Does Insulin make you gain weight?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Before diabetes I was 50kg, after i'm still 50kg, either its in my genes or I have a thyroid problem which hasn't yet been detected in my blood tests, 3500 calories in a week seem to have done nothing its like I have a black hole in my stomach that gravitates everything into it and nothing comes out.

Also both my family and nutritionist told me I need to exercise but to what point? I take in the energy but my body doesn't seem to know how to use it for muscle growth. Its not the hba1c which i regret to admit is very high and off the scale. I inject alot of insulin to cater for all of what I have to eat, but I inject only once I feel that i'm high, i've never actually tested for it, last time i tested was like 2 months ago now; just a habit that I can't get out of. I now take vitamin d3 and omega-3 every day, just in the hope it might get things straight and improve my overall depression and anxiety also.

Everybody can change their attitudes if they want to. You say that you last tested 2months ago... And you can't get out of that habit... That just isn't true....

During the last 15 years I have had on and off depression. Diagnosed with fibromyalgia (that I never really believed) and also had some chronic times of leg pain. I have now found out that in 2003 it was suspected that I was allergic to aspartame and sweeteners... All of these can give these symptoms.... (I was never told that they suspected an allergy and it was not officially, properly put on my records). I know I was so good for about a year in 2011... And could not work out the reason why... My hubby and I had tried to think of everything that was different.... It was because at the time we were living in a caravan and wedidn't have any room for diet drinks etc.. We were totally sweetener free....

All I am trying to say is that sometimes it is things that we arent aware of that can so adversely affect our brains and the way we are....

However, I know for myself that to keep "good" I have to check all foods-not only for carbs but anything that may be a sweetener.. So I must change this habit too!!

Please.. Consider that change is part of living.... Most of us hate change but we all have to do it at some point...

It concerns me that you just accept a habit of not testing unless high...

Reactions: 2 people

Chri55y

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Physically not being able to do sports and exercise because of the pain. Being overweight. Not being able to stick to a diet.
I've been a Type 1 diabetic for 7 months. I've noticed recently that I'm putting on weight around my tummy. Prior to being a diabetic I was always very slim with a flat stomach but now my clothes are all clinging around a tummy that I've never had before my diabetes. I eat healthily and rotate my injection sites. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same thing since becoming type 1.

Hi I'm type 2 but on insulin and tablets. I'm at my wits end as I've put on 2 stone since being put on insulin 2years ago. I'd been my previous weight for years - I had dieted and lost weight but I always put it back on and then stayed at my original weight. My GP told me to do the Atkins diet to lose weight, which I followed for 14 days within that 14 days I had 7 hypos, so I stopped the diet. I have since been told by my accupuncturist and by the nurses at the diabets consultants clinic, that the last thing a diabetic should do is the Atkins diet.

saffire

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've been a Type 1 diabetic for 7 months. I've noticed recently that I'm putting on weight around my tummy. Prior to being a diabetic I was always very slim with a flat stomach but now my clothes are all clinging around a tummy that I've never had before my diabetes. I eat healthily and rotate my injection sites. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced the same thing since becoming type 1.
Was told by my diabetic Dr that I would gain more weight by going on insulin!! Know of many who have especially around their stomach.

saffire

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hi I'm type 2 but on insulin and tablets. I'm at my wits end as I've put on 2 stone since being put on insulin 2years ago. I'd been my previous weight for years - I had dieted and lost weight but I always put it back on and then stayed at my original weight. My GP told me to do the Atkins diet to lose weight, which I followed for 14 days within that 14 days I had 7 hypos, so I stopped the diet. I have since been told by my accupuncturist and by the nurses at the diabets consultants clinic, that the last thing a diabetic should do is the Atkins diet.
True you need fibre in your diet, I sympathise as the same happened to me and its very difficult to shift and people judge you on it which I find depressing as they don't understand they are not diabetics nor on any medication and loose weight easily. I joined slimming world and while everyone else was loosing weight fast I struggled. I do lots of walking and now going to join the gym as exercise does help to keep the blood sugar down.

jeaniev

This was my experience too : in fact it was why my GP was reluctant to put me on insulin in the first place! I saw a dietician and basically you have to exercise more so you can reduce the insulin. That DOES work and your weight does go down but a period of illness last year meant high sugar/hugh insulins and i have out it all on again! I still like insulin better though as I find ot easier to control. So go for it exercise more!!

alisonhe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I think if you do the Atkins diet - you need to change your insulin and learn about how different foods affect your body, you would need to reduce possibly significantly the amount of insulin you take - which is a good thing. Also being on a low carb diet does seem to reduce / stop the symptoms associated with hypos - I can at times be low but still function when my diet is lower carb which is great!

