Don't you get bored?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Sarah69

Why not attend the dietitian? - even if they go down the eatwell plate route it will be better than what you are doing now.

You say all you like to eat is cakes and biscuits - so why not just make a cuddly load of low carb cakes and biscuits and eat them instead of shop bought - there is a massive amount of recipes on the internet and many can be frozen. I know it takes a bit of work to bake them yourself but then you only have to spend a couple of hours a week baking and freezing

I wouldn't recommend this to anybody else as it's not very balanced but for you as least it's reducing your carbs which is your main problem at the moment

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
And what about speaking to your doctor about your high metformin SR - according to your signature 3000mg? That's the biggest red flag to me in your situation. You may be taking a drug dosage that is giving you many side effects. The recommended highest dose is 2000mg, but you appear to be taking more. Many people report changes in taste, smell, nausea, etc. when taking even the recommended amount, yet you're exceeding that.

http://www.medicines.org.uk/EMC/medicine/20952/SPC

I will be making an appt with my gp. I rarely take 3000 because I forget to take the lunchtime dose. So really it's only 2000 I take. Your making it sound as though I prescribed myself that amount of metformin, it was prescribed by the diabetic consultant at the diabetic clinic at the hospital, it must be safe if it's been prescribed for me? If your saying metformin has these symptoms it may explain why sometimes I get sudden bouts of nausea?!

Reactions: Freema

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it must be safe if it's been prescribed for me?
It may be 'safe' in that it won't immediately harm you but it may be affecting your tastebuds and appetite to such a degree that your diet is unsafe long term. I would ask if I could stop taking it altogether for a while to see if that makes any difference. There's no point taking something that will only drop your BG levels by a small amount if it means you can only eat high carb foods.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will be making an appt with my gp. I rarely take 3000 because I forget to take the lunchtime dose. So really it's only 2000 I take. Your making it sound as though I prescribed myself that amount of metformin, it was prescribed by the diabetic consultant at the diabetic clinic at the hospital, it must be safe if it's been prescribed for me? If your saying metformin has these symptoms it may explain why sometimes I get sudden bouts of nausea?!
I'd say it's more than likely that metformin is causing at least some, if not all, of your issues. I guess I don't have the faith in doctors that you do - I don't trust them to check anything before prescribing. The insert for the drug I linked to above clearly says 2000 is the maximum recommended dose.

There's quite a strong percentage of people who cannot tolerate metformin in any form - I seem to recall @Jay-Marc has quoted the exact details a while ago.

Just as an illustration - I'm one of those people. Within 3 months of taking the minimum dose of metformin SR (500mg), I developed bleeding gastritis and a ferritin deficiency due to the occult bleeding.

I wasn't implying that you were dosing yourself, just that you needed to check why you'd been given a dosage above the norm.

Reactions: Prem51

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
Sarah, you've gone on the defensive again . We have all got our problems, you ask for help and all we can do is give you our suggestions, not wave a magic wand.
Think on it this way. If you suddenly developed a serious allergy to the food you live on, you would not have a choice but to eat other food. Would you enjoy it? Probably not, not for quite a while - but then you would learn to adapt, and make the things you don't like, into things you do.

You have that choice. I know you say often that your diabetes doesn't bother you, but it's obvious that it does - otherwise you wouldn't be considering what you can do?
Yes, I know you've seen a psychologist but you can go back and ask for a specific referral to CBT. In some areas of the country, you can refer yourself. I hear the frustration but only you can change this situation.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Its unusual for Metformin to give sudden bouts of nausea. When I was on the normal Metformin I just felt sick all the time with a badly upset tummy that meant I couldn't be more than 15 seconds from a toilet. :(

Hi @Sarah69
You say all you like to eat is cakes and biscuits - so why not just make a cuddly load of low carb cakes and biscuits and eat them instead of shop bought - there is a massive amount of recipes on the internet and many can be frozen. I know it takes a bit of work to bake them yourself but then you only have to spend a couple of hours a week baking and freezing

I wouldn't recommend this to anybody else as it's not very balanced but for you as least it's reducing your carbs which is your main problem at the moment

I agree with @lovinglife - if you can tolerate eating cake then low carb cakes are much better for you and, in my opinion, taste a lot nicer than shop bought.

I have met a few people with eating phobias before but none that are in your particular situation. A couple of them have slowly overcome their problem by introducing one new food at a time and repeately forcing themselves to eat one mouthful of it with other food they like until they can tolerate it without vomiting, then moving on to the next new food. Are you taking a multi vitamin tablet each day?

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53

Hi please can you send me the recipe of your minestrone soup please. That is the first thing I have fancied eating for days!!

Soo

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Indy is not in a medical position to answer that and neither am I ... but that is a high daily dose given your own admission you at times forget to take the additional tablets. Nothing is safe for one as it might be for another. You know where your next appointment is. Not with DCUK members .... something with the GP

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's quite a strong percentage of people who cannot tolerate metformin in any form - I seem to recall @Jay-Marc has quoted the exact details a while ago.
It is roughly 1 in 8 people who can't tolerate Metformin at all on the gastric issues alone, not counting the other side effects that are fairly common (eg lack of taste) and the rarer ones.

