Does anyone know any type 1's running the marathon today ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I really can't help but feel inspired watching the London marathon today, so curious to see how many type 1's are running it.

I would love to start running and hope one day to do this.

Reactions: 4 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well there's Shawn Forrest for one he is Type1 and will be lining up in the elite section.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I really can't help but feel inspired watching the London marathon today, so curious to see how many type 1's are running it.

I missed it today, good luck with the running if you decide to start.

Reactions: 2 people

Helss

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My brother-in-law is a Type 1 and although he hasn't run London, he's done plenty of other marathons and half marathons.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

The runners are truly inspiring and raising money for such good causes, a quick google search and there's a couple of story's about type 1's running the marathon this year, here is one:

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/ne...won___t_stop_me_from_running_London_Marathon/

I can't run and have never enjoyed it tbh, even at school always hated Cross Country Running in PE, much prefer a nice long walk or cycle ride.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you want to do it then start running now but also start applying for the London Marathon now.(unless you know you can raise a couple of thousand pounds and so get a charity place)
I decided to do it almost straight after I was diagnosed; just to show that T1 wasn't going to stop me doing anything (I was already in my 50s) I ran my first marathon just over a year after diagnosis but it took me 6 years to get into the London Marathon, and I don't think they give automatic entry after 5 failures to get in any more . I'm glad I did it, just to say I that I did it and it was fun to have my grandchildren shouting 'come on granny. But it actually wasn't my favourite marathon and was the last one I did. (maybe because most of the running I do is by myself in the middle of no-where, crowds and filthy streets for 26 miles weren't so enjoyable .Probably it was I'd done what I set out to do and then decided that I enjoyed shorter distances and walking even better )

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good luck with your running, @Juicyj :D I can't even run. When we had to do cross country at school; I'd take a short cut to the end and smoke a fag whilst waiting for everyone to finish :oops:

I was always last even with the shortcut on cross country, hated it with a vengeance :(. I cycle now but really want to run, am going to take up the couch to 5km and see how that goes first !

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am not a runner at all but over the last two years I have completed the Moon Walk which was a 26.2 mile walk through the night followed by a 50k walk along the Thames Footpath in aid of Diabetes.
My advice would be go for it. X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I am type 1 and have been for 25 years. There is no doubt that exercise is key to good diabetes control. I have been a runner most of my adult life and I still compete and manage to finish at or near the top of my age class (over 55!). My advice would be to forget about marathons and go for shorter runs (5k to half marathon) as they are challenging enough without putting too much stain on your body. The training can only do you good, its a great way to meet other people and it adds a new dimension and interest to getting the best possible control.
With practise everything is possible. I have learnt to test blood sugar without slowing down and do all the necessary to maintain good levels during a run.
Go for it and good luck!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for your post @strickensocken - that's great advice. How do you manage you insulin requirements when running, do you reduce by a third and then take glucose as and when you need it ?

brightonbanks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Juicyj. I ran the Brighton marathon last week. It was my first one [and possibly my last] and I came in at just under 4h 30m, which as I'm 45 and 14 stone is pretty good. As long as you follow a proper training routine and pay close attention to how your blood glucose levels respond as you do longer runs then you can manage it. I ran with a pack of lucozade on my back and sipped it all the way and ended up with perfect glucose levels at the end of it. Work up to it and it should not be a problem at all.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For years I've tried to find out about other type one diabetics who've run marathons.Diabetes UK said they couldn't give any information due to data protection.I didn't want everyone's name and address just an idea of how many people with my condition have run a full marathon.Altogether I've run 8,the first one at Blackburn in 1984 which was very hard and hilly,the second at Bolton 1985(The Adidas British marathon)which seemed easy after the previous one then over the years 6 Londons,last one I did was 2000,the millenium one,but since have had further health problems which ended my jogging.I've never won one and have always found it hard,but have always finished,best time being around 4hr10min,I have been diabetic since 1964 aged 4.years old have trained all my life,had my own gym and boxing club for 20 years and have been fit,Hba1's always good all my life

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@brightonbanks Well done, that's a brilliant achievement, I guess it is easier to manage insulin/glucose levels once you know your body's requirements and can then just top up with glucose as you go, just have worried about hypos rather than hypers in training.

@Ralphand_pants I do hope that by exercising more I can improve my HbA1c, great to hear from someone who has done 8 marathons, that's incredible :)

Hopefully more will see this post as hearing these is very inspiring.

running_sweet

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Consistancy is king, I have ran a few marathons before being diagnosed and know that anyone that keeps going week after week, month after month with marginal gains does a lot better than someone that goes in all guns blazing and fails fast.

I'm heading to the Great Ocean Marathon in May from Lorne to Appollo Bay over 44Km. I think I will struggle to have the confidence to be as quick as normal. However, still hoping for a good show.

Alistair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your post @strickensocken - that's great advice. How do you manage you insulin requirements when running, do you reduce by a third and then take glucose as and when you need it ?
Great to see you are interested!
It all depends very much on the time of day for the event. When it is relatively early in the morning I would normally reduce my basal insulin by about 50% (I use an insulin pump) and have a small snack shortly before the run. This usually sees me through the run but with a half marathon I may need a further shot of glucose before the end. With runs up to 10k I normally remove the pump, have a snack and then run. I try to ensure that any mealtime insulin is as far behind me as possible (5 or more hours). It is not an exact science but with a little care and erring on the side of caution everything is possible.
When training, the most difficult times to run are when there is still mealtime insulin in the system. The more active insulin the more you have to snack - you get used to this with experience. When I used to use an insulin pen I tried to run first thing in the morning, directly before lunch or as late as possible in the evening before my meal. I ALWAYS run with a packet of glucose in my shorts or tracksuit pocket.
I have also recently been using the Freestyle Libre measuring device. This is generally OK for running but I have been caught out a couple of times when blood sugar is changing very fast. At the end of one run the Freestyle gave me a measurement of 12.2, whilst a blood test gave 3.8! This is such a big difference as to make the Freestyle useless in these circumstances so a blood test is still the best way to measure. (I use the Accu-Chek Mobile for running as there is not need to mess about with strips and the cassette has multiple tests.)
Feel free to ask for any specific tips I can give you based on my experiences!

The Village

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Strickensocken - If you run first thing in the morning do you have a large breakfast before any exercise? I find exercise for me better in the afternoon after lunch. I am type 2 on Insulin and use my own treadmill but I usually walk on it (fast) If I went on the treadmill after breakfast I would go low. I eat 2 wetabix for breakfast.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Strickensocken - If you run first thing in the morning do you have a large breakfast before any exercise? I find exercise for me better in the afternoon after lunch. I am type 2 on Insulin and use my own treadmill but I usually walk on it (fast) If I went on the treadmill after breakfast I would go low. I eat 2 wetabix for breakfast.
I run without any breakfast. I sometimes have a biscuit of small snack just to bump up my BG a bit if necessary. I find I can get up and do a good long training run and keep pretty constant blood glucose. I just carry a snack and a testing meter.