Donating Bone Marrow

cbd5

Somebody at my University has been diagnosed with Hodgkins and as a result needs a bone marrow transplant. They are therefore testing as many people as they can to see if they can find a match. It's something I would like to do, even if I don't match the student, I would like to donate some bone marrow to someone that I do match. It upsets me that I can't donate blood either. Researching on the internet, the only reason I can find for not being allowed to donate bone marrow is the fact that it is an operation and diabetics do not heal as well as others. I am young, I have no problems with my circulation and I am well controlled, as well as living a healthy lifestyle. In my mind, so what if it takes me a month to heal instead of a week? The healing period is irrelevant when I could save someones life. Is there any way that I could donate?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
You could contact them and ask why you shouldn't. I can't give blood, because I take Levothyroxin and Lisinopril, and they may affect bone marrow as well. Also because I am now too old! :(

I think it's great of you to want to be a donor :clap: . Do ask them; explain what you've put in your post, and see what they say. There may be a very good reason, but maybe no-one has thought it through before, so they may accept you. The worst they can say is "no" - and at least you'll know why :D

Viv 8)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
cbd5 said:
Somebody at my University has been diagnosed with Hodgkins and as a result needs a bone marrow transplant. They are therefore testing as many people as they can to see if they can find a match. It's something I would like to do, even if I don't match the student, I would like to donate some bone marrow to someone that I do match. It upsets me that I can't donate blood either. Researching on the internet, the only reason I can find for not being allowed to donate bone marrow is the fact that it is an operation and diabetics do not heal as well as others. I am young, I have no problems with my circulation and I am well controlled, as well as living a healthy lifestyle. In my mind, so what if it takes me a month to heal instead of a week? The healing period is irrelevant when I could save someones life. Is there any way that I could donate?

Hi can I just say it a wonderful thing that you are willing to help a fellow student :thumbup: Lots of people with diabetes have operations, I had my first operation at nearly 43 and recovered very well and quickly. Ask them why you can't donate and see if it's a proper medical reason why you can't,if they say no. Keep on trying if you really want to help, also have you asked your GP yet? as they or your DSN what know of your medical history and diabetes control. Good luck

Best wishes RRB