Does type 1 diabetes affect your social life? If so, how?

ashwin24

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello everybody!

I am currently a student at Canadian International School in Singapore. As a part of my recent assessment in Science class, I have been assigned to write an essay about hormonal therapies and their impacts on certain areas. I decided to choose insulin therapy since its very common and affects millions of people, which means I can study my topic easier. As part of my primary research, I decided to come to this forum, since I can trust the answers I get here. Anyways, to the point :-

I really want to know, especially type 1 diabetics, how does insulin therapy affect your daily life?

I would love everyone who uses the therapy daily to provide some knowledge and experience to me, all answers are appreciated!

Thanks a lot everyone

Stay healthy!!

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hi ashwin24,
That's a huge question.

Do you mean social life or daily life?

What part(s) of our social lives?

I think you'll need to write much more than an essay if you look at how T1 affects daily life, and it could be a very long essay if it's about our social lives.

Other people will have their own take on it - expect a variety of things to be said. To put it bluntly, I find it can be a pain, especially if the people I'm with don't understand how T1 works. Carting everything around and making sure vital supplies are ok can be onerous but it's just what we do. The effects of T1 are a constant, whether we like it or not, so we just have to get on with it!

I'll outline a few things that affect social life. Just a few things we need to do and think about. I don't want to write an essay myself. There may be a few things you'll need to look up on.

Successful treatment of T1 demands maintaining a blood sugar of 4 - 7 mmol. Lower that this and hypoglycaemia occurs, higher and hyperglycaemia happens. The effects of hypoglycaemia are immediate, progressing through cognitive and physical decline to unconsciousness.
We need to avoid this and know what's likely to make us 'go low'.

Carrying what we need to treat T1 with us:

Insulin: this will be affected by the time of day, the ambient temperature (insulin doesn't withstand excessive heat and it hates being frozen), the kind of insulin we each use, the mode of delivery - some inject it, some use a pump. There are also a variety of insulins available and people will have been prescribed these for their needs.

Test equipment. There are different ways that blood sugar can be ascertained. These days people tend either to use a cgm such as Freestyle Libre or Dexcom, or a portable device.

Emergency hypo treatment such as glucose, jelly babies.

For me this means that if I have a handbag it needs to be big enough to take it all and ideally have a section I can put the diabetes stuff in separately.

Activities. Balance and blood sugars rule, so the effects of physical exercise need to be anticipated. Ever seen what happens to glucose tablets if you take them swimming, or scuba diving? Try putting one in salty water and then assess how much glucose is left - then try eating it. You'll probably think it's easier to upload it before the exercise and hope it's the right amount - you might have to inject a bit of insulin after the exercise to bring your blood sugars back to optimum, you might have to stop what you're doing early if you begin to feel hypoglycaemic and find some carbohydrate to eat - quickly! This goes for all social activities that use more energy than usual. Again, it can be a right pain. However, for me, exercise makes T1 easier to manage overall as it affects the way insulin's used and carbohydrates are absorbed and stored. It makes me feel good too.

Eating:
We need to know the carbohydrate value of foods so that we can self-administer the right dose of insulin to cover them. We also need to know the ways that different foods affect the speed at which carbohydrate is absorbed so as to maintain a decent blood sugar level.
There are some books and apps that provide information on this, although it's limited. Another thing to carry around when eating out or at friends, but it's all part of T1.
It's hard to know how much carbohydrate's in food that's cooked by other people, and that can make things difficult. Other people don't always understand why we need to know what's in the food we're going to eat or what a carbohydrate is. Lots of explaining for us all to do. They might get offended too if they've spent hours making a beautiful glacé fruit and sugar covered meringue pavlova and we say we only want the tiniest taste of it (just to try and be polite) then test blood sugars every half hour fearing the effect that taste has had.

