Doing Low-Carb but not losing weight

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with Type II about two months ago, and decided to try and tackle it by changing my eating habits, specifically by avoiding carbs.

However, I've only lost about 10 lbs in that time. I'm worried that if I don't lose my belly then I won't be able to bring down my HbA1c to a more normal level.

I haven't eaten bread, white pasta, cereal, cakes etc. since getting diagnosed. However, I do drink about half a bottle of red wine most evenings.

I just wondered what I should be doing, or not doing, to lose more weight. I'm 56, 5'8" and about 17st.

• Hug
Reactions: Guilty and Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
10ibs weight loss in two months is a pretty fair rate, @IanBish.
Are you also keeping a record of your blood glucose levels, in order to monitor how your change diet is affecting them?

Reactions: Guilty and HSSS

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have a blood glucose meter - would that help identify which foods to avoid to lose more weight?

I've been watching Kevin Fung and Ken D Berry videos on YouTube, and they seem to imply that wight loss could be quite a bit faster.

Reactions: Angela64

Sax

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
No longer being prescribed metformin.
It’s going to be hard to lose more weight than what you are losing unless you start doing marathons every week or starve yourself. A pound of fat is enough calories to feed you for 2 days with no other sustenance, you’re carrying literal months of energy on your body and it doesn’t magically disappear no matter what YouTubers claim.

Reactions: Pipp and Brunneria

Liam E

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with Type II about two months ago, and decided to try and tackle it by changing my eating habits, specifically by avoiding carbs.

However, I've only lost about 10 lbs in that time. I'm worried that if I don't lose my belly then I won't be able to bring down my HbA1c to a more normal level.

I haven't eaten bread, white pasta, cereal, cakes etc. since getting diagnosed. However, I do drink about half a bottle of red wine most evenings.

I just wondered what I should be doing, or not doing, to lose more weight. I'm 56, 5'8" and about 17st.
10lb in a couple of months sounds like a perfect rate of weight loss to me.

Often the very rapid weight losses you will hear about will be people that had a huge amount of weight to lose.

Diabetes is very hard on the liver, as is drinking alcohol. Would you consider cutting the red wine to a once a week treat rather than every night for a month or two to see what difference that makes?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Noting that you were specific about "white" pasta.
All pasta is carbohydrates, so I think you should be eating no pasta at all.

Could you please give us a rough guide to what you eat each day?
You may be eating more carbohydrates than you think.

Having said that, a pound a week is a very good rate of weight loss and is also likely to be sustainable in the long run, so well done!

Oh, and the red wine may be bad for your liver but is not likely to be the main culprit in maintaining weight.
Beer, on the other hand, is also known as liquid toast.

Reactions: Pipp and HSSS

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @IanBish I agree with @LittleGreyCat, 1 to 2lbs weight loss per week is the sweet spot. Any less than 1lb per week (on average since it isn't a straight line) may be a bit too easy, and over 2lbs is probably trying too hard and so less likely to stay the course.

both the Blood Sugar reduction and the weight loss (if required) need to be sustainable ! There is no point treating your body like a yoyo, since large fluctuations in both Blood Glucose and in weight can be as damaging as continuously higher than ideal level is.

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!

Cut wine to one medium glass.

Reactions: MissMuffett

Angela64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
T2 and PAF & now Haemochromatosis!

My T2 diagnosis was 2 years ago. I had NO symptoms or indications till went ‘vacant’, light ms in no one’s there Not a stroke or seizure ‍♀️ I went low carb high protein. I still eat a little bread, I bake my own. Odd treat of tiny cake etc but…
Lost about 3 stone which I’d put on due to menopause and heart drugs ‍
I have a monitor as I was given one in hospital and I take readings at least twice a day. My ‘numbers’ make no sense, quite good but should be lower considering but not‍♀️ I developed heart conditions SVT, PAF then the T2D now looks like I may have None alcoholic fatty liver disease
Had diagnosis of Haemochromatosis, iron overload and these can be the result

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have a blood glucose meter - would that help identify which foods to avoid to lose more weight?

I've been watching Kevin Fung and Ken D Berry videos on YouTube, and they seem to imply that wight loss could be quite a bit faster.

It's a marathon - a life-long marathon - not a sprint. My weight reduced at about the same rate as yours, and my HbA1c gradually came down. Stick at it, however:

"I haven't eaten bread, white pasta, cereal, cakes etc. since getting diagnosed. However, I do drink about half a bottle of red wine most evenings."

Brown bread & pasta still gets metabolised to glucose so need avoiding most of the time.

And about that wine... whilst that 1/2 bottle of wine won't affect your BG much, it's too much to be drinking. Government advice now is 14 units per week, and most bottles of red wine contain about 10 units, so you are drinking 3 times the recommended amount!

EBe66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like you could still do better on the food/drink side of things. Other than that I can only say I feel your pain ;)
Type 2 for about 18 years, trying to loose weight for the same amount of time. Trying to live up to the doctor's mantra of eat less exercise more.
For the last 2 years I have been on a basically low carb high fat diet of most times 15/20 gr of carbs a day (yes sometimes I'm naughty) and cycling ~4000km a year on one meal a day. Most of that time also walking every lunch break. And for the life of me I can't shift the weight.
So you are actually doing pretty good! Keep it up, but I would say look seriously at your diet, most of us are told to switch to wholegrain products because they are "better". While really they should say there are, at best, somewhat, and not much at that, "less bad".
In my opinion, testing yourself helps a lot. I also thought I did the best I could until , in my case, I bought a cgm and actually saw what happened.
Despite me having big troubles with the cgm's the last year the results sometimes still amaze me. For example I also drink (trying bring it down), because of the cgm I know drinking port does nothing negative to my sugar until I bought an other brand of port two weeks ago, surprise, big spike. Testing is the only thing that will tell you what happens to 'you' with a certain food/drink. And yes it's expensive, but a cgm tells you the whole story in my experience.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the replies. I agree with some, and thanks for the encouragement too.