Intolerance can develop over time, particularly on high doses. The maximum therapeutic daily dose in the UK is now considered to be 2g, but higher doses were given fairly routinely at one time and may still be in other countries. My suggestion is that unless anyone is already aware of a specific reason to be on a dose higher than 2g that they should discuss it the next time their condition is reviewed, especially if it may be causing other issues.

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well from all I have read 2000mg is the maximum dosis
The main side effect I have is I have to go to the toilet 3-4 times every night , which I have changed when I eat it early in the morning the whole dosis - and now I can again sleep like a baby

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Well from all I have read 2000mg is the maximum dosis
The main side effect I have is I have to go to the toilet 3-4 times every night , which I have changed when I eat it early in the morning the whole dosis - and now I can again sleep like a baby

I have just made a gp appt for 24th march. I was put on 3000 metformin about 2 years ago. I have tried some of the foods I don't like when other people have them and I don't like it. I have never liked wine but I try it now and again but I still can't stand it!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Its unusual for Metformin to give sudden bouts of nausea. When I was on the normal Metformin I just felt sick all the time with a badly upset tummy that meant I couldn't be more than 15 seconds from a toilet. :(

I agree with @lovinglife - if you can tolerate eating cake then low carb cakes are much better for you and, in my opinion, taste a lot nicer than shop bought.

I have met a few people with eating phobias before but none that are in your particular situation. A couple of them have slowly overcome their problem by introducing one new food at a time and repeately forcing themselves to eat one mouthful of it with other food they like until they can tolerate it without vomiting, then moving on to the next new food. Are you taking a multi vitamin tablet each day?

No I don't take vitamins.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Indy is not in a medical position to answer that and neither am I ... but that is a high daily dose given your own admission you at times forget to take the additional tablets. Nothing is safe for one as it might be for another. You know where your next appointment is. Not with DCUK members .... something with the GP
I don't 'make appointments' with DCUK members!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don't 'make appointments' with DCUK members!

I know these people are not medically trained, I never said I thought they were, you are putting words in my mouth!

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well in the end it is ones own choice if one will eat What is best for a diabetic person no one can force you and I guess People will give up giving advice if all suggestions are put down right away .. just want to wish you good luck on your journey

Last edited:

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Well in the end it is ones own choice if one will eat What is best for a diabetic person no one can force you and I guess People will give up givng advice if all suggestions are put down right away .. just want to wish you good luck on your journey

I'm not putting down things, I'm just saying though if I don't like a certain food no will I'm the world is going to make me like it! I will ask my dr about cbt when I go to the appt. Apart from that there's not much more I can do. I've asked here for suggestions because I just don't know what to do or who to ask for help. If I wasn't diabetic it wouldn't be a problem!

Reactions: kokhongw

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not putting down things, I'm just saying though if I don't like a certain food no will I'm the world is going to make me like it! I will ask my dr about cbt when I go to the appt. Apart from that there's not much more I can do. I've asked here for suggestions because I just don't know what to do or who to ask for help. If I wasn't diabetic it wouldn't be a problem!

Based on your description, your sense of taste and smell has changed and that is really limiting your choice of food. It has little to do with low carbs. But as @Indy51 pointed out, it could be due to medication.

I would discuss with the GP for a change, reduction or break in medication to see if your palate and nausea gets better over a week or two.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Based on your description, your sense of taste and smell has changed and that is really limiting your choice of food. It has little to do with low carbs. But as @Indy51 pointed out, it could be due to medication.

I would discuss with the GP for a change, reduction or break in medication to see if your palate and nausea gets better over a week or two.

Yes I'll do that when I go. Would you know what sort of other medication that my gp could prescribe? A silly question but can my gp change my medication or does it have to come from the diabetic clinic I go to?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
While reading this thread, many many members have made the suggestion it could be metformin and all I hear you saying is that you don't like low carb foods instead of addressing it could be your medication. Also as pointed out it might be better to lower or get off your medication and eat low carb like it or not until your taste buds change back to normal. Sweet foods have the most flavor and could be why they are the only ones you like but not good for diabetics of course. Many of us chose the low carb route to stay off or take smaller doses of meds if need be. Of course this needs to be discussed with your GP but I think some responsibility on your own part as far as diet is concerned needs to happen if you want to get off meds.
Met is known for stomach upset. Not a stretch it could be causing yours. And when the gut isn't right, the taste buds aren't right. When I'm sick there are very few foods that sound appetizing but when I'm well they all sound great.

I'm not trying to be condescending but people here are trying to help and they are all saying the same thing. You seem to be ignoring that until your last post. Glad you're going to your GP!!

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.

No, it wouldn't - but you are. I believe in honest speaking, so that's what I'll do.
There are many other conditions that force people to either restrict their diet, or have to change it completely.
Every suggestion given to you around diet is answered with "I don't like it". Like I said, I know many people that have to eat food that they loathe for the sake of their health - but they don't make a fuss about it. You're an adult, you have been given suggestions and it's up to you whether you follow them or not. But being so snappy with people that are trying to help isn't on. Maybe stop trying to find reasons why you can't - and "I don't like it", almost "and you can't make me like it" isn't a particularly good one - and find reasons why you can.