Getting there and back again or staying overnight:
Driving. Blood sugars should, we're told, be at least 5.5 (there's more than one way to express that value) to drive safely. But are they going to stick at 5.5? Are they rising? Are they falling? This is where knowing yourself, what you've eaten, what exercise you've taken and the effects it's likely to have are important. It's always important, for every bit of life. The dangerous one is becoming hypoglycaemic. Most of us are aware when this happens and can stop what we're doing and treat it. There are warning signs. Some unfortunate people lose the warning signs, and here in the UK they're not allowed to drive legally if that happens. It can affect life really badly, and not just socially. On the other hand, causing an accident and hurting self and others would be even more terrible.

There. I've written more than enough now. I could go on and on so I've just looked at a few things. Like I said I to start with, you've chosen a huge area to write about. I suggest you narrow it down to a smaller one - maybe just eating away from home or some kinds of activities. Then you can include more of the science in too.

Last edited by a moderator:

ashwin24

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi ashwin24,
That's a huge question.

I think you'll need to write much more than an essay if you look at how T1 affects daily life, and it could be a very long essay if it's about our social lives.

Other people will have their own take on it - expect a variety of things to be said. To put it bluntly, I find it can be a pain, especially if the people I'm with don't understand how T1 works. Carting everything around and making sure vital supplies are ok can be onerous but it's just what we do. The effects of T1 are a constant, whether we like it or not, so we just have to get on with it!

I'll outline a few things that affect social life. Just a few things we need to do and think about. I don't want to write an essay myself. There may be a few things you'll need to look up on.

Successful treatment of T1 demands maintaining a blood sugar of 4 - 7 mmol. Lower that this and hypoglycaemia occurs, higher and hypoglycaemia happens. The effects of hypoglycaemia are immediate, progressing through cognitive and physical decline to unconsciousness.

Insulin: this will be affected by the time of day, the ambient temperature (insulin doesn't withstand excessive heat and it hates being frozen), the kind of insulin we each use, the mode of delivery - some inject it, some use a pump. There are also a variety of insulins available and people will have been prescribed these for their needs.

Test equipment. There are different ways that blood sugar can be ascertained. These days people tend either to use a cgm such as Freestyle Libre or Dexcom, or a portable device.

For me this means that if I have a handbag it needs to be big enough to take it all and ideally have a section I can put the diabetes stuff in separately.

Activities. Balance and blood sugars rule, so the effects of physical exercise need to be anticipated. Ever seen what happens to glucose tablets if you take them swimming, or scuba diving? Try putting one in salty water and then assess how much glucose is left - then try eating it. You'll probably think it's easier to upload it before the exercise and hope it's the right amount - you might have to inject a bit of insulin after the exercise to bring your blood sugars back to optimum, you might have to stop what you're doing early if you begin to feel hypoglycaemic and find some carbohydrate to eat - quickly! This goes for all social activities that use more energy than usual. Again, it can be a right pain. However, for me, exercise makes T1 easier to manage overall as it affects the way insulin's used and carbohydrates are absorbed and stored. It makes me feel good too.

Eating:
We need to know the carbohydrate value of foods so that we can self-administer the right dose of insulin to cover them. We also need to know the ways that different foods affect the speed at which carbohydrate is absorbed so as to maintain a decent blood sugar level.
There are some books and apps that provide information on this, although it's limited. Another thing to carry around when eating out or at friends, but it's all part of T1.
It's hard to know how much carbohydrate's in food that's cooked by other people, and that can make things difficult. Other people don't always understand why we need to know what's in the food we're going to eat or what a carbohydrate is. Lots of explaining for us all to do. They might get offended too if they've spent hours making a beautiful glacé fruit and sugar covered meringue pavlova and we say we only want the tiniest taste of it (just to try and be polite) then test blood sugars every half hour fearing the effect that taste has had.

