Does the MiaoMiao/a CGM make a difference?

indyjholtzmann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello! I've seen so many people mention the MiaoMiao to be used with Libre sensors and I've always been interested in it. I'm about ready to bite the bullet and buy one but it's a fair bit of money to spend out for me. I'd just like to get opinions from anyone who has the MiaoMiao, or even just a cgm, and whether it's made a difference or not.

At the moment, I scan my Libre at least every hour and find my biggest issue is missing on catching highs and correcting later than I would hope to. I just want to make sure that my money's going to be well spent on this thing.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Lotties and Marie 2

Mad76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I've found the miio mio to be brilliant.
Alongside my libre
I'm so used to it couldn't manage without it now.

It makes life soooo easy. No scanning at all. Just glance at phone. It shows graph , takes readings every 5 mins.

Excellent piece of kit !

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I’m not on the libre & Miao Miao combo, but I’m on the Dexcom and this is 5 days in and it has made a remarkable difference. According to my libre, I’m 65% in range and I am having far less hypos because it alerts me around 4.5.

Reactions: indyjholtzmann

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just got the Libre and enjoying the info presented. I now know why I have been waking at 2 hour intervals during the night for many years.
Where does one get a miao miao? Amazon? Are they hard to setup?

indyjholtzmann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just got the Libre and enjoying the info presented. I now know why I have been waking at 2 hour intervals during the night for many years.
Where does one get a miao miao? Amazon? Are they hard to setup?
You can buy it directly from https://miaomiao.cool/.

It looks simple enough to setup, just stick it to the sensor and your arm and there's a choice of 3rd party apps that should just pick it up automatically via bluetooth. I'd suggest having a read of the website, that's where I'm getting most of my info from :)

Reactions: Lotties
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The advantage a MiaoMiao gives that when used with comparable software/phone is the alarms which can be set on your phone for highs and lows, they can be set for multiple levels.
Effectively it changes the Libre from a Flash to a CGM monitor.

Like all information it can make a difference to how you manage your diabetes but it's not infallible.

Been using the combo for a while and it has dropped the HB1Ac and while at times the combo has been frustrating it certainly has helped.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You can buy it directly from https://miaomiao.cool/.

It looks simple enough to setup, just stick it to the sensor and your arm and there's a choice of 3rd party apps that should just pick it up automatically via bluetooth. I'd suggest having a read of the website, that's where I'm getting most of my info from :)
Thanks. Its ships direct from China and doesn't have VAT added. I have had experience of added costs & delays with goods that require duty so may wait until it is available in UK direct.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been wearing a miaomiao for less than the life of one sensor, and found it is brilliant - so far.

it shipped to me in the UK from one of the european websites within 3 days I think, during the heaviest pre-xmas post.

since I’m an apple girl, and already have an elderly iphone and a middle aged apple watch, I went for Tomato app (couldn’t face the aggro that Spike now involves). I’m finding Tomato slightly irritating, but that may improve over time.

the best thing IMO is being able to see my latest reading on my watch face (updates every few mins), with an indication of how much my reading has risen or fallen since the last reading.
There is also a facility to set different targets at different times of day, and of course having an alarm is invaluable. Over xmas, with a somewhat higher carb intake than usual, i was able to leap off the couch and do some exercise triggered as a response to the alarm. Also managed to avoid one nasty hypo by being alerted to plummeting readings. Very grateful for that one!

it seems more prone to compression lows at night, presumably because of the higher profile, so i for my next sensor i will try moving it further behind my arm.

very pleased so far.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have the Miao Miao 2?
I chose this, more expensive, option because it is smaller than the original. So far (less than a week), I have experienced no compression lows.
I always place my Libre sensor under my arm as it is less prone to getting caught by door frames or clothes removal and it is the flatter part of my arm.

yes, its the MM2.
I got it because it will be forward compatible with the next Libre2 that we will (hopefully) get here in the UK sometime this century...

