Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Defren said:
65% fat
25% protein
10% carbs

Stephen or Steve will be able to say for certain, but this is pretty much what I aim for, even if I don't always achieve the fat content.

Hi Defren,

Just out of interest when you were doing the Newcastle Diet how many carbs a day were you having? I bet it was less than 200grams or so; therefore doesn't that make it a low carb diet?

Best

Dillinger

Defren

Dillinger said:
Defren said:
65% fat
25% protein
10% carbs

Stephen or Steve will be able to say for certain, but this is pretty much what I aim for, even if I don't always achieve the fat content.

Hi Defren,

Just out of interest when you were doing the Newcastle Diet how many carbs a day were you having? I bet it was less than 200grams or so; therefore doesn't that make it a low carb diet?

Best

Dillinger

It was an ultra, ultra low carb diet Al. I was having a whole 9g of carbs a day for the first four weeks. Each shake was 3g of carbs. Weeks 5-8 was under 20g a day as I dropped a shake and added a meal, the carbs for those weeks came from either salad or vegetables, with 6g daily from the shakes.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Okay this thread has been locked and cleaned up.

As per the forum rules keep things friendly and on topic. Do NOT accuse anyone of being a liar. You can of course question members on there accomplishments and how they were achieved but this must be in a friendly manner and not rude or aggressive manner and if the member does not wish to discuss this then that is the end of it.

I have re-opened this thread and it will remain on topic or be closed permanently.

Thanks

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dillinger said:
I bet it was less than 200grams or so; therefore doesn't that make it a low carb diet?

That really interesting Dillinger, often you read that a low-carb diet is less than 130g, 100g or even 50g in some cases but no-one seems to have a definitive answer, is that your own interpretation of low-carb or have you read it in a book somewhere?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
noblehead said:
Dillinger said:
I bet it was less than 200grams or so; therefore doesn't that make it a low carb diet?

That really interesting Dillinger, often you read that a low-carb diet is less than 130g, 100g or even 50g in some cases but no-one seems to have a definitive answer, is that your own interpretation of low-carb or have you read it in a book somewhere?

The experts in the field define it as <130g a day:
http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/5/1/9/

There is a strong physiological reason for this: your brain uses 120g of glucose a day. If you eat less than this, then you have to rely on ketosis and gluconeogenesis.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
borofergie said:
There is a strong physiological reason for this: your brain uses 120g of glucose a day. If you eat less than this, then you have to rely on ketosis and gluconeogenesis.

Thanks Dillinger...................................I mean Stephen! :wink:

Yeah the 130g figure was one I was told by my Endo some 3/4 years ago and has been discussed numerous times before on the forum, I'm not sure if Dillinger was being serious but I know he is a avid reader of all things low-carb and was wondering where the 200g was mentioned.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi again everyone, I am in Atkins indution and have only lost 2lbs in 2 weeks. I do everything right except I think that I don't eat enough fat, despit having cream and butter with omelettes for breakfast and olive oil and mayo with salads. Yesterday I took in cals 1950, pro 66.7, carbs 13.73 and fat 150, which relates to less than 10% of total calories. How do I up the fat content to allow me to lose weight more, by the way BG levels are fine, thanks.

SweetHeart

Deb, did you get your Levo increased yet? I started to lose weight when my dosage was increased. Sometimes hypothyroidism doesn't respond to diets unless they are really drastic, otherwise it can be very slow but steady. My weight plateau'ed, but it's dropping slowly now I'm hoping that by increasing the fat intake a little and upping the water it will speed up a bit. I aso need to remember to eat regularly and to drink the water I've poured out.

Thinking about it, last week I lost 4lbs and I was drinking much more. Think I'm going to put a bottle on string around my neck.....

Ju

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks SweetHeart, yes thyroxine has just been increased but it's deflating when you do everything right and lose hardly any weight and it seems other people lose loads in the first 2 weeks

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
diadeb wrote
it's deflating when you do everything right and lose hardly any weight and it seems other people lose loads in the first 2 weeks

Per this article

http://thyroid.about.com/od/loseweights ... s-diet.htm

it seems being hypothyroid can greatly hinder weight loss. Where's a good endocrinologist when you need them :roll:
If it's any consolation, after losing several pounds, I've plateau'd at just under 14 stone. Since I haven't been under 14 for some years, that's some consolation (being under the magic 'stone' marker.)
And I share your envy at those shedding pounds :mrgreen:

Geoff

SweetHeart

diadeb said:
Thanks SweetHeart, yes thyroxine has just been increased but it's deflating when you do everything right and lose hardly any weight and it seems other people lose loads in the first 2 weeks

Takes between five and eight weeks for the increase in dosage to really kick in - our new doc told me this a few weeks back - so don't give up. I know exactly how you feel. I have another stone or so to go and I feel like I'm getting nowhere. As Geoff said, I am lighter than I've been in years, dropped two dress sizes, so that's some consolation. I too envy the others who are shedding pounds fast, but on the other hand hopefully I won't be left with a lot of spare skin!

Ju

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks Ju, yes it's a pain when you do evrything right and drink like a fish but nothing much moves but with my Throid function not yet stablised I didn't think it would, just have to persever!!

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Geoff, thanks for the enlightening article, although I don't think many GP's would undertake all those investigations, my current TSH is 9 and should be below 2 on thyroxine treatment, which I am and have been for the last 30 years so will just have to keep trying, the main issue is that my BG levels are ok, Deb x