Driving. Blood sugars should, we're told, be at least 5.5 (there's more than one way to express that value) to drive safely. But are they going to stick at 5.5? Are they rising? Are they falling? This is where knowing yourself, what you've eaten, what exercise you've taken and the effects it's likely to have are important. It's always important, for every bit of life. The dangerous one is becoming hypoglycaemic. Most of us are aware when this happens and can stop what we're doing and treat it. There are warning signs. Some unfortunate people lose the warning signs, and here in the UK they're not allowed to drive legally if that happens. It can affect life really badly, and not just socially. On the other hand, causing an accident and hurting self and others would be even more terrible.

There. I've written more than enough now. I could go on and on so I've just looked at a few things. Like I said I to start with, you've chosen a huge area to write about. I suggest you narrow it down to a smaller one - maybe just eating away from home or some kinds of activities. Then you can include more of the science in too.

Fairy god mother, you are literally a godmother!!!
You have literally saved my essay, you answer is so precise and detailed, I love you!!
Thanks you so much for your help, I hope you don't mind if I cite you in my essay
Thank you so so much again! I wish I could like award you something you deserve it!!!
I cant thank you enough, thank you so much for your wonderful reply <3

Reactions: Sweetheart66

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
For me, insulin therapy (by injection) takes much of the spontinaiety out of life as you have to plan ahead and can't just jump in a car or go out for a run on a mere whim. I may go out without insulin but I always need a source of carbohydrate with me (or know that I can get some easily.)

Restaurants freak me out now. I don't really know how much carbohydrate is going to be on the plate until the meal is in front of me, and I don't want salad every time I eat out. If I inject at the point the food is served, it may be too late to stop a glucose spike after eating, if I inject early and end up waiting an hour or more for the food to arrive then I'm in trouble (this has happened).

Every once in a while my blood glucose level drops like a stone after injecting. This is very disconcerting, especially when driving to work and I end up sitting in a layby for an hour drinking glucose and waiting for my levels to come back up.

If you are employed in a high pressure role such as a chef in a busy kitchen, then it can be really difficult to manage. I remember one such person on the forum being accused of not pulling his weight by his workmates because he was leaving the kitchen to test/inject. I am lucky that my employer is quite laid back but some forum members report that their employers are pretty tough to deal with when it comes to doctors/hospital appointments.

A good few diabetic people suffer from diabetes burnout - the chore of testing and injecting just becomes wearisome and they ultimately fail to look after their health properly. It's difficult to get out of this cycle when it starts as uncontrolled glucose levels can easily lead to other conditions, thereby fuelling immobility and depression.

For some, the fear of diabetes complications and even the fear of needles, leads to anxiety and stress which can actually raise blood glucose levels.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I ought really to correct what I said was hyperglycaemia - according to a nurse I saw last week clinical hyperglycaemia is blood sugars of 18 mmol or above. But - running blood sugars consistently high, we are told, not even as high as 18, can lead to damage - kidneys, cardio-vascular system, eyes . . . It’s worrying to think about.

I didn’t mention, either, being conscious of how others see you. Hypoglycaemia can look similar to drunkenness. Some people don’t like injecting in public. Blood sugar levels are linked to mood, too high or too low and what we may like to believe is our ‘real’ selves transforms to something else. All affect social life.

It’s not all bad, though. Good friends are friends for many years. I can have a good time meeting with them, going to films, theatre, music, dancing, walking, exhibitions, shared creative sessions. Lots of good stuff - but the things I described earlier always need to be taken care of. Always.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Glad you’re going to reference your sources - beware plagiarism!!!!!

ashwin24

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For me, insulin therapy (by injection) takes much of the spontinaiety out of life as you have to plan ahead and can't just jump in a car or go out for a run on a mere whim. I may go out without insulin but I always need a source of carbohydrate with me (or know that I can get some easily.)

Restaurants freak me out now. I don't really know how much carbohydrate is going to be on the plate until the meal is in front of me, and I don't want salad every time I eat out. If I inject at the point the food is served, it may be too late to stop a glucose spike after eating, if I inject early and end up waiting an hour or more for the food to arrive then I'm in trouble (this has happened).

