1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Does low carb make you low mood

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Motherhen2014, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Motherhen2014

Motherhen2014 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just can't shift this really heavy feeling.Fewl miserable and don't want to do anything.

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Most people find renewed mental vigour on Low Carb.. maybe it's just the weather...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SockFiddler

SockFiddler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Heya @Motherhen2014 - sorry to read you're feeling a bit glum. Can I ask... how long have you been low-carbing, and did you suddenly drop into a low carb target or reduce slowly?

It could be you've got a touch of the keto flu: essentially, your body has grown super-used to those yummy, yummy, pointless carbs and is throwing a tantrum to see if you'll start eating them again. Good news it that it doesn't last long and you'll be feeling fabulous (more than ever) in a week or two.

https://www.ruled.me/keto-flu-remedy/

Could also be that you're spoiling for a bug. Lots of liquid, rest and your fave boxed set if you have time.

Get well soon xx

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

It could be withdrawal symptoms. This is not an exaggeration, carbs are addictive and when we lower the intake of them our brain's and body's react accordingly. The good news is that if you stick with it these symptoms are short lived.

Having said that, my mood can plummet during the winter months due to low light levels and has nothing to do with T2.

I hope you feel better soon, lass.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SockFiddler

Oooh, @Guzzler called you "lass" - that's as good as a hug and a cup of tea from her! Feel special! :)

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Some people feel a bit like that when they feel they're mourning the things they no longer eat. Do you think that's maybe happening a bit?

It's OK to feel that way, and for most it passes as they settle into their new routine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Motherhen2014

Motherhen2014 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you x

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Incyb

Incyb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For me it passed, then returned after about 11 months, at which point I announced "I want to eat a dozen iced doughnuts, smoke forty fags, and drink two bottles of wine". I didn't do it. *sigh* The feeling is one I continue to struggle with. Coming on here helps.

• Hug Hug x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Honeyend

Honeyend · Well-Known Member

Its flumpy February, its the only time I would rather be at work. Eating less carbs made me feel better straight away, but if I eat over 20 in one go I just want to sleep.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

I don't have a sweet tooth but your mention of doughnuts made me see an image of a pot of tea and two ring doughnuts instantaneously. It may be a while before I forgive you ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. Incyb

Incyb Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. SockFiddler

After a couple of really difficult meetings (about school and my son's "outcomes" and blah blah), I sat in a Costa with a close friend and pondered what I wanted to drink. I was feeling down, deflated, disappointed and my instinct was to have something warm, sweet and gratuitously fluffy - which is what I was about to order until I looked down to get my purse out of my bag and realised that my stomach (after just 6 days) had already started to reduce.

Sugarless, silky latte with an extra shot and a reducing liver (with toes within easy sight) is what I ended up enjoying.

(And I lay my gratitude for my resistance firmly at the feet of you lovely folks who have welcomed me back with such encouragement and open arms. I couldn't bear the thought of 'fessing up to a carb blip today).

Big love <3

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ixi1429

ixi1429 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I really miss Doughnuts...Warm ones, filled with Jam...
    I also miss Pancakes with Golden syrup or Lemon and sugar......
    oh well back on the Bread and water....
    no wait I cannot have bread.....
    back on the water.

All joking asaide. I focus on the end result, reducing HbA1c, losing weight, etc. It mostly helps. Th other thing I do is to try and find those luxury foods I can eat with wild abandon .

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. SockFiddler

And creamy sauce and thick, thick yoghurt and guilt-free bacon and salad with limitless dressing and as-many-eggs-as-you-like omelettes with great handfuls of cheese and the good bit of the cheese cake without the crumby annoying base that no-one really likes anyway and super-tasty cuts of beef slow-roasted so all that lovely marbled fat soaks through the joint and makes it all super-moist and yummy and... and... and...

(And I'm SO sorry if you're veggie or vegan. Avocados?)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. ixi1429

@SockFiddler
    Good try but still want doughnuts. Never mind Abstinence is good for the body and spirit.

What limitless dressing are you using ? As I need to be careful with mine - I normally uslemon juise and occasionally a splash of balsamic vinegar and I do mean a splash as it s15-20g per 100.

16. SockFiddler

I'm a big fan of squeezing the juice of a lime over leaves and then dotting a bit of walnut or sesame oil over the top. Especially over spinach. Nut oils are especially great as too much is just not nice, so I tend to use them sparingly.

Having said that... I'm going through a fairly heavy Caesar dressing phase at the moment (Tesco's own is 4.95g carbs per 100g and you can generously dress two salads from a single 250ml bottle. Yummy!

• Like Like x 1
  17. bulkbiker

Hey Sock
    Have you seen this one..
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/260195848
    1.4g per 100g
    Shame about the rapeseed oil but we can't be perfect.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. ixi1429

I never thought to look at the prepared ceaser sald stuff. I just assumed it would be carb heavy...I'll have a look later.

19. SockFiddler

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. bulkbiker

Nice to know that all those hours of examining food labels in the supermarket aren't going to waste...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook