Does anyone else here eat pumpernickel bread?

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Apart from the false advertising (it contains neither pumpkin or nickel) I'm getting quite fond of the stuff. This dense whole rye bread seems to be pretty good at not spiking my blood sugar levels (provided that I eat it in moderation of course).

Going by the info on the package though, it's not particularly low carb, about 36g to 37g per 100g for the stuff I buy. Normal bread is about 45 to 50g per 100g, so it's lowish in carbs but really all that low..

Regardless though, it's very dense and very filling and it doesn't seem to spike my glucose levels. I usually eat it with plenty of butter so that probably helps. Just wondering if anyone else here eats this bread and finds it reasonably agreeable with their BGL control.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Apart from the false advertising (it contains neither pumpkin or nickel) I'm getting quite fond of the stuff. This dense whole rye bread seems to be pretty good at not spiking my blood sugar levels (provided that I eat it in moderation of course).

Going by the info on the package though, it's not particularly low carb, about 36g to 37g per 100g for the stuff I buy. Normal bread is about 45 to 50g per 100g, so it's lowish in carbs but really all that low..

Regardless though, it's very dense and very filling and it doesn't seem to spike my glucose levels. I usually eat it with plenty of butter so that probably helps. Just wondering if anyone else here eats this bread and finds it reasonably agreeable with their BGL control.

If you like it and it doesn't make you spike, then what's the problem?

If you eat it in moderation, you just have to keep testing!

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
If you like it and it doesn't make you spike, then what's the problem?
No problem Nosher. :) Just wondering if other people tolerate this particular style of bread fairly well or if my results are somewhat of an anomaly.

1 slice is 15g.
One thing that I've learnt is that not all carbs are created equal, at least in terms their effect on my BGLs. Some carb counts include forms of resistant starch and soluble fibre (not to be confused with insoluble fibre which isn't counted as carb on the nutrition labels in UK or Australia), and which are still ultimately metabolised for energy, but in a far different way to simple starches and sugars.

Last edited:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The carb figure of 15g a slice sounds about right.

Rye Breads are low on the glycemic index which may explain why it doesn't spike you @uart, I quite like some Rye Breads but some are quite heavy and overpowering.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I was advised on one of my visits to my endocrinologist, who suggested rye bread, only half a slice with my evening meal, he suggested other supposedly healthy breads, if I didn't like rye! I can just get away with eating Bergen, a slice is just on my top limit, so I toast it and only eat half of it as a change from my usual (unusual) first meal. If I'm not fasting. Or if I'm not cooking breakfast.
I've tried the lidl protein rolls, again, half is my top limit!
They are scrumptious!
But Bergen is not sold now in co-op or Iceland. So I have to wait to get to my nearest asda.
But as I said before keep testing as you never know when things in your body change or the manufacturer improves the recipe;):banghead:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
By toasting your bread you are losing b vitamins.

You are just trying to make my day worse than it actually is!:(

I don't have deficiencies in any of my blood count!
So it hasn't had that effect on me.

It is tastier toasted!:):angelic:

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
pumpernickel bread is the only bread I used to eat I love it with Marmite and coconut butter
but now I make my own low carb Tortillas with about 1/2 the carbs.