Does testing cause anxiety?

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Today I was told by my GP to stop testing myself as it causes anxiety. Is there any science behind this statement? Does anyone have links to science papers which indicate this or the reverse?

BTW I have never felt more in control of my own health than at the mo!!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Today I was told by my GP to stop testing myself as it causes anxiety. Is there any science behind this statement? Does anyone have links to science papers which indicate this or the reverse?

Perhaps it causes your GP anxiety hehe

I have not seen any published evidence of this. Keep testing. Knowledge is power.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you answered your own question :) - it's a subjective statement IMHO - for some who don't understand why they are testing or what to do if the numbers are not what they want to see or those that test randomly with no meaning then yes it may cause anxiety- but for those that are proactive and understand the reasons and what to when it is the most necessary and useful tool in our armoury

If you are happy testing then carry on - it's your life and body which makes it your responsibility to decide how it makes YOU feel not your GP or anyone else's

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This survey from 2010 reported that 27% of respondents experienced anxiety when glucose levels were out of range, however, it also reported that 80% of the respondents felt that SMBG was beneficial.

Further, a review done for NIHR in the process of building the evidence for NICE basically concluded that there was little education and very little idea how to educate those with Type 2 how to best use SMBG, which made it not cost effective.

The anxiety point is an easy get out when you want to say we don't have evidence that it's cost effective as we don't know how to tell you to use it effectively, in my view....

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

It is complete rubbish, as you can testify yourself. I recently went on an Xpert update course, and one of the group had been told the same thing by her doctor.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks so much for the science. Its what I can really relate too. My only response when the doc told me it caused anxiety was to tell him I'd be anxious if I didnt. A bit feeble really but I felt I was being patronised ( I probably was?) and I had to defend myself. It shouldnt be this way! Maybe doctors just dont have the time these days or maybe I should just change doctors?

Last edited:

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
They are scared IMO that they will eventually have to give testing equipment toT2's
I've an appointmant next week with a Dr who told me that testing was bad for my fingers and waiting for a blood test every 3 months was fine..... how do I know that the pasta and new tatties I had last week were bad/good for me - I didn't have either of them, but used them as an example of what is bad for a LCHF diet. Also the reverse, did I know that the steak and veg was good for me.......
It's your body and you decide not the Dr who has no idea!

Reactions: dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks so much for the science. Its what I can really relate too. My only response when the doc told me it caused anxiety was to tell him I'd be anxious if I didnt. A bit feeble really but I felt I was being patronised ( I probably was?) and I had to defend myself. It shouldnt be this way! Maybe doctors just dont have the time these days or maybe I should just change doctors?
If they tell you not to test, they are not working in your best interest.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anxiety is not always a bad thing - if seeing a high reading and becoming anxious enough to do something about it, reducing carbs, eating less, going for walks - and then testing to see the results - that is first of all sensible and secondly going to mean a far rosier looking future.
You might ask your doctor if he'd try to drive home with the windscreen of his car painted over.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They are scared IMO that they will eventually have to give testing equipment toT2's
I've an appointmant next week with a Dr who told me that testing was bad for my fingers and waiting for a blood test every 3 months was fine..... how do I know that the pasta and new tatties I had last week were bad/good for me - I didn't have either of them, but used them as an example of what is bad for a LCHF diet. Also the reverse, did I know that the steak and veg was good for me.......
Absolutely right.

Reactions: berylc

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spoke with the diabetes nurse last week and asker her how many of her patients were on low carb diets. She said that most were not and many continued to put sugar in their tea and eat junk high carb food. Obviously, such people are going to have very high blood sugars despite being on diabetic medication.

It appears that people with diabetes who measure their blood sugar and get it under control through a low carb diet and intermittent fasting are the exception rather than the rule. Hence, many doctors assume that diabetes is a progressive degenerative disease which requires more an more medication over time. This is because these same doctors are giving poor dietary advice to diabetes patients and consequently the patients suffer long term diabetes complications.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

If the doctor or nurse had a few meters they could lend out and their pharmacy stocked an inexpensive strip to fit them - rather than the arem and a leg ones available at my doctors' surgery - six months testing could make a lifetime of difference.
I used to test several times a day, but after six months from diagnosis it is hardly necessary.

paula121s

Hi, before I started testing regularly I was in denial that I needed to do something about my diabetes. I guess, out of sight out mind! I tried losing weight but gave up and continued to put on weight.

I had a couple of big ops on my spine earlier in the year and while I was in hospital, they kept testing me. I was horrified as it was over 17. The Dr in hospital said about testing, I told him my DN and GP had told me I don't need to test! He replied, how do you know what's going on. Since then I have tested regularly, does it make me stressed, yes it can do, but that tends to be when it throws up strange results and I don't understand them or I need to be watching what I eat etc. If I'm concerned about anything I ask on here and more often than not it's a simple answer. As the saying goes knowledge is power!

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
My doctor told me at my last appointment that testing once a week was sufficient, so I stopped testing 4 times a day and only tested on waking thinking that would be sufficient. My fasting bloods are still good with the occasional blip, still under 6, but a couple of days testing after meals has convinced me that I have slipped in my exercise regime and insulin resistance is starting again. Anxious, no because I know what to do but aware that the changes I made over a year ago have to be maintained if I value my health.

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi, before I started testing regularly I was in denial that I needed to do something about my diabetes. I guess, out of sight out mind! I tried losing weight but gave up and continued to put on weight.

I had a couple of big ops on my spine earlier in the year and while I was in hospital, they kept testing me. I was horrified as it was over 17. The Dr in hospital said about testing, I told him my DN and GP had told me I don't need to test! He replied, how do you know what's going on. Since then I have tested regularly, does it make me stressed, yes it can do, but that tends to be when it throws up strange results and I don't understand them or I need to be watching what I eat etc. If I'm concerned about anything I ask on here and more often than not it's a simple answer. As the saying goes knowledge is power!
Too right....With all this Its dificult for me to comprehend how far behind the learning curve NHS practice is. Also it really is tough when confronted with an argument from someone ie my doctor, who I would dearly like to trust and respect. In a real sense this is an abuse of power.

Reactions: Prem51

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This survey from 2010 reported that 27% of respondents experienced anxiety when glucose levels were out of range, however, it also reported that 80% of the respondents felt that SMBG was beneficial.

Further, a review done for NIHR in the process of building the evidence for NICE basically concluded that there was little education and very little idea how to educate those with Type 2 how to best use SMBG, which made it not cost effective.

The anxiety point is an easy get out when you want to say we don't have evidence that it's cost effective as we don't know how to tell you to use it effectively, in my view....
oops I responded to the wrong post - still a bit of a newbie here, but just to say was thanks for the Real evidence,,,,,,, If only it was more common and applied by those with the power to affect our lives. Thanks again

Reactions: berylc and Prem51

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
I had a friend who used to shake with fright waiting for her results luckily I knew her Diabetic nurse and told she reassured her and now she is fine.

Reactions: berylc and Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told last Wednesday by my DN that testing wouldn't make the slightest difference. That really confused me, even more so since joining this forum and reading all the posts from you lovely people.

It has made a HUGE difference to all of us, and we are the diabetics, your nurse probably isn't. :)

Reactions: spook_kate_