Does poor sleep influence the HbA1c test result?

Maris Piper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I started testing my blood several times a day and realised it was high first thing (around 9mmol) went up and down a bit but ended more or less where it started at bedtime. Then I started monitoring my fasting blood test only. As a low carb diet had made little difference to my weight and I needed to lose a stone, I’ve been on a low calorie diet. I have lost weight but my fasting level didn’t really change. Then one night I had a much better nights sleep and the morning reading was 6.7 even though the previous night I had traditional cottage pie ( with mashed potatoes) and vegetables and then an almond croissant. ( which was delicious!) The result seems to me that I need to improve my sleep not my diet but will poor sleep quality influence the HbA1c test I’m expecting in July? I am taking 500 mg Metformin but I can’t see it is influencing anything.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
A poor night's sleep can affect our blood sugar.
As HbA1C is a way of measuring our average blood sugar over the last 3 months, improved sleep patterns should reduce HbA1C.

There are many things which can affect our blood sugars including sleep, stress, weather, food, alcohol, drugs,...
Have you seen the 42 Factors That Affect Blood Glucose chart? https://diatribe.org/42factors

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sleep, stress and diet all affect blood sugar levels. A low carb diet itself is the single most important factor in controlling your diabetes.

What amount of carbs are you eating a day, and how long have you been low carbing?

Have a look at dawn phenomenon too, in the search engine here.

Maris Piper

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A poor night's sleep can affect our blood sugar.
As HbA1C is a way of measuring our average blood sugar over the last 3 months, improved sleep patterns should reduce HbA1C.

There are many things which can affect our blood sugars including sleep, stress, weather, food, alcohol, drugs,...
Have you seen the 42 Factors That Affect Blood Glucose chart? https://diatribe.org/42factors
When I was first diagnosed as type 2 (from HbA1c test ) both I and the GP were surprised. I’m fairly fit and not obviously overweight and had ( and have never had) any of the usual symptoms. My brother was told he was prediabetic, drinks 2 glasses of wine a night and his HbA1c result has gone down! But he sleeps well. Thanks for the link.

Reactions: In Response

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was first diagnosed as type 2 (from HbA1c test ) both I and the GP were surprised. I’m fairly fit and not obviously overweight and had ( and have never had) any of the usual symptoms. My brother was told he was prediabetic, drinks 2 glasses of wine a night and his HbA1c result has gone down! But he sleeps well. Thanks for the link.
Around 20% of newly diagnosed type 2 diabetics are slim and fit.

Erin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mean people, corrupt politicians, poverty, happy pharmaceutical ads;
I started testing my blood several times a day and realised it was high first thing (around 9mmol) went up and down a bit but ended more or less where it started at bedtime. Then I started monitoring my fasting blood test only. As a low carb diet had made little difference to my weight and I needed to lose a stone, I’ve been on a low calorie diet. I have lost weight but my fasting level didn’t really change. Then one night I had a much better nights sleep and the morning reading was 6.7 even though the previous night I had traditional cottage pie ( with mashed potatoes) and vegetables and then an almond croissant. ( which was delicious!) The result seems to me that I need to improve my sleep not my diet but will poor sleep quality influence the HbA1c test I’m expecting in July? I am taking 500 mg Metformin but I can’t see it is influencing anything.

In your experience have you found anything that improves your sleep? I tend to wake up every morning at 3:00 am or so, and sometimes I am successful going back to sleep, other times not.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A poor night's sleep is most likely to affect your morning fasting level rather than your levels during the day. If you are regularly eating cottage pies and croissants, you can't expect your HbA1c to reduce greatly! Metformin on its own is highly unlikely to be of effect. It is intended to be taken alongside a suitable diet. It's effect is very limited.

By the way - 2 glasses of red wine or very dry white won't increase blood sugar levels! It has very few carbs, and is a recommended alcoholic drink for people with diabetes. Its only problem - calories!!