dont think i eat enough hungry all time ?

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
so confuseing dietbetic nurse is telling me one thing and forum saying no no don't

I was in the same position as you 3-4 weeks ago, totally confused about the whole thing having been brought up to believe eating fat is a big no-no, but with the help of this forum I've more or less got the hang of it now :)
My glucose levels have come right down and I've lost a bit of weight by following the low carb high fat diet.

A few things I've found helpful, I've swapped potatoes with celeriac. I'd never tried it before but you cook it in the same ways you can cook spuds, boil, roast, mash, chips, and it's much lower in carbs, great if you're used to having potatoes with most meals.
And drinks like coffee and cocoa that you normaly make with all milk (well i did anyway) I now make with water but with a big dollop of double cream, the cream has no carbs while dairy milk does. I have that between meals if I'm hungry, also a piece of cheese or a boiled egg can help the hunger till the next meal.
My new favourite is a pickled egg but i know they're not for everyone ;)
And I've found low carb crackers and crispbread that I have instead of bread. I thought I'd really miss bread but I haven't! I bought a wholemeal Nimble last week and today I threw it away as it was starting to go mouldy and I hadn't even opened it.
Oh, and you can have red wine and peanuts for an evening treat, that's my kind of diet! :D

I know it sounds daunting to start with but once you start reading, especially the Low Carb forum, you'll soon get the hang of it. And lots of us here recommend the books 'Eat Fat' thread about it here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/eat-fat-trudi-deakins-new-book.70669/ and 'Carbs & Cals' http://www.carbsandcals.com/products/carb-and-calorie-counter-book/ both are invaluable when you're starting out, easy to read and understand.

Reactions: 6 people