Does erythritol give "sweets cravings"?

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I am at the point where I don't crave sugar and breads any more, and I am liking it immensely. Now I see all these marvelously delicious recipes, and they're all using erythritol (sp?). From https://getcuros(dot)com/erythritol...of-this-common-sugar(hyphen)substitute(slash) (I am hoping I've disabled this link as a live link in case I am not yet allowed to post a link.) Edit: Mods, please please forgive me! It does not kill the link!!!! I don't know how to do that without multiple edits, which practise is discouraged. Catch 22....

"While erythritol does not affect insulin or glucose levels, it might actually cause you to gain weight. Erythritol does not raise satiety hormones like Glucagon-like peptide (GLP-1), and peptide YY (PYY). But what does that actually mean? Those hormones signal your brain when you’ve had enough to eat and sugar usually triggers their production. Erythritol doesn’t trigger that production so these hormones never provide the “full” signal you normally expect. Consuming large quantities of erythritol can cause weight gain because those signals are disrupted and it becomes more difficult to regulate your food intake."

So-- will my "sweets crave" come back? I'm not in any danger of eating too much of this stuff in one day, because even one stick of chewing gum gives me gas; haven't chewed gum in decades because of that. Every thought welcome!!!!! And thanks in advance :D chris

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Ok, it's a live link to "this site can't be reached", but you all know I'm trying to give proper credit!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Would imagine this one is individual but bear in mind that most puds made with eyrithritol by most doing keto tend to be fairly high fat and protein with almond flour, butter etc and so tend to be filling and I find I can’t eat big portions. But do hear that some people struggle if they had probs with sugar addiction before. I find this way of eating more enjoyable with some small puddings probably why still happily sticking to keto more than a year later and maintaining low bgs and low weight. But you need to decide what is best for you.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The first rule I made when diagnosed was "don't eat anything that's actually sweet" So desserts, cakes, biscuits etc. I found that a lot easier than moderation. I think if I made things with sweeteners I might be tempted to try the real thing, so I stick to my simple rule and don't have sweeteners either.

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you @shelley262 ! That is exactly the type of answer I'm hoping I'll get more of. How it works for the individual answering. Yes, I'll do my goodies up right with the butter and almond flour and all, so maybe "a few grains a day of erythetc" will not mess with me. I believe I'd have to avoid sweetening my daily coffee though: that can lead downslope very very slipperily, I bet.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Ah yes, @Mr_Pot , I'm leery of that too. I am one of those "make my own mistakes thankyouverymuchforallowing me" people, so I may just have to give it a try. I know I read somewhere that artificial sweeteners in general can make you continue to crave sweet. We'll see I guess. Thanks for answering!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree its probably a personal thing
For me it doesnt set off any cravings for sweet stuff, but then again I never had those prior to diagnosis either - my cravings were all focused on cheese and savoury foods ( not necessarily together)

Reactions: Debra67

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ahh yes, thank you @Boo1979 ! Some years ago I gave up casein, when I found I was addicted to milk after a trip on which I hadn't had any for 10 days. I craved it then, but these days I can do that thing where you eat about a thousand calories of "good for you" food like cheese, to "eat around" the fact that you really want sugar/chocolate-- and then you go ahead and have the chocolate anyway! Now that I haven't had much sugar at all in 3 months, the sugar craving is gone. Second time in my life this phenomenon has happened with sugar.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Some people do have an insulin response to artificial sweeteners. The reasons I do not use them (any of them even the so called natural alternatives to sugar) are that I beleive that changing one's palate to begin with so as to beat cravings is better than salving those cravings with an alternative and because I remain unconvinced about the long term effects on the gut biome.

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Guzzler that is a very very good point about the gut biome! I really appreciate your comment; hadn’t even thought that far.

Reactions: Guzzler

Hotpepper20000

I find that the thing with artificial sweeteners or even low carb cakes and such make it difficult to control portions. I don’t think it’s physical for me,more mental.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
@Guzzler that is a very very good point about the gut biome! I really appreciate your comment; hadn’t even thought that far.

I have nothing concrete with which to base my concerns except to point out that additives of which sugar substitutes are classed are not as rigorously tested as foodstuffs and are labelled 'GRAS' which is Generally Regarded As Safe by the FDA. It was an an easy decision for me to avoid all sweeteners as I do not have a sweet tooth. Some experts say that these substitutes are better and far less harmful than sugar but others admit that they themselves would not use them. It seems that the jury is still out.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Erythritol is just about the only sweetener that I DON’T have problems with.

However, my experience of LCbaking is interesting, irrespective of the sweeteners used. They are just not something that works for me more than once in a blue moon.

Heavy
Claggy
Too much nut flour

Nowadays I would consider them v rare,indulgent meal replacements.
My husband would eat them daily though.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found using erythritol and stevia stopped me wanting "real" sugar. When I first started low carbing I didn't actually get any sugar or other carby cravings as such. Initially I was inclined not to use alternative sweeteners but I do have a sweet tooth,so eventually felt that since I'd be low carbing long term there might be some place in my diet for them, particularly in baking.

Very early on I had a few very mild false hypos where I did genuinely want real sugar rather than any sweet alternatives - my body seems able to distinguish between them, so I'm happy to carry on using them. And I no longer care very much for the taste of the genuine article....:yuck:

Robbity

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the craving is just for the sweet taste not what makes it sweet. Erythritol is sweet so could make you crave more sweet stuff

Canicant

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the craving is just for the sweet taste not what makes it sweet. Erythritol is sweet so could make you crave more sweet stuff

I use sweeteners and haven't had a problem with wanting actual sugars or extra carbs.
For me Erythritol makes unpalatable foods acceptable, i hate the taste of any form of unsweetened yoghurt, tea or coffee.
With sweetener i can enjoy the occasional carrot cake, baked cheesecake and lemon meringue.
LCHF is a life style change one that requires you to do a full turn around on foods that we were told were not healthy in the past, so far from feeling afraid of Erythritol i embrace it (it helped reverse my diabetes and lose 5.5 stone)

Rob.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Canicant the more personal experience I hear, the better I’ll be able to decide. Thanks!!
@Pinkorchid yes, that’s exactly what I was wondering! Thank you!
@Robbity I also have a sweet tooth so am wondering if now I’ve conquered it, I’d be bringing it back. I’m jealous it works so well for you
@Brunneria since I’ve only baked LC once, the flax/almond bread recipe, I haven’t run into that yet. But if claggy means it sticks to your mouth, that I do have LOLOL! No sweetener in it, just, takes a very moist mouth to wash it down.
@Guzzler I’ve read stuff about sweeteners messing with your endocrine system, so I’m out with the jury!
@Hotpepper20000 I think I might have that problem also...probably best not to even go there, eh.

And now for some really interesting personal food news! Went to DS and DDIL’s house for lunch. Brought my own good food. They are always good with the desserts, and today’s choices were my favorite donuts or chocolate chess pie. Decided sin with donuts... i had a few bites of a really delicious buttermilk donut and Could Not Eat Any More!!!! It was active revulsion. Amazing! Now of course my belly rebels and so does my brain. I’ll pay for this for days, but a valuable lesson is impressed. “Don’t even bother!” Wow. This gut knowledge will make holiday food season so much easier...

Thanks all for your input - I took the erythritol out of my shopping cart. 80% chocolate (best I can do in kroger without having to take raspberry in it too, yuk!)

Edit to fix member tag typo

Last edited:
Reactions: Guzzler