Type 2 Does anyone have any experience on metformin?

jul34

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm in a similar boat. Diagnosed pre-diabetic 10 years ago (though they either didn't make a big deal of it, or I ignored and forgot about it) and properly diabetic so in the last few weeks. I have the prescription for Metformin sitting here, unfilled. I looked at the side effects, and decided it was a last resort for me, so I tried going low carb. With the 1Ac level as a guideline, my average blood sugar over the last 3 months has been around 12. I've halved that by simply going low carb, and if it halves my 1Ac, I'll be well into the non-diabetic figures through diet alone, the next time they test me.

If I could do one thing differently, I'd have stuck on my lousy diet for a few more days to get a bit more data on it, but over the two days of carby stuff with the meter, I was pulling figures of up to 12.5 after eating bread (still way down from an overall average of 12. I had cut out chocolate.) Since going low carb, I haven't read over 7.5 (except for one 7.6, which was taken too soon after eating.)

Buy a test meter, go low carb, and see if you can keep most of your readings down to (or at least close to) pre-diabetic levels. Morning fasting levels can be high, but if you're showing pre-diabetic or lower readings 2 hours after food, then you've got this. Without drugs and their nasty side-effects.

jul34

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you all so much for your support. I am now in my second week of low carb eating and it is not as hard as I thought it was going to be. I did go back to the diabetic nurse for my results (53 blood glucose) so I'm gonna keep on the diet and get tested again in December ( My goal is to get to 48 by then???) hopefully the diet will make a difference. (I've never eaten so many eggs and courgettes in my life!) I've also started walking 3 miles a day, so fingers crossed I should see some results by December. I have totally rejected the metformin for now, I'd rather never have chocolate again than take medication, and I luuurve chocolate!

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all so much for your support. I am now in my second week of low carb eating and it is not as hard as I thought it was going to be. I did go back to the diabetic nurse for my results (53 blood glucose) so I'm gonna keep on the diet and get tested again in December ( My goal is to get to 48 by then???) hopefully the diet will make a difference. (I've never eaten so many eggs and courgettes in my life!) I've also started walking 3 miles a day, so fingers crossed I should see some results by December. I have totally rejected the metformin for now, I'd rather never have chocolate again than take medication, and I luuurve chocolate!
I'm not sure I could be bothered with walking, but I'm loving my e-bike. I've racked up over 300 miles on it since June (I actually bought it pre-diagnosis.) I get to ride it down roads that I've done a thousand times in a car, and notice stuff at 10mph that you just don't spot at 50. Motor assist off on the flat, and engage it when hills get a bit tricky. Since it doesn't have gears, you need the motor sometimes. Though at some point, I'm going to resurrect my non-electric mountain bike, and see if I can make similar journeys on that.

I've read about dark chocolate being a good low-carb treat. Might be worth a look. Eggs are great. Experimentation can be good fun. Three batches of 'naked Scotch eggs' so far. Cauliflower rice kedgeree beckons at some point.

Toby789

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hiya,
I’m new here. I was diagnosed pre diabetic a couple of years ago but I’ve been in total denial. Today I had my blood work results back from the doctors and he is insisting I start on 500mg of slow release metformin immediately. It felt a bit like he was a drug pusher, warning me of being on dialysis and all sorts. I am terrified of the side effects and the thought of being on medication for the rest of my life.
Can anyone please give me some advice, as I really don’t want to take it. my symptoms are pretty mild, just dry calloused feet and a big belly. I’ve been exercising everyday since the lock down, have not lost an iota of weight, or the belly
Should I try a low carb/ Keto diet for 3 months and see if it will do the trick before I start chugging metformin? My brother who is also type 2 was put on them and he had such bad side effects he stopped. Please help, thanks
I am not sure I understand why people react so strongly about Metformin. It is a true wonder drug and has made life for diabetics so much easier - most of us are too young to remember how hard it was earlier this century - we just died early and painfully instead.

It worked amazingly on me and I do regret that when my genetic testing came back my type is so rare and odd that Metformin may cause lactic acidosis and so I had to stop taking it. So now I am having to live basically as an insulin dependent T1 and learning all over again what works with what! So yes it has the potential to cause very dangerous side effects for me but I still regret being advised not to use it.

So all I would say is try not to think of it as drug pushing (that is a very unhelpful and actually somewhat insulting analogy to those of us who use it) and think about what life would be like for us if it didn't exist - there was a time when that was the case and it was not pleasant for us at all. You are right that diet is very important for all DMs but sometimes diet just isn't enough and drugs can help. It may be that after a while your medical advisers may advise you that you can stop using it, but decisional paralysis because someone else had a side effect is a risky path to take.

IDominguez

Hiya,
I’m new here. I was diagnosed pre diabetic a couple of years ago but I’ve been in total denial. Today I had my blood work results back from the doctors and he is insisting I start on 500mg of slow release metformin immediately. It felt a bit like he was a drug pusher, warning me of being on dialysis and all sorts. I am terrified of the side effects and the thought of being on medication for the rest of my life.
Can anyone please give me some advice, as I really don’t want to take it. my symptoms are pretty mild, just dry calloused feet and a big belly. I’ve been exercising everyday since the lock down, have not lost an iota of weight, or the belly
Should I try a low carb/ Keto diet for 3 months and see if it will do the trick before I start chugging metformin? My brother who is also type 2 was put on them and he had such bad side effects he stopped. Please help, thanks

Hi.
I'm a diabetic type 2 since 2007. I've been on metfomin for a long time up until a few years ago. I pretty much felt the same way about my doctor. So I decided to take matters into my own hands. Decided to not listen to my doctor and control my sugar naturally. Not saying you shouldn't listen to your doctor. Keto along with IF changed my life for the better.
In your case being pre diabetic, you shouldn't even be on medication. Personal opinion. I agree with what most are replying, a low card diet. Simply changing your diet can save you a life of headaches by avoiding diabetes. Definately do recommend the keto diet. Cut your cards and sugar, you'll see a big difference.