Does EMS (electrical muscle stimulation) reduce numbers?

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So amongst all my other health issues I have a dodgy knee and in my efforts to stave off a knee replacement I am trying to build up my quads to reduce pressure on my knees.

I am using a professional TENS machine which also has an EMS function and it seems to have reduced my numbers.

My type 2 is not the best controlled with my last HBA1C coming in at circa 50. Like other people my morning reading is the highest coming in at about 8 or 9 due to DP and I have never managed to reduce it.

All of a sudden it is down to 5 on a lot of mornings and other numbers have dropped as well.

The only thing that has changed is using EMS for 40 minutes each day on a high setting.

Has putting electrical impulses through my muscles had a beneficial effect on my sugar levels as this is not marginal it is drastic?

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
The machine is making your muscles work, when muscles work they use glucose so it seems Using it is having the same effect as exercise. Your meter reading don't lie, looks like a happy coincidence to me

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
have you also had possible knee pain reduction too. Reducing certain levels of stress?

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
have you also had possible knee pain reduction too. Reducing certain levels of stress?

Havent noticed a reduction in pain but am able to walk easier as I guess the quads are doing a bit of the carrying, well a bit more than they were anyway.

Whilst I understand the release of glucose, due to exercise, I cannot understand the drastic i.e., between 3 and 4 reduction in morning numbers? It is not every day, but at least 60% of the time.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Havent noticed a reduction in pain but am able to walk easier as I guess the quads are doing a bit of the carrying, well a bit more than they were anyway.

Whilst I understand the release of glucose, due to exercise, I cannot understand the drastic i.e., between 3 and 4 reduction in morning numbers? It is not every day, but at least 60% of the time.

Well I'm T1 using insulin.
What I know in my case of a "school day." I can get up with lovely numbers & somewhere during my morning routine prepping for work with "nill by mouth, (don't do breakfast.) I can scoot up 3 or 4mmol?
Alcohol the night before or possibly just being a day off? Nothing.

It's a fair question you ask regarding the EMS use as a possible variable.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that my social calendar is re starting I have checked my BG just a few times and it is usually lower than I expected - but these days I am once again playing for dancing, and I used to dance.
Watching a recording of one dance done recently it is very noticeable that I am moving all the time I am playing, jigging up and down, sitting or standing. So much movement of the muscles must make a difference.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is interesting. I am wondering if using a Tens machine would help me on the days when I can't exercise.
Thanks for starting this thread. It's something I never would have thought of but it seems ike a logical answer to help me during my lethargic days.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is interesting. I am wondering if using a Tens machine would help me on the days when I can't exercise.
Thanks for starting this thread. It's something I never would have thought of but it seems ike a logical answer to help me during my lethargic days.
There are also YouTube videos on chair exercises, which I am finding helpful. I will notice if they help my blood sugar levels. I didn't check, as I assumed they were too gentle to help, but if they do then that is good news

Thanks for bringing this point up @jim1951

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just for clarity to everybody, you need a TENS machine that also delivers EMS.

I have the EMS set to a number that makes my quad muscles constrict and contract for 10 secs on and 10 secs off, continually for 40 mins. It is interesting watching the quad muscle behave like this and I find it quite stimulating! The higher the number probably the higher the benefit.

I am glad it is of interest to people.

Reactions: lucylocket61