Does squeezing your finger affect your BG reading?

ian1968

If you have to squeeze your finger to get a decent globule of blood, does that affect your BG rating? I've been finding recently that I don't get much blood coming out when I finger test, and I have to really squeeze a blood drop out. I usually test 4s and 5s, but I just tested 6.3 and I'm worried that I've come off the straight and narrow somehow.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
What number have you got your lance on? Do you need to replace it?

Emmerdale

Hi,I have the same problem,I can cure it most times by putting my hand in warm water for a while then its not so bad,Good luck

dib

I often have this problem especially in the evenings for some reason. I have the multiclix on the deepest setting and also find that warm / hot water helps, using the area up to the first joint of the finger also seems to give up blood more easily. I have heard that if you squeeze too hard other fluids can mix with the droplet of blood, thus diluting it resulting in a false reading.
Leaving a few moments after pricking and then gentle massage of the hand / wrist / finger after immersion in hot water works for me when I hit the problem. :thumbup:

Nada

I find my little finger or thumb produce the best drops but I have to rotate as the little finger can get sore. And give your hand a shake etc before attempting.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
If you squeeze too hard and too close to the pinprick site, you can get interstadial (-stacial? not sure of spelling) in the drop, which comes from between the cells of your finger - I think! That affects he reading.

Hanging your hand down pulls the blood to your fingertips - also check your setting for the depth of the prick - my gadget has a little rotating wheel to set the depth, which sometimes gets moved as I get it in and out of the kit.

Viv 8)

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
No idea, I'm afraid. Sorry! Theoretically, diluting the blood would lower the reading, but . . . :?:

Viv 8)