supergob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I started to put on weight after first starting on insulin, mainly around my stomach, but the largest gain was after my Consultant topped up the insulin with a second longer lasting type. I take Nova Rapid and Lantus, also my doses continually rose and my stomach continued to swell. Alarmed and getting no answers I researched the problem through the Internet and discovered that this was a common problem and a new buzz word was Insulin Intolerant, where the Insulin converts the sugar into fats which in the male, unfortunately congregates around the stomach. When I approached my Consultant and presented my findings, he admitted that this was now a recognised problem and that there were tests to identify this problem. Indeed the tests proved positive and I was indeed insulin Intolerant. After tests on my Kidneys I was prescribed with a drug that was trialling at that time called Liraglitide, the early effects were dramatic and as well as my HBa1c levelling out then dropping, add to that a exercise regime, difficult when mobility is limited and counting carbs my weight has slowly reduced, unfortunately damage has been done to the nerves in my legs with worrying low blood supply to my left leg and a loss of feeling in both legs.

Lisaclark4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I have been a type 1 diabetic for 24 years and I have definitely put on a lot of weight since I went onto 4 injection a day, I know it is harder to loose weight as you get older, I am 44, but it is very frustrating as diabetes is not a text book disease, I could eat the same food for 2 consecutive days and have different blood sugar readings on both days but sticking to your original question I personally would say that I have 100% put on weight since becoming diabetic x

Linliz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have certainly put on at least 2st since taking insulin i had previously lost more than 3 st and i feel it all on my tummy after a check up doc said yes thought this would happen

alisonhe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I have been a type 1 diabetic for 24 years and I have definitely put on a lot of weight since I went onto 4 injection a day, I know it is harder to loose weight as you get older, I am 44, but it is very frustrating as diabetes is not a text book disease, I could eat the same food for 2 consecutive days and have different blood sugar readings on both days but sticking to your original question I personally would say that I have 100% put on weight since becoming diabetic x

Hi, I am 45 and have had T1 for 29 years. I have never been obese or skinny - mainly the higher range of normal weight but I have never eaten (generally speaking) a lot, I have always taken care and reduced/replaced starchy foods in my evening meal with veg (not potatoes). I feel lately I am slimmer and I think this is due to Insanity workouts partially (I have always exercised) and reducing my carb intake. Where I used to have cereal with nuts and seeds for breakfast I now have a small amount of mixed berries with nuts and seeds and coconut flakes and greek yogurt. I also need less insulin and I have learnt recently that the more insulin you take the more likely you are to gain weight. So, if you are not already - look into these things - reducing starchy foods and making sure you get plenty of exercise. I don't feel hungry, I had more hunger when I ate more starchy foods. I still eat some starches (brown rice occasionally and sweet potato) but it is limited. Also drink still water as if you are dehydrated you can get hunger pangs because your body needs water and if you don't drink it, it can only get it from the foods you eat.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You need to reduce insulin when doing Atkins or other low carb diet. You need to check your basal rate with a fasting test and then check your carb ratios. Then reduce insulin according to the reduced carbs. Whether you are type 1 or tyoe 2. This is the only way to do low carb diets properly on insulin and also the only way to lose or maintain weight on insulin. Otherwise you either get hypos or you "eat to the insulin" and gain weight.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This was my experience too : in fact it was why my GP was reluctant to put me on insulin in the first place! I saw a dietician and basically you have to exercise more so you can reduce the insulin. That DOES work and your weight does go down but a period of illness last year meant high sugar/hugh insulins and i have out it all on again! I still like insulin better though as I find ot easier to control. So go for it exercise more!!
Exercise more and reduce insulin, or eat less and reduce insulin. Just like any normal weight less plan for non diabetic people. Except we have to reduce the insulin ourselves, "manually". For non diabetics the insulin reduction is automatic. But insulin reduction is always required in order for anyone to lose weight. Diabetic or not.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have certainly put on at least 2st since taking insulin i had previously lost more than 3 st and i feel it all on my tummy after a check up doc said yes thought this would happen
Doc needs to put you on less insulin so you can eat less and lose weight. Then slightly more so you can maintain weight.

solitaire65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
abusive relationships
makes you gain weight. I hatr it and opted for a pancreas trnsplant

crb1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes you are not alone I have been a diabetic for 23 years and I have put alot of weight on I am now 22 stone you can lose the weight still you are a type 1 I am a type 2 and I am slowly losing it over time so just watch what you eat and don't go mad

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure if it's all down to a diet change but i've lost alot of body fat since starting on insulin.

Interaud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty, dishonesty, spiders
Yeup, I was always underweight and skinny, and now have a really noticeable pot belly, although the rest of my bod remains slim and my weight hasn't increased much. Have been told in the past that it's fluid, and I also had had an operation on gall bladder/pancreatic ducts. I put this down to weird size of belly, but a year on and I would guess its the insulin plus added carbs in my case.

novoguy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
smoking
Yes insulin sure dose, but I found victoza to help me lose weight and made me not won't chocolate, please ask your Dr if this could be suitable for you. Best drug I ever used. Good luck

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, your dietary and exercise habits make you gain weight. Insulin is just your drug of choice to enable it.