Every once in a while my blood glucose level drops like a stone after injecting. This is very disconcerting, especially when driving to work and I end up sitting in a layby for an hour drinking glucose and waiting for my levels to come back up.

If you are employed in a high pressure role such as a chef in a busy kitchen, then it can be really difficult to manage. I remember one such person on the forum being accused of not pulling his weight by his workmates because he was leaving the kitchen to test/inject. I am lucky that my employer is quite laid back but some forum members report that their employers are pretty tough to deal with when it comes to doctors/hospital appointments.

A good few diabetic people suffer from diabetes burnout - the chore of testing and injecting just becomes wearisome and they ultimately fail to look after their health properly. It's difficult to get out of this cycle when it starts as uncontrolled glucose levels can easily lead to other conditions, thereby fuelling immobility and depression.

For some, the fear of diabetes complications and even the fear of needles, leads to anxiety and stress which can actually raise blood glucose levels.

Hey Urbanracer, thanks for the great answer!
There is a lot of scenarios from your text which I can use as part of my essay! I'll be sure to cite you!
Thanks once again everyone, there are great examples from both of your replys that I can use to help me out
Thank you so much!

paigerobbo_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Insulin therapy has huge effects on my life physically and socially. Obviously insulin saves my life and makes me live but it can be really awkward.

Sometimes injecting in public can have problems like people staring at you, pulling faces and asking millions of questions and it can be really tiring. It also can make you really anxious with funny looks off others who probably know little to nothing about the condition.

It can also be horrible with a pump. People can see it and think things like ‘Oh my gosh she’s twelve and she’s on birth control!!’

It’s absolutely amazing in reality but it can lead to so many emotional conditions like anxiety, depression and diabetes burnout which is not nice!!

leahkian

ashwin24 diabetes has ruled my life since the age of 3 until just before i was 39. So here goes after 3 weeks of GP's coming out to the house and different things were told to my parents until one doctor told my father to get me to hospital quick as he said i was a diabetic ( this was 1979 and not a lot of people new about diabetes) i was put on a infusion and my parents were told that i had a 50/50 chance of living but i pulled through. Injection in them days were glass and no one has a blood machine, i was given a strict diet to follow and everything had to be planned well in advance, then when i moved up to comp school the change in dinner times were such that hypos were almost everyday and even though i was a good footballer the teachers did not pick me because of my diabetes ( i was the only diabetic in a school of 1200). After i left school i was 17 and started to go out drinking and clubbing which was what all my friends did but as they got ready and went out i had to make sure was o.k. with my diabetes and i had something with me to eat plus a diabetic card as a hypo can be mistaken for being drunk. Just before i was 18 i was sent to a consultant about my eyes and told i needed laser treatment as tiny blood vessels at the back of my eyes could burst, i hold the record for the amount of laser shots i had on my eyes. Unlucky for me it did not work and over the next 3 years i had 5 ops to clear the blood from the back of the eye, you could not see it just by looking at my eye. This meant after each op that i could not have a drink and was told to pack in football as heading the ball could cause another bleed. Here i was 21 told to retire from football which i was playing at a high level in the local leagues and my social life suffered as did my mental health did. Only about 6 months later i was told i needed to see a renal consultant who told me that i would need a new kidney by the time i was 30, i was shocked and for 4 years only thought about myself hurting people in the process who did not warrent it. I still went out for a drink and i think it was about when i was 25 that a girl asked me if she could catch diabetes if we kissed, i said no but i was raging inside, so after that i told everyone that i was a diabetic. I also had 4 ops on my hands and elbow, as my mental health went up and down. I got to 30 and my renal function stayed steady at 25% which no one could understand and also had two children now, so i was a dad, diabetic and a partner and everything we did had to be planned but we split up when i was 34 and the stress and heartache of my children means i took my eye off my diabetes so i got a insulin pump from my local hospital but they could not get my levels right so i went to the Freeman Hospital at Newcastle and for the first time in years i had hope. My children moved in with me when i was 36 so social life was put on hold and on the 17th of April 2015 i had a pancreas and kidney transplant after a rough year the transplant was working great. The only thing was with having normal sugar levels the effects of the damage of the diabetes came to light, my nerve endings were done for, my arms and legs would go numb, when they did the transplant they took some nerves away from the bladder which led to my bladder being able to hold at least 8 pints of fluid before i needed the toilet. The bladder damage led to me going from 83kg to 107kg in a week, i am now back down to about 90kg. My bowels are also damaged and i am in constant pain that i have lidocaine infusions about once a month as well as my other appointments( in 2016 i had 62 appointments to see different doctors and that does not included stopping in hospital). So here i am today after having a double transplant diabetes is still ruling my life and it has had a major effect on my social life, do i regret having the transplant, no because i am watching them grow up. It does not only effect my life but the people closest to me, this is just a brief outline of what i have gone through so if you want anymore questions answered then just ask and good luck.

