Don't understand Hba1c results ?

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Have just rung the clinic and have been given my Hba1c results over the phone. My Hba1c = 6.0 which is ok but it also had Hba1c IFCC "standardrise"? = 42.1. This was highlighed with high written on it. What does this mean ?

sorry for being a numpty but can't see the nurse until 12th July !!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ring the clinic back and ask what it means if they dont now ask to be rung by someone who does.You cannot wait so long worrying CAROL

jopar

The 42.1mmol/ml is the new standarised measurement that brings us in line with most of the world... It should have been in by now and we all should be given this new measurement, but the have extended it for a while, but soon not sure when the old % will be dropped

here's a list to what % equals what mmol/l
http://baspath.co.uk/Hba1c_table.pdf

P.S

6% or 42.1mmol/l still good going well done

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
why would this have been flagged up as high?
CAROL

Lemonie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies .. I understand now that it's the same figure. I think somebody has glanced at the results and missread them.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a HbA1C test done in April (at my request) and when I phoned the surgery they wouldn't give me the figures over the phone, just that it was ok and no action was needed. I queried this and was told that they didn't give figures out in case they got it wrong.

I had to wait to find out what it was when I visited my GP for something else this week. It was 5.6%, it doesn't appear that my surgery is using the new figures...

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
My surgery is inconsistent on this and it almost depends on who answers the phone (there are a number of receptionists).

I've had all of:
- Your reading is xx.
- You need to make an appointment with the doctor to find out. First available next week.
- You need to ring the doctor within this 15 minute slot tomorrow. Not available any other time.
- The doctor needs to look at it and write a note of what to tell you. Then I'll tell you that. I don't know when that will happen.

I am trying to get set up on something in Scotland called "My diabetes, my way", which apparently will allow me to see all my results on line at the same time as the doctor. It's going a little slowly but things are happening.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Dougie22 said:
I am trying to get set up on something in Scotland called "My diabetes, my way", which apparently will allow me to see all my results on line at the same time as the doctor. It's going a little slowly but things are happening.

Great idea Dougie, but I can see why things may take a while all the time many doctors have the attitude that we, the great unwashed, wouldnt understand and that only they with all their wisdom can have access to anything remotely medical.

Of course these are our results and we should have access to all the information relating to our health made available to us.

Dougie22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Doctors have the attitude that we, the great unwashed, wouldnt understand and that only they with all their wisdom can have access to anything remotely medical.

As far as I can see, I do not need the doctors permission to join this service. My right to the information is assumed. The only thing I need from my surgery is confirmation of my identity. I will be connected to an editited version of SCI-DC and see all my hospital results and letters.

I'll let you know how it goes (though not for a couple of weeks due to holidays).

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It's common practice that staff who aren't medically trained don't give out precise test results unless the doctor has authorised them to. It's not about whether you're entitled to the information, but of understanding the implications of the result and getting answers to your questions/concerns. Its to avoid needless worry.

Obviously most long-established diabetics would understand an HbA1c result, but that doesn't mean we understand all blood tests. Bear in mind all the posts we get here asking what blood sugar readings people should be aiming for, or panicking about a reading being 'high' when its actually fine.

My hospital has used both old and new HbA1c numbers for about 2 years, but if I mention a result in the new numbers they ask what it is "in old money".