Type 1 Does anyone use Humulin S for low carb meals?

Tiredt1Mom

Hello,
Feeling nervous.
Currently eating low carb and trying to get 'Regular' insulin.
Finally been allowed to try HumulinS, have been told Actrapid is not suitable for children?
Currently using multiple doses of Novorapid to cover the later protein rise.
I've read 3 different places that Humulin S will last anywhere between 3 to 6 hours. What is your experience?
Am anticipating a higher dose of Humulin S will be needed.
Currently use 1u of Novorapid preprandial, then 1u at around 1.5hours, then a final 1 or 0.5u at 2.5-3ish hours.
Any other tips? We have a CGM.

Thank you.

D

Deleted Account

If you need to spread your injections out so much, my advice would be to try to get an insulin pump.
This could use the Novorapid and you can configure it to spread the dosage over a longer period.

Thankfully, when I injected, I only had to spread my bolus when I ate high carb meals so cannot advise what to do with HumulnS.

Tiredt1Mom

If you need to spread your injections out so much, my advice would be to try to get an insulin pump.
This could use the Novorapid and you can configure it to spread the dosage over a longer period.

Thankfully, when I injected, I only had to spread my bolus when I ate high carb meals so cannot advise what to do with HumulnS.
Thanks for your reply. Yep I shouldve mentioned initially that a pump is out of the question currently.
People use 'Regular' (USA), short acting (UK) insulin to cover low carb/high protein meals. So I wondered about their experiences using Humulin S?
Thanks

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your reply. Yep I shouldve mentioned initially that a pump is out of the question currently.
People use 'Regular' (USA), short acting (UK) insulin to cover low carb/high protein meals. So I wondered about their experiences using Humulin S?
Thanks

I have regular insulin but in a pump. I've never heard its not suitable for children.

As long as there's some carbs with the meal, the protein can usually be ignored, so if you're seeing a rise some hours later could it be a basal issue?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
Feeling nervous.
Currently eating low carb and trying to get 'Regular' insulin.
Finally been allowed to try HumulinS, have been told Actrapid is not suitable for children?
Currently using multiple doses of Novorapid to cover the later protein rise.
I've read 3 different places that Humulin S will last anywhere between 3 to 6 hours. What is your experience?
Am anticipating a higher dose of Humulin S will be needed.
Currently use 1u of Novorapid preprandial, then 1u at around 1.5hours, then a final 1 or 0.5u at 2.5-3ish hours.
Any other tips? We have a CGM.

Thank you.
I find my doses to only last about 2 hours. Wherever I am then I'm not coming down. I use humalog. Is that the same as humulonS?
I eat vlc by choice and of course I bolus for protein.
In the morning I take one unit 20 min before a wedge of avocado and like you, I need 1/2-1 unit and hour or hour and a half later. I eat 4 small meals throughout the day and usually 1/2 unit with them. I do not eat large amounts of animal / fish protein. I keep it to .8 g per kg so for me about 40g protein. 4 oz animal/ fish then some in avocado, nuts, seeds and an oz of cheese. If I eat fatty protein like a burger or fatty steak I would have to bolus again. For me eating smaller meals and small boluses work for my stomach. They are much like a snack.
I take one unit of lantus at night and it is clearLy gone in the morning. So with no background insulin i need to take a small dose of humalog every 2.5-3 hours or a rise. So I just eat a bit to keep me steady or I'd drop.
I eat a wedge of avocado for bf then make a regular sized lunch but eat off it two or three times. Usually a big bite with my second am dose, then some at noon and three. 5:30 is a piece of cheese and wine then dinner 6:30-7.

