Does anyone else have the same prob??

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Ok, my insulin is kept at room temp, so it's warm before being drawn up into my animas cartridges. So I draw it up and pound the hell out of the cartridge as my left hand has no fingers and what should be a palm is, how can I put it, not meaning to be being to be upsetting or nasty ( my palm is fused together in one mass of bone, means I have a nasty left hook ;-) ). But no matter how I get the air bubbles out on some set changes I have noticed air bubbles in the cartridge. Any ideas how I can stop these bubbles as I'm at at a loss so much so I've drawn my cartridge up tonight rather than tomorrow for my set change on Friday.

Platinum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have an Accu-Chek Combo and have a similar problem. When I do a cartridge change, I get rid of all the bubbles, but by the next morning the cartridge has become a spirit level.

The way I get round this for the first night is to fit the pump upside down (Using the elastic strap that came with the pump) so that any bubbles cannot get through as they float to the plunger end of the cartridge, then prime again the next morning to get rid of the spirit level bubble. It is then bubble-free until the next change.
It beats me where the bubbles come from, as I am SURE there are none after the initial change.

iHs

I have an Accu-Chek Combo and have a similar problem. When I do a cartridge change, I get rid of all the bubbles, but by the next morning the cartridge has become a spirit level.

The way I get round this for the first night is to fit the pump upside down (Using the elastic strap that came with the pump) so that any bubbles cannot get through as they float to the plunger end of the cartridge, then prime again the next morning to get rid of the spirit level bubble. It is then bubble-free until the next change.
It beats me where the bubbles come from, as I am SURE there are none after the initial change.

Try following my advice about filling the cartridges on this thread http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/when-changing-cartridge.52852/#post-480981

If you get the bubble out before you put cartridge in pump then that should help but if next day a bubble appears at the top like spirit level, then have a go next time at leaving a gap underneath the cartridge where it meets the top of the piston in the pump (about a 20u gap) then that will sort out the spirit level bubble and you shouldnt get it anymore. Yes, there will be an incorrect amount of insulin showing up on the pump screen because of the gap created, but as long as you keep an eye on the insulin level by looking at the markings on the cartridge itself and take it out when the last black marking has been reached, then you'll be fine.

iHs

Ok, my insulin is kept at room temp, so it's warm before being drawn up into my animas cartridges. So I draw it up and pound the hell out of the cartridge as my left hand has no fingers and what should be a palm is, how can I put it, not meaning to be being to be upsetting or nasty ( my palm is fused together in one mass of bone, means I have a nasty left hook ;-) ). But no matter how I get the air bubbles out on some set changes I have noticed air bubbles in the cartridge. Any ideas how I can stop these bubbles as I'm at at a loss so much so I've drawn my cartridge up tonight rather than tomorrow for my set change on Friday.

Insulin pumps get warm inside because of the motor powered by the battery so get the cartridges up to body temp for a few hours
and then try following http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/when-changing-cartridge.52852/#post-480981.

You should be able to attach the tube directly to the cartridge without any adaptor being used so with that in mind, just use the turquoise plunger to push the bubble up into the tube and then put the cartridge with tube attached in the pump and activate the prime mode in order to make the piston move upwards to push the insulin along. You will probably only need to prime about 10u as you will have already manually primed the tube before you put the cartridge in the pump. If you dont fancy doing that, then you can just push the bubble up through the disposable needle that Animas supply.