What I eat (which I think is fine):
* Steak (mainly sirloin) / salmon or pork chops with fried mushrooms and broccoli / cauliflower
* Red or green Thai curry with chicken, beef or salmon, plus sugar snap peas and baby sweetcorn
* Mushroom, cheese and ham omelettes
* Tina and mayonnaise with boiled eggs
* Full-fat Greek yoghurt with blueberries
* Crab sticks
* Nuts

What I eat (which could be problematic):
* Occasional Chinese takeaway - either a Foo Yeung or beef and green pepper in black bean sauce
* A small portion of egg fried rice (I know, but it is a small portion)
* Scotch eggs (quite low in carbs)
* Crustless quiches (quite low in carbs, I think)
* Small portions of coconut rice to go with Thai curry above
* 85% cocoa dark chocolate

I haven't eat any bread (apart from SRSLY bread), white pasta, potatoes, cake, pizza, chips, etc. And I've had wholewheat pasta once, which I didn't like.

I've taken on board your points regarding the wine. I intend to work towards keeping it for the weekend only.

Reactions: CatsFive

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
<snip>

I've taken on board your points regarding the wine. I intend to work towards keeping it for the weekend only.

I accidentally gave up drinking almost completely! I got a bad cold, don't drink when I have a cold, 3 weeks later realised I didn't miss it so unless I'm out for a meal or have some over to eat I don't drink.

What I did find is that it was a habit marking the end of my employer's time and the beginning of my time - I worked mostly at for 25 years until I retired. I have no problems having alcohol in the house. It sits undrunk in the cupboard & fridge and I gave a load away earlier this year.

Chocolate is another matter completely. Cheese is tricky as well!

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for all the replies. I agree with some, and thanks for the encouragement too.

What I eat (which I think is fine):
* Steak (mainly sirloin) / salmon or pork chops with fried mushrooms and broccoli / cauliflower
* Red or green Thai curry with chicken, beef or salmon, plus sugar snap peas and baby sweetcorn
* Mushroom, cheese and ham omelettes
* Tina and mayonnaise with boiled eggs
* Full-fat Greek yoghurt with blueberries
* Crab sticks
* Nuts

What I eat (which could be problematic):
* Occasional Chinese takeaway - either a Foo Yeung or beef and green pepper in black bean sauce
* A small portion of egg fried rice (I know, but it is a small portion)
* Scotch eggs (quite low in carbs)
* Crustless quiches (quite low in carbs, I think)
* Small portions of coconut rice to go with Thai curry above
* 85% cocoa dark chocolate

I haven't eat any bread (apart from SRSLY bread), white pasta, potatoes, cake, pizza, chips, etc. And I've had wholewheat pasta once, which I didn't like.

Do you make the Thai green curry yourself? If not there could be hidden carbs like thickeners, palm oil, maltodextrin (sweeteners) all of which will raise you blood glucose and a raised BG will stop you loosing weigh. Sugar snap peas (the clue is in the title) and baby sweetcorn are one the worst veggies you could choose, stick to broccoli, even green beans and try cauliflower rice with your curries instead of the regular rice. My favourite veg now is roast cauliflower florets which I have with my homemade chicken curry. Also your body will be getting rid of the Toxin in your liver (ie the red wine) before it deals with anything else. Could you have just one glass a night. Give yourself a 30 day challenge and see what your results are. Good luck and keep trucking

Reactions: HSSS

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to @CatsFive and @MissMuffett for the replies.

I can see half a bottle of red wine from where I'm sitting. I won't even think about it until later on this evening. I think it's turned into a bit of a habit with me. I hardly drink beer any more, maybe two or three pints a week. Thanks for the encouragement, I'll see what I can do.

The Thai curry is from a kit. Just a pouch of coconut milk, a packet of curry paste, and packet of chillis and herbs. I didn't realise about the sugar snap peas nor the baby sweetcorn. They were a recent addition of mine, and I can easily go back to broccoli and cauliflower florets.

I have some riced cauliflower in the freezer. I did try some with a curry, but it was just a bit odd. Maybe I could fry it first?

I'm trying, but learning too. Fair point about the alcohol, and I'll ditch the sugar snaps and sweetcorn. Just as well I like green beans, I suppose.

Thanks again, both.

• Friendly

MissMuffett

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Definitely fry the cauliflower rice, it’s lovely fried with butter until it goes slightly browned

Reactions: IanBish

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I am sure it would. If you record BG levels on waking, then immediately before eating each meal, then 2 hours after starting each meal, and keep a record of levels and what you have eaten, you will soon see patterns emerging that will identify what foids and drinks you need to avoid.

Also, lots of us find that by reducing the blood glucose levels , excess weight loss occurs. I would recommend concentrating on blood glucose levels.

CatsFive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to @CatsFive and @MissMuffett for the replies.

I can see half a bottle of red wine from where I'm sitting. I won't even think about it until later on this evening. I think it's turned into a bit of a habit with me. I hardly drink beer any more, maybe two or three pints a week.
<snip>

Unfortunately from a carbohydrate PoV nearly all beer is worse than dry wine. :(

• Agree
Reactions: Pipp

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@IanBish The crab sticks are probably high carb - they are normally not all crab by any stretch.
Sweetcorn is a grain, though not as high carb as some, it can still add up if eaten regularly.
If you cook cauliflower in two lots of water - drain after 5 minutes and start again, that will remove the flavour if it is that you don't like. I used to cook swede like that, to make it a potato substitute, but now I use a pressure cooker and double the water from the start.