keeping diabetes under control now, is statistically likely to improve your chances of avoiding diabetic complications later.
8/ Keep in contact with your diabetes team, they want to help you and most of them ain't doing it for the money.
9/ It's OK to eat bad food occasionally, to reward yourself for all the effort. Dark chocolate has less carbs in it.
10/ Don't take advice from strangers you meet on the internet. :)

Catch you later.

Reactions: 18 people

Beenie1

I know exactly what you mean and I get the high sugar thing, people seem to think they know about diabetes and will always offer in a comment - oh you can't eat that can you or so do you cant do this or that and it's frustrating. I used to either avoid checking my Blood sugar in public, cheeky nip to the loo, or avoid it all together and it becomes an embarrassing fact of your life!

Then bit by bit i decided to answer their comments and educate them, I would check my sugars in front of people and if they asked I would tell them bits of info until they too became more comfortable and understanding of it. There is still a little bit of stigma associated with it and I think we have to break that down. So take your time and when you are ready you can throw some facts back at them so they begin to understand too!

If you want chocolate - EAT IT!!! ( just make sure you inject haha! )

Reactions: 8 people

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was the same as you before I went to uni as I used to be bullied a little about having it ! But I told my closest friends at uni and in a nice way they really don't care, they understand I go low and act weird, and one of my friends I've known for a year now only the other day realised I was diabetic ! I don't think it's as obvious as you think it is ! Education is the key and be open with it, but be comfortable with yourself and other people will be comfortable

verdesca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
none. very easy going
I my early days I asked my Doctor could I eat whatever it was, don't remember. She replied, "You can eat whatever you like but remember there will always be consequences".

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, Rachel, just try to take little steps, be in control and with your head held high. You probably just want to be 'normal' like your friends and fear you wont fit in because you feel 'different', being in denial isn't going to help and you are doing yourself potential harm. It isn't easy at times, but please get back on track, you have all your life in front of you and life is for living. Often it's the unknown that can be the scariest, remember, there is nothing to be ashamed of.
Sending you a virtual (((((((( HUG)))))))))) take good care and I hope the next path you take with be a more positive and a happier one.
RRBx

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Excellent comments from @urbanracer. The other one is "where did you get your medical degree from?" And my all time favourite "f@@@ off"
You have got nothing to be nervous about because the worst has happened- you have diabetes. No one would expect a wheelchair user or hearing aid wearer to be embarrassed or nervous.
If there is any embarrassment it certainly isn't yours. Balls to them. You do what you need to to keep yourself safe.

Reactions: 6 people

Rachel_Shay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You guys have been brilliant, thank you. I told some of my uni friends today and answered all they're questions, you're right; educating people is important

Reactions: 4 people

Rachel_Shay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, Rachel, just try to take little steps, be in control and with your head held high. You probably just want to be 'normal' like your friends and fear you wont fit in because you feel 'different', being in denial isn't going to help and you are doing yourself potential harm. It isn't easy at times, but please get back on track, you have all your life in front of you and life is for living. Often it's the unknown that can be the scariest, remember, there is nothing to be ashamed of.
Sending you a virtual (((((((( HUG)))))))))) take good care and I hope the next path you take with be a more positive and a happier one.
RRBx
Thank you so much, the support from this forum is incredible. I came to the conclusion today that being normal is boring anyway :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thank you so much, the support from this forum is incredible. I came to the conclusion today that being normal is boring anyway :)

Two quotes for you :-
Normal people worry me and I'm not weird, I'm gifted :D
Take care :)

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
I can relate to your feelings. I am now in a studentclub with some really nice people, but it feels a bit odd talking about people you barely know about diabetes. It just that you don't want to be the odd person or want to be judged. On the other hand, people don't mind that much in reality about it. A friend of mine once told me about their disability, but after he told it to me I never thought about it again or felt the need to say something about his disease, as he is a nice friend and like him the way he is, so I guess people will feel the same about any other disease. After all it is your life and you decide what you do or not do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My new job has me travelling all over the country.
I had a huge decision to make,
Either,

A, don't take the job and carry on with the job which was not very exciting, cook everything myself.

B, take the job, and ask every place I eat wether their food is good for me.
So far I have had so much help when I ask and they show you the different allergy differences. I have been spoiled, at every place I've been.
The worst is motorway services. Fast food outlets! Shocking!

If you don't ask, you don't get!