Does someone want to explain it to a ten year old?

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And completely off-topic, for which I apologise and hope the mods won't give me severe beating.
Just to make my crime worse than yours. I have known a handful of redheads in my life but my American husband tells me America as a whole believes Scottish people are generally redheads because of the Groundskeeper Willie character in the Simpsons.

coby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Social mixing most sport, Soaps!
My diagnosis is almost exactly six months old today and I still don't really know what's going on. It strikes me that I don't really know what diabetes is or what has happened and is happening in my body. I love my keto diet but really don't know how it works or what ketones are. I'm pleased that the numbers on my meter are coming down but to be honest I don't actually know what I am measuring or what they represent. I go back and read old posts to try and learn but get all caught up in terms like visceral fat or synthesising glucose and just end up in a muddle. I know that I'm not stupid just a bit ignorant. I failed biology at school and dropped chemistry so all the science is a bit scary.
If you want to talk about pre-raphaelite symbolism I'm your girl but has anyone got a link that makes diabetes easy to understand?
@Margarettt my goodness I am SO like you .. or at least I was until this forum ... plus online video's by Dr Pradip Jamnadas eventually drilled through my skull and the lightbulb came on! I even went off the forum at first as I just couldn't understand what A1c blood tests meant or what carbs involved. I felt so stupid and got very upset I can tell you but eventually one of the members on here opened my eyes slightly, and another member sent me a link to Dr Jamnadas's videos ... which changed my life because at last I understood my body! I was only two stone overweight at my heaviest, but it came off long ago and I've maintained my weight at 9st (126 pounds) for three years and all that harmful visceral fat has gone along with the aches and pains it caused.
I am so enthusiastic about my health now and far more energetic at 73 years old than I was all through my 60's.
It takes varying amounts of time to 'get it' but you will. Mark my words x

Reactions: Antje77

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love this forum :cool: I can’t add anything useful but just wanted to say reading all of these posts has made me laugh, brought a lump to my throat because of the caring responses and great analogies.

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
since I was less than 10 years old myself when I was diagnosed with diabetes, I can try to explain it the way my doctor did for me. But I have t1, so if I make a mistake, please correct those who understand t2 better

Cells need glucose to live and work. In order for glucose to enter the cells, the hormone insulin is required, which is produced by the pancreas. With t2, the cells become less sensitive to insulin (they can only skip a certain part of the insulin that you have, all people have a different percentage, but imagine for simplicity that it's 60%) and glucose, instead of getting into the cells, remains in the blood (where it does not belong), and the cells starve. The pancreas tries to make sure that glucose from the blood gets into the cells and begins to produce more and more insulin. But with a keto diet, people eat fewer carbohydrates (which are converted by the body into glucose) and the insulin that you have is enough to get all the glucose from the blood into the cells.

Now about glycogenesis. When you eat carbohydrates, your body converts them into glucose, which your cells feed on, but when you don't eat carbohydrates, your liver begins to create glucose from other sources such as fats and proteins. This is called glycogenesis.

Ketones are substances that the liver produces when you don't eat carbohydrates, and your cells can use these substances for nutrition.

Visceral fat is the fat that is found around your abdominal organs. It keeps your organs in the place where they should be, but if there is too much of it, it is more dangerous to your health than if you have a lot of subcutaneous fat.

With the help of a glucose meter, we measure how much glucose is in our blood, that is, we look at whether our cells have "eaten" it or it has remained in the bloodstream. It is considered normal if the fasting glucose level is 3.3-5.5 mmol / l, after eating it is slightly higher (cells are currently eating), but 2 hours after eating the glucose level should return to normal

I hope you're a little clearer now.

And now I'm ready for a lecture about the pre-Raphaelites. To be honest, I adore Raphael and Michelangelo, but I don't know much about their predecessors :hilarious:

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ravensmitten You have no idea how this throw away line made me feel. "ha...I know this" puffed up pride. I have no idea if you were just being funny but red hair was rare and a bit scarey so came to symbolise angels and demons and then just mystical magical stuff. The preraphaelites used it to make the work edgey compounded by the fact that( as @JoKalsbeek said in another post) Lizzy Siddel was a red headed model and muse they used a lot,
It ended up with masses of mid victorian women trying to dye their hair red and so the whole thing snowballed.
That has (in a show off type of way) made me feel better. Thank you

Well this is amazing, thank you, it totally makes sense with the stereotype, and symbolism. thanks… and well

I could have looked it up in a book or online but seeing as you said “I’m your girl” re: art movement. How could I pass up a chance to ask someone, a real person who might know who we have right here. AND I thought you might like the question even if it was off topic slightly, it’s your thread. :0)

Funny you mention that, My dad used to/still has a very old framed print of a painting that was really dark and hard to make out, slightly haunting and seemed oozing in symbolism. It wasn’t until years later I found that it was an early print of beata beatrix and I could see it in all its glory.