Reactions: ashwin24

Dark Horse

ashwin24 diabetes has ruled my life since the age of 3 until just before i was 39. So here goes after 3 weeks of GP's coming out to the house and different things were told to my parents until one doctor told my father to get me to hospital quick as he said i was a diabetic ( this was 1979 and not a lot of people new about diabetes) i was put on a infusion and my parents were told that i had a 50/50 chance of living but i pulled through. Injection in them days were glass and no one has a blood machine, i was given a strict diet to follow and everything had to be planned well in advance, then when i moved up to comp school the change in dinner times were such that hypos were almost everyday and even though i was a good footballer the teachers did not pick me because of my diabetes ( i was the only diabetic in a school of 1200). After i left school i was 17 and started to go out drinking and clubbing which was what all my friends did but as they got ready and went out i had to make sure was o.k. with my diabetes and i had something with me to eat plus a diabetic card as a hypo can be mistaken for being drunk. Just before i was 18 i was sent to a consultant about my eyes and told i needed laser treatment as tiny blood vessels at the back of my eyes could burst, i hold the record for the amount of laser shots i had on my eyes. Unlucky for me it did not work and over the next 3 years i had 5 ops to clear the blood from the back of the eye, you could not see it just by looking at my eye. This meant after each op that i could not have a drink and was told to pack in football as heading the ball could cause another bleed. Here i was 21 told to retire from football which i was playing at a high level in the local leagues and my social life suffered as did my mental health did. Only about 6 months later i was told i needed to see a renal consultant who told me that i would need a new kidney by the time i was 30, i was shocked and for 4 years only thought about myself hurting people in the process who did not warrent it. I still went out for a drink and i think it was about when i was 25 that a girl asked me if she could catch diabetes if we kissed, i said no but i was raging inside, so after that i told everyone that i was a diabetic. I also had 4 ops on my hands and elbow, as my mental health went up and down. I got to 30 and my renal function stayed steady at 25% which no one could understand and also had two children now, so i was a dad, diabetic and a partner and everything we did had to be planned but we split up when i was 34 and the stress and heartache of my children means i took my eye off my diabetes so i got a insulin pump from my local hospital but they could not get my levels right so i went to the Freeman Hospital at Newcastle and for the first time in years i had hope. My children moved in with me when i was 36 so social life was put on hold and on the 17th of April 2015 i had a pancreas and kidney transplant after a rough year the transplant was working great. The only thing was with having normal sugar levels the effects of the damage of the diabetes came to light, my nerve endings were done for, my arms and legs would go numb, when they did the transplant they took some nerves away from the bladder which led to my bladder being able to hold at least 8 pints of fluid before i needed the toilet. The bladder damage led to me going from 83kg to 107kg in a week, i am now back down to about 90kg. My bowels are also damaged and i am in constant pain that i have lidocaine infusions about once a month as well as my other appointments( in 2016 i had 62 appointments to see different doctors and that does not included stopping in hospital). So here i am today after having a double transplant diabetes is still ruling my life and it has had a major effect on my social life, do i regret having the transplant, no because i am watching them grow up. It does not only effect my life but the people closest to me, this is just a brief outline of what i have gone through so if you want anymore questions answered then just ask and good luck.
Gosh, you really have been through the mill. Sorry to hear that but well done for being there for your children. Respect.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ashwin24,
That's a huge question.

