1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Does low carb make you low mood

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Motherhen2014, Feb 18, 2018.

1. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I miss fruit

• Like Like x 1
  2. Paulines7

Paulines7 Type 2 · Member

I have been reading a lot of low carb and health books and rapeseed oil is one of the healthiest. I suppose olive oil would be better in this case but for cooking, rapeseed is now much better than sunflower or any other oil.

3. mischief123

mischief123 Type 2 · Member

I do miss my bread and potatos. I have just been naughty and had two chips off my husband's plate. I wish I could find something to replace bread so I could have a butty. However I have lost 2 stone and my sugar is lower than it has been for a some time. 4.5.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

There are I believe two different types.. cold pressed rapeseed oil which is fairly expensive and canola oil which is made from rapeseed via an industrial process. I'm guessing that mass produced dressings will use the latter and its probably not great for us whereas the former may be. I should probably make my own with something like avocado oil but to be honest I don't have it very often so can;t be bothered. If however it was something I had regularly then I wouldn't have this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Don't blame me,........................ https://lowcarbyum.com/chocolate-iced-coconut-donuts-gluten-free/

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Paulines7

Paulines7 Type 2 · Member

Well done on the weight loss, Mischief. I have also lost just under 2 stone and my GP is really pleased with my HbA1c which is now 47. I think that equates to about 6.3. You have done very well to get down to 4.5. Are you on medication for your diabetes? I am on diet only to control mine. I never eat rice or pasta but I sometimes have a Mini Magnum and some dark chocolate.

Have you tried the Lidl protein rolls? They are quite solid and filling but I love the taste of them now I have got used to them. I have one for lunch now and again and they don't raise my bg levels like normal bread does.

7. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Well-Known Member

God, I miss meat! I became allergic to it about 18 months back. Lucky I adore flippin’ avocados, though :arghh:;)

• Hug Hug x 1
  8. jwongcsp

jwongcsp Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Are fags cigarettes?

9. LooperCat

Yeah, common British slang!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Incyb

Incyb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Yes! I have no desire to subject homosexual folk to high temperatures.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Rosalie_900

Rosalie_900 Prediabetes · Member

I was low carbing and periodically became terribly tired and also a little down. I would take some salty bouillon and that helped but the problem would recur a few days later. It has taken me a while to realise that I needed to pre-empt these feelings by regularly taking more salt (and fluid). It is possible that your problems are similar. So if you are not having much salt at present try generously adding it regularly to meals. Also try drinking a good glass of water with every meal. I take a 300ml glass 4 times a day as the low carb diet makes you lose fluid. So far I have found this very helpful.
    Incidentally I have found the perfect low carb snack!! The Real Pork Crackling company produce the most yummy pork crackkling. It is additive free and has 0.5g carb per packet but plenty of salt. I get them in Sainsbury’s. I take one with me to have after the gym or a on a walk to keep me salted up. They are very good for the mood too!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

No. Low bgs give me low mood.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

After seeing what vegetable and sunflower oil did to my hob...butter and lard all the way now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SockFiddler

SockFiddler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have you seen / tried these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SNAFFLING-...qid=1519208754&sr=8-6&keywords=pork+crackling

They're a little on the expensive side, but it's proper crackling (not that weird puffy, empty stuff) and the flavours are really, really good - you can taste what it says they are, but they don't overwhelm the taste of the crackling, either.

I highly recommend.

15. LooperCat

I sometimes use a locally produced Welsh rapeseed oil, it’s cold pressed and not processed. It’s quite handy if I’m frying stuff at higher temperatures as it has a much higher flashpoint than olive oil. It’s useful when you want a flavourless oil. I sometimes add a little to butter when I’m frying with that, as it stops it from burning.

16. Rosalie_900

Rosalie_900 Prediabetes · Member

Thank you. It’s difficult to be sure but I think they contain Monosodium glutamate. What I like about the real pork crackling is that it has no additives.

17. Motherhen2014

Motherhen2014 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for your message I will keep it n mind.xx

18. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Is rapeseed oil bad? We use it to cook and extra virgin olive oil to drizzle?

19. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Depends on how it has been produced. Personally I would use butter or animal fat over anything from veg or seeds.
    Olive being from a fruit should be ok like avocado oil.

20. Motherhen2014

Motherhen2014 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Rapeseed oil is a good oil as far as I know I always use it for trying but only a spray I might add.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook