Don't you get bored?

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's an excellent post @Indy51
@Sarah69 please look at that link. If I were in your shoes I would print it, highlight Byetta and Metformin, as the side effects of both of those seem to be what you are describing as happening to yourself. Take it to the Dr with you and dont let them fob you off

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Sarah69 I'm still not sure what's going on with you, but I think it's clear that the metformin needs to be replaced with a medication that does not cause loss of appetite and nausea. Glad you've set up an appointment with the GP.

I'm so glad Indy51 thought to ask you if you're taking a multi-vitamin. Metformin depletes vitamin B12. This is important. You need to ask your doctor to check your B12 level. If your B12 level is chronically low over a period of time, it can make you very, very ill. Note the bolded symptoms near the end of the list.

Symptoms of a vitamin B12 deficiency can include: (6)

• Constantly feeling tired or chronic fatigue
  • Muscle aches and weakness
  • Joint pain
  • Difficulty breathing or shortness of breath
  • Feeling dizzy
  • Poor memory
  • Inability to concentrate well
  • Mood changes, like increased depression and anxiety
  • Having abnormal heart problems, such as palpitations
  • Poor dental health, including bleeding gums and mouth sores
  • Digestive problems like nausea, diarrhea or cramping
  • A poor appetite
  • A more serious deficiency can also cause a form of anemia called pernicious anemia, a serious condition that can cause memory loss, confusion and even long-term dementia
https://draxe.com/vitamin-b12-benefits/

Sarah, please watch this movie. It could be life changing for you...

The movie is based on the story of Sally M. Pacholok, R.N., B.S.N. who wrote the book, Could It Be B12: An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses. Read the book's reviews here... https://www.amazon.com/Could-Be-B12-Epidemic-Misdiagnoses/dp/1884995691/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1488825416&sr=1-1&keywords=could+it+be+B12?

fantastic movie

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hello @Sarah69 - yes, that was a big lunch with a huge amount of carbs. I'm pretty good at eating and I would have found that too much. The thing is, carbs don't really fill you up long term thats why people feel hungry a short while after having a Chinese. Try replacing some of it with something with protein - like maybe some cold chicken.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you like a sandwich try the protein breads that every one is doing - warburtons 9g carb, Tesco 10g carb Morrisons 8g carb.

They are brown bread but very near in taste and texture to ordinary bread as in not very seedy - make a sandwich with any protein you like - a SMALL bag of crisps and bake some low carb buns - even if you have 3 slices of the bread doing this will still be vastly lower carb than you are eating now. Then slowly reduce the amount of carbs over a couple of weeks - e.g. Drop a slice of bread and replace with a cube of cheese or a hard boiled egg. Next drop the crisps for something like a handful of nuts or more cheese. Do you like cheese? Make the cheese crisps I told you about in my earlier post

I think for you to radically change and try to drop your carbs low to quickly you will be setting yourself up to fail - a more measured reduction over a longer time may be doable for you

Reactions: Prem51

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for asking. Been meaning to do this for you all for some time now. I've added the Minestrone recipe below the picture I posted at the beginning of this topic so you can easily copy and paste it into a document on your computer. Enjoy. :)

@Winnie53 ahh Winnie what do I use instead of beef broth???? We don't sell beef broth in U.K. .

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53 ahh Winnie what do I use instead of beef broth???? We don't sell beef broth in U.K. .

I make my own. :)

Although that certainly isn't enough to have a cup a day of home made broth - so I either have a cup of beef bovril, or a mug of hot water with half a good quality stock cube dissolved in it. Or, if I have cooked using a stock cube that day, I don't bother. :)

If you fancy having a go at making your own (it is astonishingly easy, and delicious) then just google 'bone broth recipe'.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Do you like peanut or almond butter?? Nuts of any kind?

I like peanut butter, I sometimes get cravings for it and go through jars and jars! I eat either just from the jar or I like it with ice cream. I like peanuts and cashews.

Reactions: Winnie53

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I like peanut butter, I sometimes get cravings for it and go through jars and jars! I eat either just from the jar or I like it with ice cream. I like peanuts and cashews.
Those are great low carb options but have loads of calories. Still much better than sweets. Start there and maybe you can find a few other new low carb food. How about avacado/ guacamole??? Makes a great filling meal. You can add cilantro or basil, spices of your choice. It requires salt for me but I just smash it with salt and add whatever flavoring I want. Can be made into a smoothie too!

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
Those are great low carb options but have loads of calories. Still much better than sweets. Start there and maybe you can find a few other new low carb food. How about avacado/ guacamole??? Makes a great filling meal. You can add cilantro or basil, spices of your choice. It requires salt for me but I just smash it with salt and add whatever flavoring I want. Can be made into a smoothie too!
Thank you but I don't like avacado.

Reactions: Winnie53

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Over the years, I've used beef, chicken, and vegetable broth. Any will work fine. But in recent years, my preference is to use only organic broths and vegetables. :)

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sarah69 I sincerely hope you can review your medication.
In terms of what you like to eat and what you can't afford to eat without potential to hinder your health & well-being, I would advocate this is something to research as others are recommending too.
I hated Avacado but I've persevered and now they are part of my diet and I eat a couple a week in salads.
I can also appreciate the feeling of never feeling full-up on a carb-rich diet. It's one of the biggest revelations I've made on how I can now feel full on a fraction of what I once ate and I rarely get any cravings.
I'd also try really hard to focus on the positives - what you can eat that's low in carbs & not too calorific but also what you like or learn to like through resetting your sense of taste.
This might sound very blunt but if I had to make a choice between T2D complications and eating something I didn't like as much as something else that I knew was bad for me - I think you can guess what I might say.
Good luck with your challenge - I started by buying a simple pocket ready reckoner to what regular food provides in terms of grams of Carbs per portion and it shocked me - shocked with myself for not knowing this stuff before!

Reactions: Freema

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best thing I EVER learned was the difference in the feelings of full and satisfied- satisfied is about half a plate smaller than full!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The best thing I EVER learned was the difference in the feelings of full and satisfied- satisfied is about half a plate smaller than full!
HA!! I completely agree and never thought of it quite like that but it nail sit on the head. Full is uncomfortable. Satisfied is just not hungry anymore. And as you said, it's about half or even less than I used to eat or could eat. I just don't. I have 3 snack size meals and a few small fat snacks in between. So much easier on digestion too!! I refer to it as my gas tank prefers to be topped off rather than emptied and filled.

Jinx1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I struggle with a low carb diet as i work away from home during the week so eat out all the time , i am allergic to the protein in milk so no Cheese , cream etc , any suggestions!

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum @Jinx1066 :)

That's a great question. I'm sure we have others on the forum who work outside their community during the week. I suggest posting your question on the Low-carb Diet Forum here... http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/low-carb-diet-forum.18/

Let us know if we can walk you through how to start a new topic. It's also helpful if you mention which country you live in. My husband travels half the year. I'll try to respond to your question after work tonight. (I'm in the USA).