Compression lows seem to be more common for some people than others. I’m apparently one of the ‘lucky’ ones. Sensor position has a lot less to do with it than sleeping position, I find.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
yes, its the MM2.
I got it because it will be forward compatible with the next Libre2 that we will (hopefully) get here in the UK sometime this century....

There will be a patch update for the MM1 when the Libre 2 comes out. Not updated the software on mine as yet as it works perfectly well at the moment

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Been wearing a miaomiao for less than the life of one sensor, and found it is brilliant - so far.

it shipped to me in the UK from one of the european websites within 3 days I think, during the heaviest pre-xmas post.

since I’m an apple girl, and already have an elderly iphone and a middle aged apple watch, I went for Tomato app (couldn’t face the aggro that Spike now involves). I’m finding Tomato slightly irritating, but that may improve over time.

the best thing IMO is being able to see my latest reading on my watch face (updates every few mins), with an indication of how much my reading has risen or fallen since the last reading.
There is also a facility to set different targets at different times of day, and of course having an alarm is invaluable. Over xmas, with a somewhat higher carb intake than usual, i was able to leap off the couch and do some exercise triggered as a response to the alarm. Also managed to avoid one nasty hypo by being alerted to plummeting readings. Very grateful for that one!

it seems more prone to compression lows at night, presumably because of the higher profile, so i for my next sensor i will try moving it further behind my arm.

very pleased so far.
Which EU website did you use? My Google search brought up nothing useful. I'd like to consider that option prior to Brexit:)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Hello! I've seen so many people mention the MiaoMiao to be used with Libre sensors and I've always been interested in it. I'm about ready to bite the bullet and buy one but it's a fair bit of money to spend out for me. I'd just like to get opinions from anyone who has the MiaoMiao, or even just a cgm, and whether it's made a difference or not.

At the moment, I scan my Libre at least every hour and find my biggest issue is missing on catching highs and correcting later than I would hope to. I just want to make sure that my money's going to be well spent on this thing.

Thanks in advance!
The Miao Miao turns the flash glucose monitor into a CGM. Mine alarms day and night for high or low sugars, which means I can treat a rise or fall in blood sugar before it turns into something serious. I can also go to sleep at night without worrying.

indyjholtzmann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I went ahead and bought a MiaoMiao so now I just need to sit and wait. It's the alarms that I'm interested in more than anything. Sometimes, highs and lows can evade my attention at work so they'll come in really handy. Excited to give it a go!

Reactions: Lotties

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I went ahead and bought a MiaoMiao so now I just need to sit and wait. It's the alarms that I'm interested in more than anything. Sometimes, highs and lows can evade my attention at work so they'll come in really handy. Excited to give it a go!
You can hook it up with a variety of smartwatches and have discreet alarms on your watch, plus you don’t need to get your phone out to see your levels :D

indyjholtzmann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can hook it up with a variety of smartwatches and have discreet alarms on your watch, plus you don’t need to get your phone out to see your levels :D

I don't have a smartwatch at the moment but have always been tempted by one. Does it only work on specific watches? I have an Android phone, specifically Samsung, so have only looked at the Samsung Gear Watches.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your Samsung is a recent-ish model from the last few years its likely it has an always on display too which I use to display the current value from xDrip.

Lotties

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Miaomiao for the Freestyle Libre arrived quickly, today, but there are no instructions whatsoever.
Has anyone got a set, please? At the price, I hope it's just an oversight.
EDIT - ignore. I read the Faqs. DOH!

Reactions: Brunneria

indyjholtzmann

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My Miaomiao for the Freestyle Libre arrived quickly, today, but there are no instructions whatsoever.
Has anyone got a set, please? At the price, I hope it's just an oversight.
I found this on their website regarding the manual:

There are a few different ways to get the user manual. We highly recommend you to read it before you use it in the first time.
1. You can scan the QR code on the MiaoMiao2 box.
2. you can find it at the bottom of our home page.
3. Download it here http://tomato.cool/miaomiao2/manual.pdf

Hope that helps! I'm just waiting for mine to arrive.