So to answer your question, I don't think humalog lasts more than 2.5 hours especially at 1/2 unit doses. And if I take the whole dose at once I just drop and then spike. Of course I am doing more sticks this way but it works for me

Tiredt1Mom

I find my doses to only last about 2 hours. Wherever I am then I'm not coming down. I use humalog. Is that the same as humulonS?
I eat vlc by choice and of course I bolus for protein.
In the morning I take one unit 20 min before a wedge of avocado and like you, I need 1/2-1 unit and hour or hour and a half later. I eat 4 small meals throughout the day and usually 1/2 unit with them. I do not eat large amounts of animal / fish protein. I keep it to .8 g per kg so for me about 40g protein. 4 oz animal/ fish then some in avocado, nuts, seeds and an oz of cheese. If I eat fatty protein like a burger or fatty steak I would have to bolus again. For me eating smaller meals and small boluses work for my stomach. They are much like a snack.
I take one unit of lantus at night and it is clearLy gone in the morning. So with no background insulin i need to take a small dose of humalog every 2.5-3 hours or a rise. So I just eat a bit to keep me steady or I'd drop.
I eat a wedge of avocado for bf then make a regular sized lunch but eat off it two or three times. Usually a big bite with my second am dose, then some at noon and three. 5:30 is a piece of cheese and wine then dinner 6:30-7.

So to answer your question, I don't think humalog lasts more than 2.5 hours especially at 1/2 unit doses. And if I take the whole dose at once I just drop and then spike. Of course I am doing more sticks this way but it works for me
Thanks for your reply. I think Humulog and Humulin S are different though. Humulin S is a 'short' acting insulin and has a longer profile than Novorapid, and is meant to match low carb food better than 'rapid'insulins. Although if you don't eat much protein, then you might not need the 'short' insulin?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply. I think Humulog and Humulin S are different though. Humulin S is a 'short' acting insulin and has a longer profile than Novorapid, and is meant to match low carb food better than 'rapid'insulins. Although if you don't eat much protein, then you might not need the 'short' insulin?
I need insulin for all food. Except a few nuts and bite of avocado.

Sorry, I thought they were the same.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Reactions: azure

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you trying to "low carb" without the "high fat" bit? I expect you have increased your protein to make up for not having the carbs instead of adding fat. Most of your energy should be coming from fat when doing low carb.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you trying to "low carb" without the "high fat" bit? I expect you have increased your protein to make up for not having the carbs instead of adding fat. Most of your energy should be coming from fat when doing low carb.

The OP is talking about a child, I believe. A child's nutritional needs are different to an adult's.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
While low carbing protein turns to glucose fast via gluconeogenisis so this could be causing the rise. I didn't see the OP saying she was low fat?

Best for me is 80% healthy fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs.
Protein raises me just as fast as carbs.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The OP is talking about a child, I believe. A child's nutritional needs are different to an adult's.

There are now many children eating low carb high fat without issue, the protein level should be what is recommended for someone of that age, not increased to make up for not having carbs. Likewise, the protein should not be as low as some adults doing LCHG, children do need more protein per KG of body weight than adults, but the protein need does not increase due to reducing the carbs provided there is enough fat.

The body converts excess protein into glucose but uses what is needed for growth in preference to converting it to glucose provided there is enough energy in the diet. Hence there should be some protein at each meal and enough total cals.

(It could be as simple as using full-fat cuts of meats instead of trimming all the fat off before cooking. Along with a handful of nuts as a snack.)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There are now many children eating low carb high fat without issue, the protein level should be what is recommended for someone of that age, not increased to make up for not having carbs. Likewise, the protein should not be as low as some adults doing LCHG, children do need more protein per KG of body weight than adults, but the protein need does not increase due to reducing the carbs provided there is enough fat.

The body converts excess protein into glucose but uses what is needed for growth in preference to converting it to glucose provided there is enough energy in the diet. Hence there should be some protein at each meal and enough total cals.

Protein is often incresed in children if needed whereas it doesn't have to be for adults. All children should follow the advice of a dietician and be monitored appropriately whatever diet they choose.

I'm not quite sure why you're telling me that children can eat LCHF. I replied to you because your reply to the OP read as assuming she, the adult, was the low carb Type 1.

This thread is about the use of Humulin/regular insulin for a Type 1 child not dietary choices.