Successful treatment of T1 demands maintaining a blood sugar of 4 - 7 mmol. Lower that this and hypoglycaemia occurs, higher and hyperglycaemia happens. The effects of hypoglycaemia are immediate, progressing through cognitive and physical decline to unconsciousness.

Eating:

well said fairy godmother that was amazing :)

ashwin24

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Are there any positive impacts of insulin therapy?

JoeT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Staying alive might be one of them !

Even though my reading aren't consistently good yet, I'm a much happier person I think in general.

I do think, for me personally anyway, sometimes reading a lot of the negative impacts it's having on peoples lives, or what they describe as negative, can have an adverse effect.

Depends on the person I guess. I really have like Jen Grieves videos and blogs.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Goodness yes. Being alive for one. Being able to lead a more or less ‘normal’ life - work (the enjoyable bits), family, children, travel, social interactions, are and have been possible for me thanks to the wonderful work of scientists and doctors. Before Banting and Best isolated insulin I would have died - I’d have missed 48 years of a life that’s had a lot of really good things as well as the tough stuff.
Research continues and I hope that the funding will too.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Positive is relative. As a type 1, there is no alternative to insulin therapy except death. There are more options now than ever before. Insulin pumps, faster-acting insulins and more stable basal insulins mean better quality of life with the disease than in the 1990s, 80s or prior. It is still a very difficult thing to manage and get right though. You can't understand it until you've lived it.

D

Deleted Account

I think I may have a slightly different take on this question.
I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in my 30s. I had a life which I was used to: I had chosen my career; I had activities - sporty and otherwise that I considered my hobbies; I loved trying different foods; I travelled all over the world; I had established friendships; I considered myself healthy.
15 years later, very little has changed in my life: I still work in the same career and diabetes has not held me back, I still participate in similar activities and sports, I still enjoy trying out new foods and drinks, I have travelled to even more exciting and exotic locations, I still have the same friends and I still think of myself as healthy (especially for my age :))
There are a few things that are different:
- I know the shortest route to my local hospital and how long it takes to walk there ... but only because of annual diabetes reviews
- My driving license needs to be renewed every three years
- I know far more about how my body works
- I know how many carbs are in potatoes and mangos and peas and fish and cheese and sushi and ... and I am not bad at guessing
- I can't leave the house with only my keys and phone
- I have joined forums and write my own blog
- I have to plan a little bit but that has not stopped spontaneity - I have travelled to the US for work at less than 24 hours notice, I have suddenly decided to stay overnight because I was too tired to go home, I eat out on a whim, ... - I guess it depends on yout definition of spontaneity

leahkian

The positives of insulin is that we are all here to talk about it and all have different views on it. In the early 80's is was much more rigid with insulin and food but now with research things are light years away from the 80's. The only thing is that more people are getting diabetes and it will change there lives but not control them as it did me when i got it. I do hope soon they find a cure to stop people getting diabetes and then they will not have to use insulin at all, as for now most type 1 diabetics have a diabetes nurse who they can phone if they have a problem which is great to have. The positive things that i have taken is that with insulin you could live where as other diseases you do not get that choice and diabetes is a growing market for insulin makers so there always trying to improve things. I am still here yes things have not always gone my way but after i get upset then i go in to fighter mode, diabetes has took some of the things i would have liked to have done but it has not taken my life. So yes there are positives with insulin and i know some people have a bad time when they are ill, it has given me a chance to be a father to my children and i would go through it all again just to have such caring children, They keep me going just a smile or to see them laughing makes taking insulin the best thing ever and they say money can't buy you love but insulin can keep you alive to be not a normal dad but to be the best dad you can be.

Reactions: Peppergirl