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It takes varying amounts of time to 'get it' but you will. Mark my words x
Thank you @coby this helps. I had a look at Dr Jamandas on youtube and you are quite right he makes it more understandable. I now have an image of all the little bugs inside me that I'm not sure I like;)

• Funny
Reactions: Antje77 and coby

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I could have looked it up in a book or online but seeing as you said “I’m your girl” re: art movement.
oh @ravensmitten this put the fear in me that I had tried to pass myself off as some sort of expert. Many years ago I studied mid Victorian Britain for one year before changing course to sociological stuff. I found the pre-raphaelite part really interesting and some of it stuck. Honestly I know very little about art. The "I'm your girl" was just a way of saying I'm not super thick because I'm struggling to understand diabetes. I almost typed "if you want to discuss the dominant patriarchal ideology" which is one of the few other things I understand. Please forgive my showing off.

Last edited:

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
oh @ravensmitten this put the fear in me that I had tried to pass myself off as some sort of expert. Many years ago I studied mid Victorian Britain for one year before changing course to sociological stuff. I found the pre-raphaelite part really interesting and some of it stuck. Honestly I know very little about art. The "I'm your girl" was just a way of saying I'm not super thick because I'm struggling to understand diabetes. I almost typed "if you want to discuss the dominant patriarchal ideology" which is one of the few other things I understand. Please forgive my showing off.

Shhhhh, don't undo it :0)

Nothing to forgive, I read between the lines and there's a reason I didn't ask you for information on if the the quality of objects produced in the arts & crafts movements could stand up to or happily next to the traditional objects they sought to emulate the beauty of.

Can see you aren't super thick, it's a lot to get your head around and lots of conflicting information.

Also the 'curse of knowledge.'

Margarettt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shhhhh, don't undo it :0)

Nothing to forgive, I read between the lines and there's a reason I didn't ask you for information on if the the quality of objects produced in the arts & crafts movements could stand up to or happily next to the traditional objects they sought to emulate the beauty of.

Can see you aren't super thick, it's a lot to get your head around and lots of conflicting information.

Also the 'curse of knowledge.'
This is so kind it made my eyes wet. Thank you.

Jenny105

My diagnosis is almost exactly six months old today and I still don't really know what's going on. It strikes me that I don't really know what diabetes is or what has happened and is happening in my body. I love my keto diet but really don't know how it works or what ketones are. I'm pleased that the numbers on my meter are coming down but to be honest I don't actually know what I am measuring or what they represent. I go back and read old posts to try and learn but get all caught up in terms like visceral fat or synthesising glucose and just end up in a muddle. I know that I'm not stupid just a bit ignorant. I failed biology at school and dropped chemistry so all the science is a bit scary.
If you want to talk about pre-raphaelite symbolism I'm your girl but has anyone got a link that makes diabetes easy to understand?

To a 10yr old '' If you fall and cut your leg you need to tend to the hurt with clean water , and plasters so it doesnt get worse . . Right?.
Diabetes is a hurt inside you will need to tend it with the right foods and medication. It might get better (Type 2?) but you need to be brave and be a superhero always fighting it with the food you eat and tablet you take POW. The Nurse and Doctor are on your team ''

OR to grown up
Does this help? Im partially deaf/partially hearing but dont know its cause. Its CONFUSING. As i get older the hair cells in my ears die and the hearing loss increases. Diet doesnt help BUT I must do as Instructed , wear my hearing aids and learn to lip read, also TAKE tests every 3 years and listen to advice. ADAPT to my limitations .And in general keep healthy. I now have a Hearing dog with responsibilities and an App to use with my aids

So hows that like Diabetes? Diabetes is CONFUSING I dont know how it was caused exactly but know it could worsen or improve if responsible. . At last im getting somewhere with meds , with help, which I always take everyday as arranged (RESPONSIBILITY) and go for her advice and forum advice about food , sugar and carbs. RESPONSIBILTY , learn about foods and discuss with the Nurse and Forum. To keep healthy I also take all the tests offered .
Diabetes affects other body parts whereas deafness affects life in society.
Both deafness and diabetes affect daily life . LEARN to adjust seek support and life gets easier.

• Friendly
Reactions: Margarettt